NYPD Training Other Cities How To Spy On Rappers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYPD Training Other Cities How To Spy On Rappers

Despite denials from New York Police Department officials that a "hip-hop division" exists to maintain tabs on rap stars, a report in The Miami Herald on Tuesday suggests that the department does indeed run such an operation — and is sharing its data with other police departments around the country.

The Herald exposes the Miami Police Department's tactics of spying on hip-hop celebrities and their entourages when they descend onto South Beach to live, vacation or party. Officers admitted in the report that they regularly photograph rappers as they arrive at Miami International Airport, tap hotel and club workers for information on the celebs' comings and goings, and stake out hotspots and video shoots.

"A lot [of], if not most, rappers belong to some sort of gang. We keep track of their arrests and associates," Miami police Sergeant Rafael Tapanes is quoted as saying.

Information obtained on the rappers is apparently kept in a binder developed by the NYPD. It was shared at a specially arranged "hip-hop training session" last May that included officers from Los Angeles and Atlanta. The training session allegedly outlined the information kept in the binder and trained officers on what radio stations to monitor for information on new rivalries and what to look for in rap lyrics.

Artists profiled in the binder include 50 Cent, Eminem, P. Diddy, Jay-Z and Ja Rule. When called by MTV News, neither the NYPD nor the Miami Beach Police Department wanted to comment.

Some consider the tactics used by Miami police to be a form of racial profiling, but officials say they're concerned that since their city is a popular destination for rap celebrities, their citizens might get caught in the crossfire of emerging rap beefs.

"We have to keep an eye on these rivalries," Miami Beach Assistant Police Chief Charles Press told the paper. "The last thing we need in this city is violence."

For more on the NYPD's alleged monitoring of hip-hop culture, check out the feature "Hip-Hop Cops: Is The NYPD At War With Hip-Hop?"
    source: mtv.com

somehow i cant imagine p.diddy , jay-z & ja rule gang related
    E-Mail: [email protected]

Comment

it's cuz of their lyrics.
      oldskoolavatar

Comment

how stupid
        Bless it
        -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Respect isnt something that is given, you have to earn it.

Comment

thx man... i was just about to post this too.... it's actually a pretty good idea for the cops to watch these rappers because i dont wanna see another unsolved murder in rap, thats for sure.... shit, i dont even wanna see another murder in rap... period.

Comment

"A lot of rappers, if not most, belong to the same sort of gang"

??? Am I the only one who finds this statement about as ignorant as you can expect?

Also, monitoring rappers does not solve rap murders. Biggie was under surveillance from the FBI at the exact moment he was killed. Did they ever reveal who killed him? I'm not even sure they investigated. If they did, it was a sham because if he was under surveillance, I'm sure they know who the killer was. That might be EXACTLY why they don't investigate. They already know, and they are protecting someone(s).

Anyway, this is the wrong way to go about things....and it is racist because 99% of their suspects will be Black and most of those successful. Then they get targetted because they found a LEGAL way to make money. If they can't bust them on the block, they'll trump up some association charges to fit them with now that they make legal money......it's wrong.
            Would you let the system sit (shit) down on your head again? NO, DREAD, NO.
            Would you let the system
            make you kill your brother man? NO, DREAD, NO

Comment

Ooops....that should be "some sort" instead of "same sort". A little less ridiculous, but just as racist. Do they call Kid Rock's entourage and bodyguards a "gang". No, but the ROC would qualify as "some sort of gang" though, right? I wonder why? What's so different between them and Kid Rock?? Could it be that their entourage is Black? That makes them criminals and a gang, apparently....
              Would you let the system

Comment

^^ since when was biggie under fbi surveillance?

Comment

umm its well known biggie and bad boy were being watched by the police force, watch nick woteva his name is tupac and biggie documentary,think lil cease commets on cops all over and having photos second after biggie was popped
                  welcome to england, part of so-called great britain/
                  but there aint a fucking thing great, about the way that were livin/

Comment

can you expect anything less from the nypd?

Comment

this is so dumb
                      as if the top rappers like eminem (LOL) jayz (hes fucking rich wtf) and diddy (same)
                      would be the once that still do dirt
                      if i was the police i'd check on the wannabe rapstars and the newcommers

Comment

i think its kinda of stupid to look at there lyrics to decipher whos a potential threat....its just a publicity stunt cause half the rappers who they SHOULD keep under surveillance dont have a song on MTV, or arent in the top 40...
                        STC-2006

new tracks added

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=177432

Comment

the police and the fbi are two totally different organizations

Comment

Watch the Biggie and Tupac documentary. I am going from memory, but I believe it was the FBI who had Biggie under surveillance, according to them "because of the tension" of the brewing east/west conflict that apparently had taken Tupac's life.

I said apparently.

Anyway, whatever their real reasons were, I believe it was the FBI who was watching and taking pics of Biggie that day. If I'm wrong, then correct it please. As for FBI and police being different, yeah of course. But if the FBI don't get involved while you're being attacked, why would you think the police would. Consider that the FBI didn't get involved partially because this went higher than it looks to us. The gunman was allegedly an LA police officer (of duty).

So they're different, but just as unconcerned about the safety of rappers. They are also just as concerned with the destruction of rapper's lives. They're also just as profiling and racist, so from another point of view, they're really just two fingers on the same hand, from the victim's point of view.
                            Would you let the system

Comment

seen this on AOL

fucking pigs (hammersmi
                              Iceburg "SLIM", The Most "SHADY" .. Franky Baby

- Whats Beef?

NO !

You's Not BIG
                              ..and Pac
                              Not East VS West
                              Nigg-a This Is Least VS Best