The Problem with My Band

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Problem with My Band

(This is a long but good read. Don't complain about the length)

My Band is a great single with a good concept behind it. It's definitely true that other band/group members are overlooked when there is one popular star in the group. And that's all fine and well but . . .

As I'm sure you all recall, one of the most defining characteristics of eminem in his early days was the fact that he despised pop music. He made fun of pop icons extensively while always claiming that he wasn't a pop star.

Fast forward to a few years to the My Band single. This single is against everything he stood for, and now it seems like he is a double standard. My Band is a pop song, plain and simple.

You may wonder how this is different from the other 'pop' songs he has released. The difference is the other pop songs were denoted as pop because they actually got to be mainstream/popular.

My Band was made with the intent of being a pop song. Everything from the bridge in the song to the video makes this blatently obvious. Eminem/d12 probably reason that releasing an intended pop song that makes fun of pop isn't pop. Hence, the double standard.

Furthermore, why can't d12 innovate? If you haven't realised, My Band has the exact same sound as got some teeth and without me. It even ends with eminem making a parody of mexican culture (instead of osama bin laden).

I'm not anti eminem/d12, it just seems like eminem "sold his talent for dollars" more so than self-admitted Jay-Z. I wish I could take eminem/d12 seriously as a rapper/rap group but I just can't. They're really in it just to make money.

I mean, they're not bringing anything to hip hop, plain and simple. They're (d12) riding this wave of eminem's "comedy hip-hop" in attempt to be famous and make money.

This is kinda sad because I'm sure they're capable of much more. I mean, Proof's verse on My Band was one of the best flows I've heard from him. Now if only, he could flow like that on a real hip hop track. . .as for Eminem, will we ever get another Drug Ballad, or Marshall Mathers for that matter? (Not necessarily the best lyrical song from him but it was something different and I personally liked it).

So yea, My Band is a good song, good verses (moreso from d12 imo than from eminem, surprisingly; but maybe this was intended) but wrong direction for hip hop. What does that matter though? Teeny boppers will eat this up, d12 will sell millions and everyone's happy except for those actually expecting substance. . .

Shitty deal but hey, welcome to the music industry.
    Last edited by trex; 03-18-2004, 03:36 PM.
    My Eclectic Music Taste

Last.fm Users,
    How Do You Listen To Music?

nerd
    www.thedonkilluminati.com

Comment

what? he still made fun of boy bands and shit in this one too...lol!

you thought WAY to deep into this. just wait for the rest of the album...
      I wonder if there's a heaven up there for Real Gs - Pimp C
      R.I.P
      I'm Jesus in reverse, the son of Satan with a firearm
      Water to blood, apocalyptic firestorm
      Vinnie Paz

Comment

Yea the single is a smart move sales wise........... i think purple hills didn't work out well cause of the fact it got very little air play. I personally liked purple hills a lot better though.

This video really gives the teenyboppers something 2 latch on 2. I don't even think is the song or video were done well at all, I don't care for it one bit, it doenst come off funny 2 me just dumb and annoying but i don't see many people feelin the same way. I don't understand how so many people could actually like this song but hey thats just me.

And i agree, I know d12 has a lot more 2 offer. I am hoping the album shows that.

Comment

every album Eminem or D12 come out with have a single that pokes fun of everything. (ex. Purple Pills, The Real Slim Shady, My name Is, and now My Band.)

Comment

i didnt even bother reading all of this garbage.... i guess you are new to Eminem's music and his formula when it comes to releasing singles...... every album eminem has ever released has ALWAYS had a poppy first single.... My Name Is, Real Slim Shady, Purple Pills, Without Me and now, My Band.... nothing is different at all.... so what's the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by whitemike_8_87
              every album Eminem or D12 come out with have a single that pokes fun of everything. (ex. Purple Pills, The Real Slim Shady, My name Is, and now My Band.)
              Yea but for some reason I appreciated those songs more as singles. They made poked fun at things like pop music but that wasn't the basis for the song/video.

My name is - poked fun at many things most notably bill clinton and monica lewinsky but the song served the purpose of introducing people to who this guy "eminem" was (hence the title).

the real slim shady - makes fun of anyone who tried to copy his style while making fun of pop icons. Basically shattered the hopes of anyone who was white and trying to rap (somewhat unfortunately i guess).

purple pills - this was different, poked a little fun at drugs . . .definitely not that popish, for that matter.

my band - blantent pop song that attacks the people for the wrong perception of d12. But the "pop-ness" of the song overshadows the intent. It seriously succeeds in seeming more like a backstreet boys song than a song trying to dissimiate the perception d12 is a band with eminem as the lead singer.

