OmG read this..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OmG read this..

Look at Y2hiphop.com, they totally TRASHED BIZARRE SO BAD, ouch omg !!

Just last year, Eminem released the multi-platinum "Marshall Mathers LP", which even surpassed "The Slim Shady LP" in sales, and catapulted him into the ranks of one of the most popular rappers ever. But due to high sales and even higher teeny bopper and TRL appeal, a lot of hip-hop critics tryed to pan the album by calling it "gimmicky shock value", and saying the replay value isn't there at all. It was there loss though, as the "MMLP" was one of 2000's best releases, and showed that Em has improved in both delivery and content. Now in 2001, Em's crew D12 is finally ready to release their debut LP, entitled "Devil's Night". D12 consists of 6 MC's (they all have 2 personalities, so that's how they get 12), who are Proof, Bizarre, Swift, Kuniva, Kon Artis, and Eminem himself. So the question remaining is, "will this be another Eminem album featuring 5 nobodies", or "an album that showcases 5 talented MC's along with Eminem"? The answer is neither, as D12 is basically made up of Em rhyming alongside 5 clones. However, this is surprisingly an entertaining and solid effort, with all of the members (except for one) showing some skill on the mic. Read on to find out everything...

Before i get into the album, remember how i mentioned that everyone in D12 has some skills, minus one person? Well, that's Bizarre, who has an awful flow and pathetic lyrics that try to shock you, but end up making you laugh because they are incredibly stupid. Even though a few of his shock lyrics are mildly amusing, most of them are retarded. "My girlfriend had a miscarriage, i had to eat it" -- that line is very shocking, because it makes you wonder how any human being can write something that even excels Noreaga in terms of extreme wackness. Even though all of Bizarre's verses are short, most of them stain the album. So with that out of the way, we can get into the review.

After the obnoxious and unnecessary "Another Public Service Announcement" intro, the very first song of the LP kicks in, which is "Shit Can Happen". Denaun Porter laces a Dre-ish beat for Kon Artis, Kuniva, and Swift to rhyme over, and they all leave good impressions. Unfortunately, Eminem also drops by to spit the last verse, and easily outshines everyone. "Pistol Pistol" follows, and just has Eminem resorting to doing the hook, allowing the remaining 5 members to shine. They all do too, with Bizarre even dropping a good verse: "This 9 will make Holyfield start fighting, it'll make Mase say fuck church, and go back to writing/ It'll make Shyne say he sound like Biggie Smalls, it'll make R. Kelly give respect to Aaron Hall". Dr. Dre contributes his first beat to "Nasty Mind", and it's one of the album's best. Looking at the title, you already know what to expect about the content, but everyone (excluding Bizarre) comes at least decent.

"Ain't Nuttin' But Music" is basically a continuation of "The Real Slim Shady", just that everyone in D12 joins Eminem this time around. Dre tweaks the beat a little bit, but it still sounds very similar. And just like "The Real Slim Shady", numerous people get dissed, which include everyone from the Baha Men, Rev. Jackson, Whitney Houston, Everlast, and many more. "American Psycho" comes up next, and is the complete opposite of the previous track. Creepy melodic piano keys, dark bass, and a slashing guitar riff set the perfect backdrop for an extremely tight opening verse from Eminem: "I'm a human mutt, fuck a being/ I'm a dog, fuck lambs i'm silencing them all, i'm involved in murders forensic science couldn't solve/ Giant set of balls too big to buy a set of draws, might as well unzip my fly and let 'em fall/ Each thought is completely warped, i'm like a walking, talking Ouija Board". Unfortunately, Bizarre almost ruins the song with his god-awful verse, and drops wack lines like: "My dick isn't burning 'cause of disease, it's because of me jerking off with gasoline". At least Kon Artis closes the track with a decent verse.

"That's How" is easily the nicest track on the album that doesn't feature Eminem. The concept is actually pretty creative (well, for D12), with each member explaining how people and certain things get fucked up. The lyrics, beat, and hook are also extra tight, making this one of the album's best tracks. "Purple Pills" is dedicated to mushrooms and popping pills, and features another very dope Eminem verse. The production is even tighter, which includes a nice sax loop and a nice harmonica sample at the end. This track brings back the older version of Eminem, and is a nice change of pace from his angrier Marshall Mathers style. Once again though, Em easily outshines the rest of his crew, and Bizarre almost ruins the song at the end with a wack verse.

