X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10th Planet Found?

taken from cnn.com...

Scientists: Most distant object in solar system found
    Monday, March 15, 2004 Posted: 7:57 PM EST (0057 GMT)

(CNN) -- Scientists may have discovered the solar system's most distant object, more than three times farther away from Earth than Pluto.

"The sun appears so small from that distance that you could completely block it out with the head of a pin," said Dr. Mike Brown of the California Institute of Technology, who helped in the discovery.

The object -- about 8 billion miles (12.8 billion kilometers) from Earth -- has been given the provisional name of Sedna, after the Inuit goddess who created sea creatures of the Arctic.

Brown and his team of astronomers, using Caltech's Palomar Observatory, found Sedna in November as part of an ongoing three-year outer solar system project. Days later, the high power Spitzer Space Telescope focused on the object.

Initial details indicated Sedna to be made of ice and rock, with temperatures never rising above -400 degrees Fahrenheit (-240 degrees Celsius), according to researchers.

Sedna is likely the largest object to be found circling the sun since the discovery of Pluto in 1930. It is still smaller than the ninth planet, though, with a diameter of more than 1,000 miles (1,700 kilometers).

The finding has sparked debate over what constitutes a planet.

Many astronomers say Pluto, with a diameter of just under 1,500 miles (2,300 kilometers), is too small to be a termed a planet and is just one of many minor objects in the outer reaches of the solar system.

But those who argue Pluto is a planet are likely to push the assertion for Sedna to become the 10th planet in the solar system.

Does this mean another miniature planet must be added to all those fifth grade science projects out there?
    OZ HIP HOP.COM
    THE RAP CELLA

Comment

yepp
      aka Fifty0550

Comment

Why Cant They Name It Something Awesome, Sedna, BLAH! ... If You Made More Interesting Names Kids Would Wanna Leanr More About It
        If The Truth Is Told, The Youth Can Grow And Learn To Survive Until They Gain Control, Nobody Says You Have To Be Gangstas, Hoes, Read More, Learn More Change The Globe.

Comment

i heard about this on the news yesterday...im quite interested in that shit...i hope it is a planet they found....i cant imagine what the surface would be like considering its a lot further away from our sun that pluto and pluto is alreadymade of ice.
          cant wait for the updates
          Cain is for Charlie, and Delta is for Cain

Comment

yeah if they named it sumething like Ismar then it would be interesting you kno!

Comment

it just shows that theres more out there than just our solar system

Comment

yes...i just hope the is another planet out there just the same distance from their sun as we are from ours...hopefully it should have life on it...but by the time we find that i will be long gone

Comment

what amazes me is that this planet is still in the suns gravitational pull, even though its 8 billion 93 million miles away....just goes to show ya how fuckin huge the sun is

apparently a million earth's could fit inside the sun....thats way bigger then the mind can comprehend. And that red spot on Jupiter? That spot alone is the size of 3 earths. Makes u think.

Anyway, about Sedna, i heard on tv that there were prophecies about it in the bible, and some other scriptures....i neve really researched it myself, but it would be interesting to know.

ive shared my 0.02

pz
                  Check My New EP Diversify w. UK Producer Jay Dizla
                  Canada + UK Revolutionary Underground Hip Hop
                  Don't Sleep.

LOST

Comment

"it just shows that theres more out there than just our solar system"

No kidding? We're just a spec in the Milky Way, which itself is just another spec in the Universe. This is some cool shit though. With all the other stars and floating chunks of mass out there, theres bound to be a planet similar to Earth. Whether it contains a breeding ground for life who knows. Who's to say what they would even look like. We're not technologically advanced enough to know yet though. Considering the closest star to our Sun is 4.2 lightyears (lightyear - distance light travels in one year) away. So think about it... everytime you look into the sky at night, you're seeing into the past (atleast 4.2 years into depending on the star.)
                    "It's every man's dream to have a penis so large that he must hire a small boy to carry it."
                    "Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Comment

And didn't they find what they think to be frozen water on Mars? An essential for there to be life...

Besides who's to say that if their is life out there, what type of climate/environment they would strive in. Look at Earth. The climate/environment varies greatly between the different parts of our planet. Look how hot it is at the equator compared to the Poles. Maybe there are organisms out there that are built for extreme cold or hot climates. Who knows. Hopefully, given some miracle of technology, we'll be around to see a discovery that proves there is life. One can only hope...
                      "It's every man's dream to have a penis so large that he must hire a small boy to carry it."
                      "Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Comment

^ Yeah, I've thought about that before.

Another thing I thought about... You know how some people say "I believe there might be some kind of life out there but nothing like you see in the movies"? Well, why couldn't there be things out there that look like they came out of the Alien films? Look at Earth millions of years ago; it was inhabited by Dinosaurs. So why couldn't there be a planet out there with intelligent dinosaurs or some kind of other creature?

I'm interested in all this kind of stuff.

Comment

on mars there is water and microbes...so there is life on mars alone...jus tiny worms n shit. they reckon when the earth gets too close to the sun we are gonna move to mars... they are planning to litter the place to create an Ozone layer. then send these specific fungai u can find in the desert to mars to produce carbon dioxide...then send plants then animals...fascinatin shit realli

Comment

Originally posted by Retro Fo

apparently a million earth's could fit inside the sun....thats way bigger then the mind can comprehend. And that red spot on Jupiter? That spot alone is the size of 3 earths. Makes u think.
                            I heard that that spot is some huge storm or something like an hurricane...
                            Originally posted by Rog
                            "Let's go play some football, I'll rape you."
                            Originally posted by Rog
                            One day this girl was being dumb as hell so told her "shut the hell up or we'll rape you."
                            Originally posted by KessenGTR
                            RB is like an orgasm, but it's everlasting.

Comment

yeah it is

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by jeruheuiex, Today, 11:41 PM
                              0 responses
                              1 view