It's a Great Time to be an Eminem Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a Great Time to be an Eminem Fan

[Stannish rant]I first started listening to Eminem in 2002, when I was 12 years old and The Eminem Show had just been released. I wasn't really a fan of rap music yet though I listened to a few songs here and there, but I heard Cleanin' Out My Closet on the radio and was instantly hooked, bought the edited version of the CD and loved it from start to finish, not fully understanding what I was listening to but still, nonetheless, enjoyed what I was hearing immensely. After hearing the 8 Mile Soundtrack and seeing the movie was when I became an extreme Eminem fan, listening to every song he released and following his career closely. Of course, this led to me listening to his previous albums and discovering that this was by far the most intriguing musician I'd ever listened to. I had been introduced to Eminem just as he was entering into his prime, and as I would see in a few years, this was the absolute WORST time to be discovering who was currently the best rapper alive.

I was as excited as anyone for Encore. I came home from school one day to find that it had leaked, and since I had never been disappointed in the least bit with an Eminem project, expected to hear an absolute classic. I started listening and couldn't help but feel that I was extremely disappointed. I wondered if it was just that my expectations were way too high, and that it was a good album that I would eventually come to love, but after seeing the opinions of others on this board, found that I wasn't hearing it incorrectly, Eminem had in fact delivered a shit album. Being the huge fan that I am, I still listened and managed to squeeze some enjoyment out of it, because it was still Eminem, and even the worst of his songs tend to grow on you due to the unique nature of his style and musical ability.

With this major letdown of an album began the anticipation of his Redemption. Eminem released an album every 1 or 2 years, and I was still looking forward to his next CD with hope that I would be able to enjoy an Eminem album when it was released and I was already a fan of him. Time passed, and that CD never came. Of course there was Curtain Call and The Re-Up, but as we all know, the Eminem we knew had disappeared, and all we got were experimental, forced styles coming from a then drugged out zombie who had no ear for good music and it was completely apparent in the music he released. This was by far the darkest time in his career, those 2005-2008 years where we were lucky to get a few new Eminem verses per year, only to find out they seemed to get progressively worse.

There were always talks of an Eminem album being in the works, but none of us had any clue as to what the fuck was going on. When we finally got word of Relapse, I of course became excited, as this was the Redemption album I had been looking forward to for 5 years. I was 18 by then, and had a much better ear for music than in my younger teenage years. It turned out that in my anticipation, this ended up being the same mistake I made for Encore. I expected the Eminem I know and love, but had that EXACT same feeling of disappointment and forced liking upon listening to it. It was even more frustrating because I could recognize that the skill was back, something that was lacking on Encore, but this guy was rapping in an Arabic accent with 75% of the songs being murderous fantasies. Ok, yeah, it WAS a new Eminem album, and I also found ways to enjoy it, but all but a little of my hope had been crushed that I would ever get the Eminem back who's music I fell in love with when I first started listening.

But as it turns out, Eminem hitting that all time low and putting out two duds in a row may have been the best thing possible for us to finally get that album that we've been waiting for all these years. Pretty much everyone here agrees that the man finally has his head on straight, has re-attained his ear for good music, and consequently proving it in all of his latest releases. What we are hearing now is FINALLY the artist we'd been holding onto hope for all these years waiting for. "Not Afraid" confirms this for me, as it shows that he realizes his misdoings in the past and is completely focused and aware what he has to do to prove that he hasn't totally lost his touch that made him the artist he is in the first place.