"Fight Music" features intense Rock-ish production, which is surprisingly produced by Dr. Dre. Eminem reverts back to his Marshall Mathers style again, and his delivery on this track resembles the one on "The Way I Am". It's more of the same though, as Em's verse outshines everyone else, and Bizarre drops another wack verse. The album starts to get pretty monotonous and boring, once the next 3 songs come on. "Instigator" is easily the weakest track on the album, "Pimp Like Me" is a boring pimp track, and "Blow My Buzz" is basically a generic version of "Purple Pills". Fortunately, the album starts to pick up once the title track "Devil's Night" comes on. "Revelation" features another Rock-ish Dre beat, but it's on the dreary "Marshall Mathers" tip this time around. All 6 members drop autobiographical rhymes on this one, and they all come tight (well, not Bizarre, but at least his verse is tolerable).

"Girls" is the infamous hidden bonus track, which is the venomous Eminem solo. On this track, Em goes all out dissing Limp Bizkit, and rips both Fred Durst and DJ Lethal. Eminem also takes shots at Dilated Peoples (I thought they squashed their beef?) and Everlast. One thing i noticed about this song though, is that Em sounds just like Tupac. His delivery, cadence, and voice are very Pac-like, and even the production is Pac-like (the beat sounds like one of the slower, darker tracks on Makaveli). The 2Pac similarities are also very noticeable at the very end of the track, where Eminem is talking.

In conclusion, this was definitly a much better album then i expected it to be. Although the D12 album isn't really about anything else besides shock value, it's surprisingly very good and entertaining for the most part. The 7 Eminem verses really helped this LP out though, as most of Bizarre's verses were horrible for the most part. As for the rest of the members -- Proof did okay, although i expected much better from him after hearing his freestyles. Swift, Kon Artis, and Kuniva were actually impressive almost throughout the entire album, and proved that they can hold their own pretty well. Eminem is still by far the most skilled member in the group though, as he always outshined the rest of D12 whenever he dropped a verse. So basically, you can live without "Devil's Night" in your collection. But if you're an Eminem fan or like hip-hop that's more twisted than usual, it wouldn't hurt picking up this release.

thanks for puttin it up

Comment

who cares...that's what criticism is about; opinion...

Comment

you've just ruined my day
        "Ima lyrical piranha, strapped wit a grenade in a pool wit yo mamma, attack her by the legs and I pull her to the bottom..."

Comment

hey spaced out thats a tight icon. where u get it from?

Comment

yo

yo i got no respect for tha reviewers on tha board but tha newz and relese dates are good. so fuck tha reviews ill give you a really good review in a minute
            http://media.ign.com/games/image/fable_040804_160.jpg

Comment

RapReview Of The Week
              D-12 :: Devils Night
              Label: Shady Records/Interscope
              Author: Steve 'Flash' Juon

For sample audio clips of this album please go here. (CDNow.com)

Eminem almost singlehandedly invented a rap style that could be called "white trash hop" - a shameless escapade through trailer park trash talk combined with rampant drug abuse and misogynistic nihilism. If you think you already had the real Slim Shady figured out though, here comes five of his homies who are darker than the Doctor (Dre that is) that pop more pills than HE does.

The conservative-minded among hip-hop's intelligentsia will of course have their own interpretations of this latest endeavour. A few will say Eminem is trying to shore up his urban music credentials because his crossover success bleached him whiter than Vanilla Ice. Some will argue that Mr. Mathers feels compelled to put undiscovered Detroit rappers on because he feels guilty about blowing up. And a couple might even posit the argument these are in fact Eminem's true homeboys, the people he grew up with, so it's only natural for him to share the wealth. Whatever the haterade drinkers might say the latter is the closest to the truth - Em has cut underground tracks with Proof, Bizarre, and Swifty McVay for years; dating back to the days when he was an unknown quantity and store clerks mocked you for requesting his singles and albums (usually they said the candy store was down the street).

