X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nelly Cancels Appearance Due To Protest Over His Videos

Nelly Cancels Appearance Due To Protest Over His Videos
    04.01.2004 3:37 PM EST

Don't look for the women of Spelman College to toast Nelly with Pimp Juice anytime soon. Upset over the way he portrays women in his videos, the historically black women's college in Atlanta has pressured the rapper and his foundation, 4 Sho 4 Kids, to cancel a bone-marrow drive on campus.

When it was announced that Nelly's foundation was sponsoring the drive and that Nelly himself would be showing up on campus Friday, several students raised objections, according to Vice President of Student Affairs Dr. Zenobia Hikes.

"Spelman is concerned about the negative images of women in popular culture," Hikes explained, "particularly the misogynistic lyrics and images that constantly portray women in a sexual nature."

Specifically, many students objected to the unrated video for Nelly's song "Tip Drill," which is being distributed on the Internet and broadcast only on local rap video shows. Among the many sexually suggestive scenes in the video is one showing the rapper swiping his credit card down a woman's backside.

Hikes said students demanded an answer to their questions about why videos like these were being made and how they were getting aired. Students from Spelman and neighboring men's college Morehouse were organizing a demonstration on campus Friday. When word got to Nelly's foundation, Hikes said, it canceled the bone-marrow drive.

The need for bone marrow is great within the minority community. Nelly has been trying to raise awareness of the need for marrow and blood-stem-cell donors among minorities since last summer, when his sister, Jackie Donahue, was diagnosed with Leukemia. (see "Nelly Encourages Minorities To Become Bone-Marrow Donors").

Spokespeople for Nelly and his foundation could not be reached for comment.

—Joseph Patel

www.mtv.com

sorry if this has already been posted....but what do y'all think of this? i saw the "Tip Drill" video on BET's "uncut" late on night and i think Nelly is putting women in a bad light [like most rappers] and those girls didn't even understand the lyrics....if they did, they ethier have low self-esteem or really like the fact that guy's want them for their asses [Nelly sings "....it must be yo ASS- 'cause it ain't yo face.... i need a 'Tip Drill'"] and not what's on the inside.....
    oldskoolavatar

lol. i can see how that 'tip drill' video can upset these bitches. there were lesbians and everything in dat vid.
    "cuz if you go platinum, it's got nothing to do with luck
    it just means that a million people are stupid as fuck"
    -Immortal Technique

Comment

i know...but Nelly *was* going there for a good cause [if his sister didnt have a disaese he prolly wouldnt care tho] .....
      oldskoolavatar

Comment

makes sense. Thet're feminists.
        i dunno why they get upset though. My opinion is that they're just showing a woman body's beauty.
        The only video i was offended with was Nas's Oochie Wally (becuase of the lyrics).
        e.g: grab her hair , slap her ass she screamin like she dyin.
        "The glock stay on me and the knife's for backup, I'm comin to the Vibe Awards, I dare you to act up!"- Young Buck

Comment

Black dyke feminists. Sad.
          Originally posted by Mycall
          You're in "college".

And have no lack of maturity.
          Originally posted by RSolo101
          btw u just jelous u cant grow facial hair? lol i could grow a full beard if i really wanted to jsut to let u kno aight

Comment

oldskoolavatar

Comment

damn i luv that video, but i can see how chics get offended
              www.djacv.com
              Stayin' for that Trill shit.
              Somthin' you can feel shit.
              Anythang else man, I don't even wanna deal wit.

Comment

u see y bitches aint shit..they put there personall feminist shit in the way of a v good cause. fuckin dykes.n they wuda y we call em bitch?!

you use our music to escape while we dont have that luxuary/
                u say u can relate but your just being entertained trust me(nappy mc)

Comment

hey 255, i was quite fond of that Tip Drill Video ^.^
                  _____=+| 30-4, 25KO |+=_____

*23 Straight KO Wins* Still Waiten for someone to match that

* ReTiReD *

Comment

the money that could have been raised > stupid bitches whining

Comment

see, this is the same reason i like kobe bryant now.... i figure if there's anything i hate more than the lakers, it's dumb ass broads who see a dollar and just wanna milk every penny outta someone because they're either rich and famous, or they've hurt someone's feelings.
                      Boston, Massachusetts

Comment

I hate Nelly, with all might, but it's for a good cause.

Some one hook me up with that video.
                        "To save the world requires faith and courage: faith in reason, and courage to proclaim what reason shows to be true." - Bertrand Russell

Comment

I don't like his music but I support him against these dumb feminazis. Feminists should all take a hint from that movie they finger themselves to every night, "Thelma and Louise," and drive off a fuckin cliff. That video is tight, by the way. It's ghetto but it's dope and hella funny too.
                          "The world is changing and there are new opportunities for those who are ready to join forces with those who are stronger and more experienced" -Lucky Luciano (1897-1962)

Comment

but...but...but...but...its...PIMP JUICE!...dontcha whanna putcho feet on ma rugg??
                            †I AINT VLAD BITCHES!† also if u leave rep, leave ur name...

Comment

that beef is long gone [don't have a link sry] but Nelly is a sexist pig. his clothes line for girls is called "Apple Bottoms"....what you call a big butt..... IMO he's too stuck on the butt now......now he seems really anit-woman or whatever 1st it was "take off all ya clothes" then it was "apple bottoms" now it's "it must be yo' ass 'cause it ain't yo face".....we're just sex objects to him- it doesn't bother me that much but it bothers Hip-Hop cuz people think that's all rappers talk about {*coughCHINGYcough*} .... and i'm just stating what i see [like that VH1 show of him going across America looking for the prettiest girl with a 'J.Lo butt'] ..... maybe Nelly needs to take a step back from the fame and groupies 'cause he ain't shit when it comes to rapping; he gotta realize there's more things to rap about than sex and money [which he does alot of]. that's all i got to say ryt now.........
                              oldskoolavatar

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Deborahlanker, 01-04-2021, 12:08 PM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Bynarden  
                              Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 08:40 AM