My story as an Eminem fan brings me to the point of this post. As a reward for sticking through the good and really, REALLY bad times of being an Eminem fan, we are finally going to get what I am SURE to be a nothing-short-of-classic album. Of course, the thought lingers in the back of my mind that I'm making the same mistake as the last two times, but all the evidence in his latest releases, ESPECIALLY "Not Afraid," completely points against it, and supresses my worries. This may in fact be the last time that we as Eminem fans are able to look forward to one of his CDs like this, and all the hype, excitement, and anticipation that surrounds one of his releases. I feel like I'm finally going to know what it was like to be an Eminem fan in 2002 with the release of TES and get hit with an absolute classic. I am going to enjoy the hell out of this ride in all the time leading up to Recovery, and I hope all of you do too, because this is finally IT, what we've been waiting for for 8 years. This time he will deliver, and we will NOT be disappointed.[/Stannish rant]
    Last edited by M-5; 04-30-2010, 09:33 PM.

repped, i'v always been an em fan even if he did give us fack
    Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/The_Real_ATone

Comment

repped good read
      SAIGON AND BISHOP LAMONT

ARMY OF THE PHARAOHS

JEDI MIND TRICKS

iLL BiLL NECRO ViNNiE PAZ

RECOVERED SEPT 14TH YANKEE STADIUM

NY YANKEES 2011

Comment

good stuff
        rb forever

Comment

All truth here, rep.
          Take This dick and chomp on it
          I'm so bad I can bitch slap a backhanded compliment

Comment

Nice read. Repped n1gger.
            MGK is the future

Comment

Extremely good post/read.
              And I agree and went through pretty much that same stuff as an eminem fan.
              Recovery will be classic.
              I know for a fact only a few people on this board will be dissapointed.
              But it IS gonna be THAT album we've all
              been waiting for.

Basically... Your completely right, and I can't wait till June 22nd.

Good shit bro.

Comment

damn thats alot. great post though. except i like relapse lol
                You don't know the sadness of a joker....

Comment

tl;dr

Comment

Us Stans deserve a classic.

Comment

" *****s want the old me, buy my old albums "
                      SAIGON AND BISHOP LAMONT

ARMY OF THE PHARAOHS

JEDI MIND TRICKS

iLL BiLL NECRO ViNNiE PAZ

RECOVERED SEPT 14TH YANKEE STADIUM

NY YANKEES 2011

Comment

Wow brah that is a truly amazing rant. I'm in the exact same boat as you. As a huge Eminem stan I feel obligated to share my story as well so here it goes:

I too started listening to Eminem around the Eminem Show era, but it was around the time "Without Me" was all over the radio. This was about the same time I started watching TRL and getting into a lot of different types of music than I was used to. I knew of Eminem before then and remembered sort of liking "The Real Slim Shady" but as I didn't listen to rap, I only heard it like 1 or 2 times. Flash foward to a month later, Eminem Show comes out and my best friend bought it. He told me that it was an amazing album and wouldn't stop talking about it. I remember downloading a couple Eminem songs from this site called mp3search.com and I finally got to hear the album when he came over. I was truly blown away every thing he told me about the album was true, Eminem was an awesome rapper. From there out I became a huge Eminem fan (after my friend burned me Marshall Mathers LP and Eminem Show) and finally downloaded all his songs when I discovered Kazaa a year later. Anyone remember those epic bootlegs, Off The Wall and Don't Call Me Marshall?

Then 8 mile comes out and It's like the best movie ever. All his songs from the 8 Mile Sountrack, are progressively better than Eminem Show in my opinion. And then we get a whole group of songs leaked from an album known as Straight from the Lab I remember downloading all of these songs and burning them to a CD. There was not one song I didn't like. I thought some of the songs were better than the content from Eminem Show and so forth. I was really excited for another full length Eminem album. I also discovered Obies album somewhere around this period and loved that.

Then 2004 came and Eminem put out "Just Lose It", "Mosh," and "Encore." While I thought "Just Lose It" was a bit lame I grew to really like it and I definitely liked "Mosh" and "Encore" A month or so later Encore came out. I remember checking for it all the time (on Stimulate-LTD) and it just so happened it leaked one morning right before school. I quick downloaded it, burned it, and headed off to the bus. While on the bus I started listening to some of the songs and couldn't help but be disappointed. When I got home I remember reading on Stimulate-LTD that the CD wasn't official and that it was put out to trick the fans or something. I really hoped this was true and couldn't help but wish this was true. Then I came to realize that it was totally stupid to think it wasn't the real CD. The Day it came out I went and bought it hoping I would begin to like it more. It did grow on me a lot and I still like the album for what it is but I'll admit that it's no where near the caliber of his other albums.

