X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Relic
    replied
    Originally posted by GunitShadyFan View Post
    Ehh, I don't think he's a complete copycat of Em. White battler maybe, but I don't think he even has similar style to Em. He's great though, don't get me wrong but I wouldn't classify him as a copycat of Em. This, is an Eminem copycat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDpzTaf8AWQ
    4:22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsGJ_...response_watch
    lol @ 45 seconds
    Agreed. 'Copycat act' wasnt really the word I was looking for...but my point stands on Solomon and these "street battles."

Leave a comment:

• pandemic
    replied
    ^Don't forget Illmaculate. He bodied The Saurus in that battle they had together.

Leave a comment:

• JTCharismatic
    replied
    The Saurus and Kid Twist would win.

Leave a comment:

• ImMoRTaLBeiNG
    replied
    wow... much better than Eminem's verse.

Leave a comment:

• GunitShadyFan
    replied
    Ehh, I don't think he's a complete copycat of Em. White battler maybe, but I don't think he even has similar style to Em. He's great though, don't get me wrong but I wouldn't classify him as a copycat of Em. This, is an Eminem copycat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDpzTaf8AWQ
    4:22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsGJ_...response_watch
    lol @ 45 seconds

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by The Relic View Post
    Yeah, that sounds about right. For the record, with that statement I was referring to rap in general, not battle rapping. I'm sure Em didnt have much of an impact on the scene itself...just what I said about bringing it mainstream...to people like Iron Solomon.
    Ah yes, sorry if I misinterpreted. In terms of rap in general, no question. In terms of battle rapping, that would be a little harder to gauge, but of course it would have had some impact.

As for Iron, I don't know why he started battling, but I'm not much of a fan anyway. He recycles and writes too much for my taste. I like some of his lines though.

Leave a comment:

• SolderingCowbell
    replied
    Only battle-rapping we ever saw Eminem doing was in The Rap Olympics in 1997. That was it. It's not even really fair to compare the shit that Iron can pull off against Eminem's short span of work. Either way, the battle he had against that one dude where he mentioned Supreme Mathematics showed me that he's definitely more of a deep thinker than Eminem (Prewritten or not. Let's face it. Em' was never the sharpest knife in the drawer. A few Pop Culture References don't make you a Rocket Scientist. It wasn't really ever about what he said but how he said it that distinguished him from the rest.).

Leave a comment:

• The Relic
    replied
    Originally posted by SteWonYou View Post
    ^I wouldn't go too far in saying Eminem changed battle rapping. He might have interested more people in it by bringing it mainstream as you said, but other than that I don't think he changed its course much.
    A lot of stuff is prewritten, especially now where it actually all is prewritten in GT and KOTD, but it definitely hasn't always been that way and depends a lot on the venue.
    There are plenty of battles in WRC (not so much 07), Scribble Jam or whatever that were mostly freestyled and evidently so.
    But the people wanted the big punchlines all the time, every line, and that's why things moved more and more to writing. It was a gradual process, and now we've got GT and KOTD where everyone sounds like Illmaculate. I certainly hate the current state of battle rap.
    Yeah, that sounds about right. For the record, with that statement I was referring to rap in general, not battle rapping. I'm sure Em didnt have much of an impact on the scene itself...just what I said about bringing it mainstream...to people like Iron Solomon.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    ^I wouldn't go too far in saying Eminem changed battle rapping. He might have interested more people in it by bringing it mainstream as you said, but other than that I don't think he changed its course much.

A lot of stuff is prewritten, especially now where it actually all is prewritten in GT and KOTD, but it definitely hasn't always been that way and depends a lot on the venue.

There are plenty of battles in WRC (not so much 07), Scribble Jam or whatever that were mostly freestyled and evidently so.

But the people wanted the big punchlines all the time, every line, and that's why things moved more and more to writing. It was a gradual process, and now we've got GT and KOTD where everyone sounds like Illmaculate. I certainly hate the current state of battle rap.

