Latest D12 Interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest D12 Interview

This past Tuesday, I was hanging out with Swifty from the 313 and he did a phoner(Phone Interview). Here is part of the interview below...

LiveDaily Interview: D12 rapper Swift
    by: Christina Fuoco

On paper, Grammy Award-winning rapper Eminem is the head of Shady Records, the label to which his side project, D12, is signed. But when D12 is in the studio, titles are cast aside.

"Eminem, he's the CEO of our label, but when we're in the studio, creating songs, he's not the CEO. He's a group member," said D12 member Swift via his cell phone, as he drove through Detroit.

Swift was in an especially good mood. Earlier in the day, his group's success became tangible when his management presented D12--Eminem, Swift, Kuniva, Bizarre, Kon Artis and Proof--with double-platinum plaques celebrating the fact that its debut "Devil's Night" (Shady Records/Interscope) sold more than 200,000 in Canada. Swift also found out that "Devil's Night," which debuted at No.1 on the Billboard 200 album chart in its first week of release, will return to the top spot next week.

"When I got that plaque, it really, really made me look at things a little different. Not like [I'm] having a big head, or arrogant, or nothing like that. It just took me a long time for it to hit me when everybody said, or when I see on TV: 'No. 1, No. 1.' It was like, 'Come on. Get out of here. You gotta be crazy.'"

D12's Swift spoke to LiveDaily correspondent Christina Fuoco about the success of the album, the controversy surrounding the drug-reference-riddled single "Purple Hills" and touring.

LiveDaily: What do you see differently now that you've received your double-platinum plaque?

Swift: I see a bigger motivation. I see me a little bit more pumped, as far as helping the people I know that's not on [labels] that's been around me for years. I got a whole different light as far as the music, because I love this music with the heart. After working on this album, being out there learning things, it makes me look at this as more of a job. It's not like you go out and just relax and do what you want to do. You gotta pay more dues. A lot of people think they pay dues. But once you sign, you're paying more dues than ever. It made me look at the work ethic a little bit more different. It's a good thing for people who like to work and like to stay motivated. This is the game to be into if you don't like to sit down in one place, if you're not a lazy person.

It's [also] coming a little bit more smoother, so that when I work with other people, I have the ethic down pat as far as all the work I've been seeing over the months, trying to complete this album. They're looking at me like I'm a hardcore manager who's an a------. It's not being an a------. There's more to it than just making a song. You have to really get into the song--I don't care if it takes three or four days. That made me want to work more.

Are you working with another act?

Right now, I am working on a record for myself. I got a group called the Raw Collection that the world probably will hear in the future. I'm working on the album right now. So I'm trying to get the press kit going. ... So, all those friends that I have working on this album, being out on the road, I'm giving them a taste of what really means to be out here. I'm just trying to get them prepared, because it's not an easy route. I'm not trying to stand in one spot, or put all my eggs in one basket. I'm trying to go ahead and network and see what I can do out here. I'm going to maybe get a label, get into acting, even doing producing. This whole thing drove me to take every little step it takes to get in the entertainment business.

The first single from the album is "Purple Hills," which, on the album, appears as "Purple Pills." How do you feel about having to change the content of the song for radio?

Well, nobody make us do it. "Purple Hills" was something that we all came together [on]. So, ain't nobody gonna really look at it like we're out here trying to promote something bad. "Purple Pills" is on the more rougher side of "Purple Hills." "Purple Pills" is more of a reality rap of what is really out here--not to make people go ahead and do it. We got people who is really doing these drugs. We did [the song] to remind these people that this is out there.

The controversy, it's kind of crazy, because it ain't nothing but music. It's not anything that'll make anybody go out and do something wrong. It's just music. We're trying to bring the fun back out of rap. They're taking it too serious.

Pretty soon D12 will head out as part of the Warped Tour and then travel to Europe. Are you looking forward to touring?

I'm real excited. I'm always excited about going out on tour. I'm the type of person that likes seeing new things. I like traveling to different cities, anyway. I think [the Warped Tour is] gonna be a good thing. I went out on a few dates with Eminem when he went out on the Warped Tour a couple years ago. I seen the vibe. So now I'm prepared to see how it's really going to be when we go out there.

Another Detroit rapper, Esham, is also on the Warped Tour this year. In one of his songs, he raps about putting "Hailie in a coma." [Eminem's daughter is named Hailie.] How do you think that will affect the camaraderie at the events?

Esham is doing that to get money. This is my opinion. Esham been out, as far as I know, since 1991. He dropped over 10 albums already and they did nothing for nobody in Detroit, except [for Esham's side project] NATAS. I can't knock him for bringing his boys out. But he does nothing for nobody. Now, Eminem took the world by storm, and I'm not just saying that to be arrogant. Esham's in the same city. He's dissing [Eminem's] daughter, he's dissing his ex-wife. He's dissing Eminem for no reason except to make us talk about him again. ... It's a publicity stunt. ... Eminem doesn't even know him. He doesn't have any kind of excursion with him. They never hung out. They never exchanged money. He never borrowed any money. It seems to me that he's doing this so we can talk about him back, just so the crowd can see what Esham is gonna say about us.

How does the songwriting process work with D12?

We think about a concept. We come up with the beat first, and if somebody's not feeling the beat, that person's not gonna rap on the song. So nobody get all upset and mad when they not on the song. We trust each other's judgment and opinion, and we know that if we not on the song, we got these guys to throw all the weight to us.

We don't let anybody hear our raps until we get to the vocals. It's surprising. If we're stuck on a rap or stuck on a word, I might ask, "What rhyme with orange?" and Eminem might say, "Door hinge" or whatever. But we all work together and we all come together on the track as one.

Speaking of Eminem, he's going to do a handful of dates on your tour, but not all of them, is that correct?

If Eminem can make it, it cool. If he can't make it, we understand. He had a head start at first. There's a lot of things that Eminem had to take care of and do without us. We all understand, so we try to make it happen, and try to bring that vibe. With him there, we more outstanding than ever. But we gonna try our best to put it down without him. We all understand that he have things to do. So he support us to the fullest. When we have things to do, he support us. He puts that motivation in our hearts and mind to go ahead and do it like we're supposed to do it, even when he's not around.

Do you think it's important to let fans know that he may not be at the show that they attend?

Well, I mean, it all depends on the fan. You can't justify what makes a person mad or angry. A person might stand in the crowd and say, "Eminem's not coming? [Forget] it." Or they might say, "D12 is just as good." I respect a person's opinion. All we can do is do our thing, and hopefully, they can enjoy both sides--with Eminem and without Eminem. He in the same clique. People in the hip-hop gang understand how it really is. Like, if Eminem not there, they know we represent for him. And he represent for us. I hope the crowd know that we represent for each other
    Dirty JIM

Jim do you know when Swiftys solo album might be released?
    Is it going to be before or after the Obie Trice album?
    jd

Comment

thanx 4 the interview

Comment

yeah thanx for the interview JIM. and i dunno if swifty is as down with the board as PROOF or not. but im goin D12 concert in august and i dont think eminem is gonna be there, but it dont bother me at all cuz i know the other 5 r gonna keep it ill as fuck!!!!!!!

peace
        www.myspace.com/l_wiz_uk

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 03:39 AM
        0 responses
        1 view
        0 likes