The real question then is not so much why as what - what do they sound like, and what do they have to offer? This release provides some of the answers. To the credit of the group, each member has a distinctive and memorable voice and style that makes them stand out from one another. Bizarre has a deep, slow-flowing vocal style that makes his shock theater raps stand out. Kon Artis is probably the smoothest flowing - a bit like an old school LL Cool J mixed with a modern day Del the Funky Homosapien. Proof may have the most crossover potential; as he has a distinctively dirty voice in the tradition of Method Man and Sticky Fingaz that always grabs your ear. Swifty McVay has rocked on Eminem's shit since "No One's Iller," which makes it no surprise his mayhem and malice are similar to Slim's own. Last but not least, there's the high pitched Kuniva - who could be called a raunchy Detroit version of DJ Quik.

Together with Eminem, this crew of ne'er-do-wells creates enough vocal diversity to spark off a truly enjoyable album. On some group albums one member stands out while the rest sort of fill in the gaps; think Busta Rhymes in L.O.N.S. or Redman in Def Squad - but on this album each individual shines. Swift gets his thang on in the dark ambience of the Eminem produced "Instigator"; to which the sounds of helicopters flying overhead was a superb touch - but be sure to Jeff Bass credit for the instruments. The same formula works on "American Psycho" where despite a good opening from Em lyrically he gets truly upstaged by Bizarre's disturbing verse. Proof's charisma kills the track on the lead single "Purple Pills" and makes you wish his verse had been longer, but Kon Artist and Kuniva make an excellent tag-team combo - a feat they also repeat successfully on "Blow My Buzz."

For the most part this album picks up where "Amityville" and "Under the Influence" left off on Eminem's "Marshall Mathers LP" and carries the vibe forward. The sound is more dark and moody though than the lighthearted lead single; which accurately reflects the album's title. For those who aren't from Michigan, Devils Night is the day in October when people in Detroit go wild and start riots, get drunk, smash pumpkins, et cetera. This release is the soundtrack to their story, laced with their macabre humor and fresh vocal intonations. Unfortunately Eminem's well-known name and fame may overshadow the worthy accomplishments of his crew; especially when he takes the time to lambast his enemies on songs like the bonus track "Girls":

"So from doin a song with Method to beggin to get accepted
              I'm peggin Fred with the bottle of dye that he bleached his head with
              And as for Lethal, don't forget what I said
              I'm fuckin you up punk, you're dead! Don't think that I'm playin
              And fuck BIZKIT! Cause I know you're sayin fuck D-12
              Only not to our face, under your breath, to yourselves"

Although there are a few songs that lag behind the rest of the album for uninspired beats (among them "Shit Can Happen" and the cheesy "Ain't Nuttin' But Music") this debut album is an overall success that should hopefully establish D-12 as a legitimate force to be reckoned with in hip-hop. This is no charity act of kindness from Marshall Mathers - it's a real crew with real skills who deserved their time to shine and thanks to him finally got their break at last.

Music Vibes: 7 of 10 Lyric Vibes: 8 of 10 TOTAL Vibes: 7.5 of 10
              http://media.ign.com/games/image/fable_040804_160.jpg

Comment

hey spaced out thats a tight icon. where u get it from?
                a mario website.
                "Ima lyrical piranha, strapped wit a grenade in a pool wit yo mamma, attack her by the legs and I pull her to the bottom..."

Comment

coo

Comment

denaun sounds nothing like del...whoever said that is a fool...

Comment

Yeah but almost all critics are hard on bizarre and give him bad reviews,
                      Dirty Head Dave - Dizerty Dave - Dave Dirty
                      Rap Basement
                      The One and Only

Comment

The first review is so WHACK!!!!! Pimp Like Me is the best song of the album, Bizarre is like the "funny guy" of the group, the guy who wrote that isn't dirty enough! And Bizarre's verse is the best one in Puple Pills, IMO!!!
                        "Shady stay creative baby hold your head up, don't you let up
                        one bit on these motherfuckin suckers you're a soldier +GET UP+
                        STAND UP FOR WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN, LONG AS YOU BREATHIN
                        THEY JEALOUS OF YOU MAN THAT'S THE ONLY REASON THEY BEEFIN!"
                        - Part of Eminem's best verse, wich is part of D12's best song: Words Are Weapons

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by Drishk, Today, 06:49 AM
                        1 response
                        0 likes
                        Last Post Lipa
                        by Lipa

Started by Rapsodia, Today, 04:22 AM