Edit: Here's a link to the kind of battle rap I like. This is mostly freestyled and constant flips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG3Xm...eature=related
    Last edited by Stew; 01-20-2010, 04:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• The Relic
    replied
    Originally posted by Fitz View Post
    Pretty sure Eminem's battles from Scribble Jam against Juice and Rap Olympics were pre-written
    Face it, all battle rappers do the same shit... But, Iron Solomon is hands down the best at doin it...
    I'm not really doubting that they were written (that whole 'racial issue, facial tissue, place'll miss you' part is undeniable). I'm just saying that 8 Mile really pushed that subculture mainstream, and as someone up there said earlier (Axis I believe), battling has changed alot. I'm no expert on this stuff whatsoever, but what I see when I watched these "Street Battles" (lol) is people that not only pre-wrote that stuff (apparently sometimes weeks or months in advance), but they also rehearsed the shit out of it. Clearly. As I said, this stuff is 'made for tv', or these days more like 'made for you tube'...it's staged, its pre-written, its like reality TV show - it's not reality at all.

I'm not saying Iron Solomon isnt any good...clearly he's very good at what he does, which is sit back and write a bunch of multi-syallable rhymes complete with good metaphors and unique disses, then stands in front of his mirror, sorta jogging on the spot, puking in the toilet, getting ready to go on stage...lol. He WISHES he was Eminem. Do I think this guy would dust Em in a battle?!

What I'm saying is...there is no Iron Solomon without Eminem. Eminem changed rap somewhat, raised the bar and so along comes this guy, Iron Solomon, riding that wave (as have others, I'm sure). Basically trying to be the next Eminem. He strikes me as a gimmick, a copycat act even. We'll see what happens if he drops an album, I guess.

I dont know if anyone posted this one, but I just saw it on youtube.It's a good one. Clearly pre-written and heavily rehearsed, both of them. After all, these "street battle" vids they're making are just a form of promotion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSuWF...eature=related
    Last edited by The Relic; 01-20-2010, 03:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ImMoRTaLBeiNG
    replied
    Originally posted by madski11z View Post
    how can this shit even count as battle rapping. I dont see whats so special about pre-written shit. Its basically rapping each others "songs" to each other, which happen to take shots.

And some people were sayin Solomons stuff was off the top sometimes. I'd really like to see an example of some shit off the top. Cuz none of these youtube videos I've seen of him are off the top. There's just no way somebody can come up with constant multi-syllable rhyming while throwing in punchlines as well. NOBODY is that good.

I'm not sayin the shits not fun to listen to, but in reality, I'd rather see actual "freestyling" then rap battles that are planned out beforehand.
    Exactly, as you JUST said, "NOBODY is that good."

Leave a comment:

• L.A.
    replied
    iron solomon would murk em...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icEvH-sEHgo

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    These battles are some 'made for TV' type bullshit. Prepared, prewritten, and yeah, I even agree that they've put their heads together before the camera went on. .
    It is a shame indeed.

Grind Time is to rap battling what WWE is to wrestling.

Leave a comment:

• Fitz
    replied
    These battles are some 'made for TV' type bullshit. Prepared, prewritten, and yeah, I even agree that they've put their heads together before the camera went on. The multis and punchlines that these guys are spitting are very good...sorry, but the brain doesnt process shit that quickly.
    So yeah, I'd love to see some Iron Solomon's prewritten go head to head against Em's...any day.
    And The Saurus seems to stick to alot of racial disses cuz it's so much easier to recycle them and they give the appearance of being off the top of the dome. Anyway, they're definitely not.
    Pretty sure Eminem's battles from Scribble Jam against Juice and Rap Olympics were pre-written

Face it, all battle rappers do the same shit... But, Iron Solomon is hands down the best at doin it...

Leave a comment:

• GunitShadyFan
    replied
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrI3Bojit_k

Leave a comment:

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by Deborahlanker, 09-18-2021, 02:05 PM
1 response