New Immortal Technique Interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Immortal Technique Interview

CA : I want to know how you feel about your current position in Hip-Hop, are you comfortable where you are?

Tech : I moved about 9000 units on my own in the hood and Carolineís has taken about 6/7 thousand and has distributed them for me. They are to date probably going to re-up at the end of the month and order more. I'm not comfortable but I have achieved a level of success in the underground that is definitely above where I was at this time last year. People in the hood sometimes recognize me from articles in The Source, from the battles I did in the past and of course because of public access TV programs that I'm on.

CA : Thatís good for right now, you always gotta push for that next level, so what are you trying to achieve in the future?

Tech : A powerful label and a movement that doesn't include just Latino and Black people but all people who are being oppressed worldwide. I'm not trying to save the world, just make it more difficult for those who control it to do business as usual. My time will come and I will die or be killed. But hopefully someone will follow up my work...

CA : Thatís realÖ What makes you different then most emcee's out there today?

Tech : I rely on skills, not a bunch of promotional gimmicks, and fake portrayals of a non existent lifestyle. I never claimed I owned 50 crack spots, or that I was being chased by the Feds although I probably am now. I just kept it real about who I was, I was born in a military hospital lived in the hood in Peru. I'm Peruvian and Black, lived lower middle class, and watched my family rise to middle class. Didn't have a lot of dough growing up though so I used to steal cars, rob *****z, break into cribs, write graff. I used to start fights all the time and cut school. I was just on some thug shit, but I found meaning to the struggle that existed in the ghetto. I walk through Harlem with a different approach and think about how we who once handed science, math, and political thought to Europeans now live in this degenerate state. I'm a street ***** who went to college, got sent to prison, throw in the hole and when I got out won mad battles and had some bitch ass labels try to play me...unsuccessfully. I'm just rep me, my people and all the *****z that are tired of shit the way it is.

CA : Everyones gotta get right some time, itís nice to know you already have that under control. Who influences you musically?

Tech : In terms of Hip-Hop, KRS1, Rakim, Kool G Rap, Kane, Slick Rick, and I basically am really focused on working with my peeps who provide all the inspiration I need, until I can afford to travel around the world. But Mumia, Malcolm X, Jan Hus, Che Guevara, Augusto Sandino, Francois Tousaint, Nat Turner, Jose Carlos Mariategui, and a slew of other people have taught me things, leading by example and all that reflects I my music.

CA : What advice do you have for cats that are just coming up and are trying to independently build and maintain themselves musically?

Tech : Fuck a demo. Make music, make albums, make mix tapes, make singles, make something. Demos go in the trash, so either get serious or stop rapping and flooding the market with the type of shit that lets *****z know you have no business rhyming.

CA : Thatís real serious advice right there, I hope cats are paying attention. Out of all your tracks, what single track sticks out in your head the most?

Tech : Dance with the Devil, cuz it's just that real.

CA : If someone only had one chance to hear one or two tracks from you what would they be?

Tech : The Point of No Return / The Dark Side of the Moon

CA : I heard somewhere that you like to read books, I forget where but it sticks out in my head because I pick up a couple books when I get the chance. Do you have anything as far as reading material that you feel the people checking this out should look into?

Tech : "Buying the American Presidency, The Clash of Fundamentalisms, Reagan Vs. The Sandinistas, Soul on Ice, The Autobiography of MalcolmX, The CIA and the cult of intelligence, The Apocrypha"

CA : Now we can just hope catís actually make the moves and take the initiative required to attain and read these books.
    There's one thing that Conn. Artists and our Affiliates all have in common. That's the hunger for real music and finding/creating the truth in Hip-Hop. What advice or suggestions do you have for cats that are out there struggling the same way we are to make real music, and to take matters into our own hands instead of being industry sheep?

Tech : Learn the business. It will add dimensions to not only your music but to the people that will have the opportunity to hear it and understand it.

CA : Yea, everythingís a business basically. Itís a fundamental requirement to understand these businesses to effectively get some things done in todayís world. It also seems that alotta so called "rappers" today put more emphasis in their lyrics for things like a new pair of sneakers as opposed to an education or a book. Your position on that?

Tech : Some people have different values in life, I never judge cuz it's not my place to. I know people who are very intelligent aware and gangsta when it comes to their personal business who like dope shit to wear on their feet. I know very ignorant stupid, ass backwards people who rhyme well who donít care about their kicks. Rarely do you find issues about peoples personalities that are black and white. I value education, very much so but without the proper curriculum (whether it's the streets or the classroom based on where you're coming up in) education can either cause progressive or repression.

CA: Thatís a real good point right there. Do you have anything in particular you'd like to say about Revolutionary 3, or any upcoming projects etc. Something you want to give everyone reading the heads up about?

Tech : Vol.3 is coming up, but I will probably release an Ep or a mix tape before that shit, something for the streets to listen to. Some hardcore shit, cuz that's what I do.

CA : No question, anyone who doesnít check out Vol. 3 is not someone really worth connecting with. Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 were the truth. What advice do you have on life in general that you want to be known?

Tech : Make the changes you want to see in the world in yourself first.
    You can think someone's trash without "hating" on them.

CA : Exactly. Now here's the part where you say whatever else you feel needs to be said. Musically, politically, anything. Just speak on what you want people to know and be aware of.

Tech : This question is cheap attempt at getting another Poverty of Philosophy out of me, so I'm gonna just end this review by saying that Real Hip-Hop is in the streets not online or in the booth, or the corporate office. It's in the ciphers, in the hood, and it's place is to address reality. Whoever's reality it's been chosen to do so for. And of course there are a lot of people who are not really down with the culture of Hip-Hop at all they just pimp it as a way of marketing their products to an audience that they didn't have access to previously...So in the immortal words of Ice Cube, "Think about it, you fuckin' sellout"...

Lol, why are people checkin the Lil' Kim pics like crazy and not paying any attention to this high quality interview with the illest emcee out..

Comment

Nice read, thanks for posting.
      NEPatriots 3x World Champions
      UNC Basketball 5x National Champions
      Charlotte Bobcats UHHHHHHH

Comment

Originally posted by Luis T.
        Nice read, thanks for posting.
        word.
        I don't ring my friends 24/7 crying I'm going to kill myself I don't even ring my girlfiend that much.Go ahead and kill yourself you want to the bullies do your 'True Love' does so go ahead.

Comment

lil kim is a far better an emcee than immortal teekniquesAKASpeedyGonzalez

Comment

fuck this shitty thread

Comment

^
              What a moron.
              Oh its true, its true

Comment

Canibus fan=Moron=2ndroundknockup

Comment

Good interview

Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet - CH'AN BUDDHIST
                  "Women like a fine wine only get better with age" - Finch
                  Audio Scrob - What Im Listening to
                  AIM Fileshare

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_Sniper
                    lil kim is a far better an emcee than immortal teekniquesAKASpeedyGonzalez
                    stfu
                    "fuck an image and a blunt, that aint rap dawg. be who you wanna be but let it be fact dawg"-obie

thanks to nick dizzle for my avy ::

Comment

good interview...he's also in XXL's Show and Prove section, for April 2004 (biggie on the cover)...

Comment

thanks man i cant wait for that ep/mixtape

Comment

The fuck's wrong wit u Simon_Sniper

Comment

Yup Yup looking forward to the mixtape of his which probably won't drop in a while though

Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet - CH'AN BUDDHIST
                            "Women like a fine wine only get better with age" - Finch
                            Audio Scrob - What Im Listening to
                            AIM Fileshare

Comment

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by WesleyDrake, 01-15-2021, 09:59 AM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes