Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proof That He Was Alive!

Proof That He Was Alive!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Proof That He Was Alive!
    By his friend, Wendy Day

The headline on AOL’s main screen read “Eminem’s Close Friend Killed.” As I clicked on it I said to myself please don’t let it be Proof.

Proof was so much more than a close friend of Eminem’s that was killed.

Proof was one of the first artists in this industry that I befriended. I met him through some friends who worked at Tommy Boy. It was around 1994. They wanted to sign him because of his charisma, but they were afraid to take a chance on a rapper from Detroit, in my opinion. I liked Proof very much as a person. I can’t say that about many rappers.

Proof was energetic, outgoing, and spoke his mind. He reminded me of a little Muppet character. Always happy, always entertaining, always moving—especially when everyone else around him was tired. He was always so alive and energetic.

With the success of Eminem, I lost touch with Proof. Tommy Boy never did sign him, but he had a better gig as Em’s right hand man. He was down for Em—stayed true, even when there were rumblings in D-12 about this or about that. Proof was always by Marshall’s side, through the good and through the bad. I imagine Marshall’s feeling it the most because it’s impossible to replace loyalty and years in. Especially when you are a household name. He was Marshall’s best friend.

Proof and I spoke by Blackberry, a few lines here and a few lines there. We spoke often when he put out his CD independently. It didn’t do as well as he had hoped, or maybe it didn’t do as well as I had hoped for him.

I saw Proof in July in Atlanta. I was backstage at the Anger Management Tour meeting with his cousin Trick-Trick. Everyone was sitting on the tour bus, tired as hell. Proof was the energetic Muppet running around entertaining all of us, clowning for the Shade 45 interviewers. He was having a good time, but I think that everywhere he went he had a good time. I wondered if he would have any energy left for the stage. He did.

When Proof first saw me he gave me @#%$ for not returning a call to him months earlier. He had an old phone number for me so I never got his message, but that didn’t stop him. After he was done scolding me, he hugged me for what seemed like hours. We had a good time, but everywhere he went he had a good time.

Except maybe last night. He was gunned down in an afterhours club on Eight Mile in Detroit. Yes, that 8 Mile—the one his best friend made world famous in a film by the same name. More senseless violence. More Detroit @#%$. Apparently they caught the dude who shot him. That’s a first.

I remember a story Trick-Trick told me in September while we were in NY shopping his deal. He dropped Proof off at home early one morning after they had been recording at the studio all night. Proof got out of the car and without Trick knowing, he ran across the yard, jumped a fence, through another neighbor’s yard and ran along side of Trick’s car and banged on the window shocking the hell out of him. When Trick pulled over and asked him “What the hell are you doing man?!,” Proof just laughed and ran off through some bushes and across another yard. All Trick could do was pull off laughing thinking about how crazy Proof was.

We lose too many rappers to violence. We lose too many young Black males to violence. And now we’ve lost a Muppet to senseless violence.

I know that wherever he is, he’s in a better place. I want to say “rest in peace, dear friend,” but I know that’s not possible. I know he’s running around with incredible energy, entertaining everyone. That’s just Proof.
    http://p076.ezboard.com/fpoliticalpa...icID=435.topic

That story really made my heart ache So many people have stories like this, some famous, some just normal people, it just goes to show that we lost a really wonderful person a couple of nights ago, a peoples person, someone who lived like a king, but never ever forgot where he came from and the people that helped keep him where he was. I can't even imagine how his family and friends are feeling, I didn't know him, but in the last 2 days I just haven't been able to stop crying. This is just bullshit, and now they are talkin about the guy that shot him probably won't be charged... They say it was self-defence, that really pisses me off though, they condemn P for shooting 1st, but the man that shot P is in no trouble because it's ok to shoot and kill someone, as long as they shot 1st? FUCK THAT!
    Ah, I don't know what else to say... Nothing is gonna bring him back
    Beastblood, I am also very sorry for your loss, I will keep you in my prayers as well. Take care
    Goodnight Soldier ~ R.I.P Big Proof ~

Comment

Originally posted by Tahlia
      I didn't know him, but in the last 2 days I just haven't been able to stop crying. This is just bullshit, and now they are talkin about the guy that shot him probably won't be charged... They say it was self-defence, that really pisses me off though, they condemn P for shooting 1st, but the man that shot P is in no trouble because it's ok to shoot and kill someone, as long as they shot 1st? FUCK THAT!
      Beastblood, I am also very sorry for your loss, I will keep you in my prayers as well. Take care
      I can't stop crying either. Every day since it happened: while I'm at work, driving, lighting up, especially writing, I can't help but do it. His influence, as powerful and moving as it is, has become history, and I don't want to accept it as that...I want it to continue. The fact that it will strictly continue in remembrance, and not with further works, is one of the things that hurts so much. He deserved countless more achievements under his belt, and a coward halted those future achievements in falsified "self-defense".

