Screw Relapse, it's time to revive this shit:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screw Relapse, it's time to revive this shit:

I recently listened to this album entirely and I believe it is Eminem's best right up there with the Slim Shady & Marshall Mathers LP, before he went the corny route with TES etc. I'd even go as far saying that it's at least as good as the MMLP, which is quite an accomplishment considering Eminem was almost solely responsible for the production on Devil's Night.

The energy and wittyness on this album is incredible. Every verse he does on this album is ripped to pieces and is delivered totally believable and in a way that suits Eminem best. No lame accents are used to portray silly serial killers, instead he combines his psychotic rhymes with witty reflections on his stardom (eg. Revelation/Fight Music/Shit can Happen) which make this album interesting to this day.

Without the latter, Relapse is what you get; a dull album filled with random, forgettable lines because a single listen is enough to grasp the meaning of that album and afterwards the appreciation for it just disappears (some exceptions aside, such as Deja Vu). This is where Eminem was wrong where he said he 'went back to his SSLP/MMLP days' with this album, as the strength of these albums did not lie in the psychotic rhymes, it was more to do with the combination of other crucial elements such as sincerity and a critical attitude towards pop culture and society.

Devil's Night also contains a song which can be considered to follow Eminem's first single formula almost perfectly. Before they went with Fight Music as their second single (on hindsight a disastrous decision due to 9/11) initially Ain't Nuttin' but Music was considered for this. Out of the whole bunch of Eminem, D12 first singles, this track is right up there with The Real Slim Shady and Purple Pills. Regretfully things turned for the worse with Without Me, Just Lose It and We Made You, the one sounding even more poppy and unimaginative than the other.

Last point I'd like to address: Eminem's production here is almost flawless. Who was he collaborating with at this time? These beats are incredible compared to the carnaval TES/D12World/Encore shit he came with later on.
    '99-'01:
    Fuck lambs, Iím silencin íem all
    Iím involved in murders forensic science couldnít solve

'02-'10:
    I just stepped in a mud puddle, butthole

I love how half of the board would readily claim that:

Eminem's pre-2003 horror/serial killer/psychotic-themed lyrically flawless songs are phenomenal
    BUT
    Eminem's post-2003 horror/serial killer/psychotic-themed lyrically flawless songs are corny, stupid, boring, emotionless, unconvincing, monotonous and what not.

And Brubbels, just give up on Eminem already. Spare yourself the disappointment. You didn't like Relapse, you didn't like Refill, you didn't like the Em songs that came out in the meantime; you are NOT gonna like R2, I can assure you of that. There is no point in following the career of an artist who has been consistently disappointing your for years and years; I think you would be a lot happier leaving the Eminem section and discussing the music of some artist you actually like elsewhere.
    Favorite Hip-Hop Groups/Artists:
    Cypress Hill, D12, Redman, DMX, Sticky Fingaz, Mobb Deep, 50 Cent, Ice Cube, The Roots, Obie Trice, Lil' Kim

Comment

Brubbles, Em always said he "kinda" went back to his first two albums. There are a few differences. Drug addiction for one. That's a big one.

Anyway, I get it though. You don't like Relapse. Homie, you haven't loved an eminem album in 10 years. MOVE ON. Time to give up on him. Chances are you won't like a single album Em puts out these days.
      Originally posted by Rob B
      I haven't fucked in close to 4 years.
      Originally posted by iSquidgey
      Rob B just made the most awkward post of all time.
      Originally posted by Swizz
      Rob B being awkward again, let's just turn around and slowly walk out of this thread guys

Comment

I'm still hopeful he will deliver on Relapse II. He has finally reached out the other producers (shame it's 8 years late) and seems to be driven for this album.
        '99-'01:
        Fuck lambs, Iím silencin íem all
        Iím involved in murders forensic science couldnít solve

'02-'10:
        I just stepped in a mud puddle, butthole

Comment

Whatever dude. If you wanna waste your time, go right ahead.
          Originally posted by Rob B
          I haven't fucked in close to 4 years.
          Originally posted by iSquidgey
          Rob B just made the most awkward post of all time.
          Originally posted by Swizz
          Rob B being awkward again, let's just turn around and slowly walk out of this thread guys

Comment

he did great on that album. I wish he had all those beats to himself, he destroyed alot of them.
            the LMAO wall of fame.
            Originally posted by 514~balla
            wtf you talkin' about willis?
            Originally posted by Ty_07
            what you on about? Who the fucks willis?
            Originally posted by G-Unit_Gangv11
            Y'all niggas nearly made me spit out my vitamin water laughing at this shit.

Comment

Great album. I never quite understand why there is so litte Proof on this. He is on what... 8 tracks ? And on certain tracks, he raps 4 bars (Ain't Nuthin But Music).

Of course, Em is amazing on it. His SHIT CAN HAPPEN verse is pure fire and his simple chorus on PISTOL PISTOL fuels the whole thing.

Comment

his shit can happen verse was fuckin insane. Em also stood out on revelation, and fight music to me personally.
                the LMAO wall of fame.
                Originally posted by 514~balla
                wtf you talkin' about willis?
                Originally posted by Ty_07
                what you on about? Who the fucks willis?
                Originally posted by G-Unit_Gangv11
                Y'all niggas nearly made me spit out my vitamin water laughing at this shit.

Comment

Originally posted by sQuitter View Post
                  I love how half of the board would readily claim that:
                  Eminem's pre-2003 horror/serial killer/psychotic-themed lyrically flawless songs are phenomenal
                  BUT
                  Eminem's post-2003 horror/serial killer/psychotic-themed lyrically flawless songs are corny, stupid, boring, emotionless, unconvincing, monotonous and what not.
                  You know this is like saying Star Wars Episodes 4-6 are equal to 1-3 because they're all set in the same universe and feature the same characters?

As for the topic, I agree, but don't have time to go into it. Even the tracks without Eminem are dope, such as Blow My Buzz.

Comment

Madvillainy is gonna shit on Relapse 2

Comment

Devils Night was a great CD...No need to 'revive' it...It's on rotation on the iPod...

Comment

Originally posted by Brubbels View Post
                        Eminem's production here is almost flawless. Who was he collaborating with at this time? These beats are incredible compared to the carnaval TES/D12World/Encore shit he came with later on.
                        eminem had little to do with the production. it was a combination of dres team at the time(dre, storch, elizondo etc) dj head, jeff bass & denaun
                        Last edited by kodo; 01-27-2010, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteWonYou View Post
                          You know this is like saying Star Wars Episodes 4-6 are equal to 1-3 because they're all set in the same universe and feature the same characters?
                          As for the topic, I agree, but don't have time to go into it. Even the tracks without Eminem are dope, such as Blow My Buzz.
                          Em was the first verse on Blow My Buzz, haha

Comment

It's crazy I agree with everything Brubbels says/thinks except the TES hate which is my absolute favorite album from him. That was a 10 to me. Devil's Night/MMLP was like a 9.5. Relapse 5. 2 with out Deja Vu.

That said I know for a fact I will be calling Relapse 2 a classic and it's got potential for being my favorite album ever. I really like that angry, arrogant, "I'm the best fuck haters" type shit he's been on lately and it's lot like 8 Mile/Til I Collapse so I don't see why the complaints. Either way give me R2!

Comment

^....

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Deborahlanker, 04-12-2020, 11:32 AM
                              6 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Gornawil