The video and the bridge in the song didn't help this. Why couldn't they perform as a rap group would while still have all the backroom scenes with groupies around eminem and the bras panties still being tossed on stage. Or even better have the "band" parody but show a rap group performance side so that the fact that they are a rap group is emphasized by the video.
              My Eclectic Music Taste

Last.fm Users,

Comment

My Band is one of the most original song I have head for 3 years. The video is insane. I'm fed up to see wanna be thugs and " Hip Hop purists " bitches who want just gay fake gangsta songs. D-12 are mocking themselves is this song.

" Wanna-be thugs and hip-hop "purists" will probably dismiss it as just another "commercial rap" track, but I say it's genuine hip-hop (conceptually intertwined with a little rock-and-roll, of course) in the form of a major rap star (Eminem) using musical satire to bring attention to his over-looked rap group (those other five guys). " - Marcellee -

And if you want to don't like it, don't like it, I don't care. People are always hating for something...
                Last edited by BlackSlimShady; 03-18-2004, 04:04 PM.
                Tupac, Biggie, Eminem, Big Daddy Kane, Nas, Big Pun, Big L, Jadakiss, Kool G Rap, Rakim, Lupe Fiasco, Crooked I, Lil' Wayne, Andre 3000, Canibus, Lloyd Banks, Immortal Technique.

Comment

Originally posted by Monk
                  i didnt even bother reading all of this garbage.... i guess you are new to Eminem's music and his formula when it comes to releasing singles...... every album eminem has ever released has ALWAYS had a poppy first single.... My Name Is, Real Slim Shady, Purple Pills, Without Me and now, My Band.... nothing is different at all.... so what's the problem?

It's one thing to read and then disagree but a whole other to blatently disregard the post, claim it's garbage, and try to infer what's being said. What's the problem? Read the post and find out then put in your two cents because you seriously look like an idiot with this post. Anything you asked/mentioned could be answered by actually reading the post.

Funny . . .I've always thought of you as one of the better people on these boards
                  My Eclectic Music Taste

Last.fm Users,

Comment

lol people that will buy d12s single are definitly not hard hood people that you would think of as hiphop / rap fans
                    its 12 year old kiddos

Comment

/\ I agree

Comment

you cant expect much from the first singles out of that camp...it has always been pop, goofy shit...it works for the teenyboppers very well...

the concept is interesting, but the song is wack and extremely annoying...hopefully, the rest of the album is much better...

Comment

for you to say that my band is any less or more pop than all of eminem's other first singles is ridiculous... my name is, real slim shady etc ect.... were all made for one purpose... to get the teenieboppers to purchase the album.. and then once the album is purchased you realize that the first single has nothing in common with the rest of the album.... so there is no problem with my band... it is exactly what everyone expected from the first single....

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSlimShady
                            My Band is one of the most original song I have head for 3 years. The video is insane. I'm fed up to see wanna be thugs and " Hip Hop purists " bitches who want just gay fake gangsta songs. D-12 are mocking themselves is this song.

" Wanna-be thugs and hip-hop "purists" will probably dismiss it as just another "commercial rap" track, but I say it's genuine hip-hop (conceptually intertwined with a little rock-and-roll, of course) in the form of a major rap star (Eminem) using musical satire to bring attention to his over-looked rap group (those other five guys). " - Marcellee -
                            That's a fair opinion. I don't agree with original. Original concept? I can agree to that. Original song? This is structured like every other pop song: verse-chourus-verse-chourus-verse-brige-verse (or something like that). It feels similar to without me and even borrows from the idea of making a parody at the end of the video.

I'm not a hip hop purist, in fact I've liked most other Eminem singles except for this. I mean, look at Kanye West . . .he's not as lyrically talented as Eminem imo, but I felt Through the Wire was original. Original concept (not the fact that he was in accident but the fact that he was another egotistical rapper, he was very down to earth). Pretty close to an original song (it sampled Chanka Khan's Throught the Fire).
                            My Eclectic Music Taste

Last.fm Users,

Comment

i kinda see wha he's sayin...i personally don't want fuckin teeny boppers listenin 2 the same music i do...b4 yesterday some of my girl friends didn't even kno who d-12 was...lol...like the song...now after they saw my band they all gone roun n singin it n its pissin me off...but he was stupid when he said they doin nuttin 4 hop-hop...c'mon now...D-12 is very original
                              "Fuck A Image And A Blunt...That Aint Rap Dog...Be Who You Want To Be But Let It Be Fact Dog" - Obie Trice

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by auriculo, Today, 09:06 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post auriculo  
                              Started by red rum, 11-21-2008, 01:21 PM