If that scrap of shit is let go of, I pray for vengeance to be wide-sought on his head. If he isn't, he'll get his in prison.
      R.I.P. DeShaun Holton
      We will NEVER forget you! BIG PROOF FOR LIFE!

http://www.myspace.com/nmity

Comment

thanks for posting
        Originally posted by Mutt Lo
        look it up in the dictionary its spelled search
        Originally posted by Manuel
        MC Serch, a white rapper, you little slut .. ^

Comment

thnx for posting.

This was beautiful:

I know that wherever he is, he’s in a better place. I want to say “rest in peace, dear friend,” but I know that’s not possible. I know he’s running around with incredible energy, entertaining everyone. That’s just Proof
          ...ALLES IS KUNST...

Today there will be no remorse at all,
          Come what may.....!

Comment

wendy needs to stop callin him a muppet, but apart from that it was a good read
            Originally posted by A n D y
            is paul wall really that good? i dont listen to his stuff because his face is kinda weird
            lmao

Comment

That was really nice to read. I never met Proof unfortunately, but I did have the privilege of talking to him on this forum back in 2002/3 and he was always so sweet, I was on the brink of giving up everything, and he gave me the incentive to plow on without even knowing it. I really hate how this violence erupts over something silly it breaks my heart. The last sentence was really touching. Proof was so appreciated, it's so unfair. I cried and cried when I found out, something which is hard for me to do, but ever since then there's this dull ache inside me

I'm also angry that that man was just charged with weaon's crime and could only get five years in prison. That's sickening, where is justice? Does five years even begin to be tantamount to what Proof's family, children, friends and fans are suffering right now? It is absolutely disgusting - I only hope somebody give shim something he deserves if he does get sent down

I can't get over how sad this makes me - its terrible and stuff like this should be stopped, before we lose another great emcee
              RIP DeShaun Holton 1 Love
              Originally posted by A nine year old boy calling the police
              I need you to talk to my dad. He says I can't have a drink until I've tidied up my room
              LMAO

Comment

Originally posted by Tahlia
                I didn't know him, but in the last 2 days I just haven't been able to stop crying. This is just bullshit, and now they are talkin about the guy that shot him probably won't be charged... They say it was self-defence, that really pisses me off though, they condemn P for shooting 1st, but the man that shot P is in no trouble because it's ok to shoot and kill someone, as long as they shot 1st? FUCK THAT!
                ive felt the same way....
                Bring on the NFL season. Let's go Bucs!!!
                Xbox Live & PSN: biggiejerseys
                Be sure to send me a message telling me who you are.

Comment

^ I dont eve see how its self defense it Proof didnt even point a gun at the dude who shot him sounds more like revenge than self defense
                  "AND NO MATTER WHAT THEY DO, THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER YOU."
                  R.I.P BIG PROOF YOUR MUSIC LIVES ON THROUGH US

REP ME=REP U POST IN THREAD

Comment

wow...

I still cant believe this.

Thanks for sharing
                    rb forever

Comment

Trick Trick is Proof's cousin?
                      Originally posted by Stat Quo
                      yo that shit sounds like it can work...i fucks wit it...keep doin whatchu do...u gone be alright in this game
                      Originally posted by Hush
                      keep doing ya thang homie! Holla...
                      www.myspace.com/teknikalmusic

Comment

aw thats so sweet especially the last part.

we lost a great guy..

thanks for posting

rest in peace proof<3
                        Rest In Peace, Big Proof
                        1973-2006

Comment

fucked up

Comment

thats was a really nice read.
                            especially the last part.
                            I find it so hard to believe thats hes gone tho.
                            still hasnt really sunk in even tho Ive been on here talkin bout it for 4 days
                            R.I.P. Proof
                            1973-2006

Comment

^I feel the same exact way. It's such a heavy loss, and it still hasn't taken its full effect on us yet.

God bless you Proof!
                              R.I.P. DeShaun Holton
                              We will NEVER forget you! BIG PROOF FOR LIFE!

http://www.myspace.com/nmity

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by AleksShamles, Yesterday, 12:33 PM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Zavylon
                              by Zavylon