So in between albums we have a few songs here and there and all of them are great in my opinion. Then Curtain Call leaks. The infamous "Fack" song leaks and I can't believe how terribly bad it is. It's so bad that I finally signed up for this forum that I had been lurking for the past few months looking for Em tracks. Also, "Shake That" was really lacking as well and it never really caught on with me other than the dope Nate Dogg chorus. The only new song on that cd that was worth listening to was "When I'm Gone." I said to myself "Ok, he doesn't really care about making dope songs on this album cause its only a greatest hits. I'm sure his next album will be great, I mean "When I'm Gone" is dope."

Then The Re-up came out. I was shocked that none of the new artists possessed much lyrical skill compared to Obie or Stat. I didn't really like any of the songs at first save "Public Enemy No. 1" and "No Apologies" and some of the obie songs. But eventually I came to love all the Em songs. I still like them all to this day and feel that he atleast made them better than the songs on Encore.

In between albums we get a few songs like the ones on 50's album, T.I.'s. and Ca$his. While I liked all of them the only one with somewhat serious content was "Pistol Poppin."

FInally 2009 is here. The buildup for Relapse is starting. I'm really excited to be a member of this board during a major Eminem release. I make easily around 2000 more posts during this time just speculating/talking about the upcoming album. Then out of nowhere some song called "Crack a Bottle" leaks. There are mixed feelings all around. I really enjoyed it and was certain Eminem was back. Sure the chorus was a bit awkward for Eminem but I was certain it was for Nate Dogg. Then a couple days later we get the full track with 50 and Dre. I bumped it a ton and was really feeling it. Then a couple weeks pass and we get some freestyle called "I'm Having a Relapse." Ah let the infamous Accent begin. People start talking about it and are wondering what the fuck is up with his voice. I too express my dislike for it at first but soon grow to like it. I take it for what it is, a promotion for his book. Then talk amongst the first official starts. The song will be featured on MTV as a music video before the single ever leaks. I am overly excited and plan to stay up til 6am to hear/see the video. A couple hours before the video leaks, the song comes out and I wasn't really feeling it at first and can't stand the chorus at all. I must've played it 20 or so times just to see if I would get used to it. It was one of those songs that was so stupid it kinda grew on me for a period of time. (Now I can't stand it at all though.) The lyricism in the song was really dope especially the way he rhymed everything but the content and accent were just retarded. Anyhow, I stayed up til 6am and saw the video and was cracking my ass up. It was absolutely hilarious. This is when I began to appreciate the song even more. A couple days later "3am" leaks and I skip school to hear it. I was really pissed about the accent at first but had sorta gotten used to it. If anything his accent fit the crazy ass content of this song. Then all the other songs leaked and the only song I really liked a lot at this point (before the album) was "Beautiful." It was coincidentally the only song with his normal voice. Couple weeks later the album leaks track by track. The whole situation was crazy. I was so fucking hyped. I listened to the album probably about 10x that day. It certainly wasn't no Eminem Show but it was a bit better than Encore. I really got used to the accent and started to accept it for what it is. Relapse as a concept album (what I take it as) isn't that bad. All the songs lyrics are dope to me when I really listen to them its sick to hear all the crazy stuff he says. I still place it as one of my Top 5 albums of 2009, but still with all of that said it can't touch any of his previous material including some choice songs on Encore.

Flashfoward to August, when we hear the amazing single from More than a Game Soundtrack. Eminem "renegades" the entire crew and even hints to it in the opening lines. Then in December Relapse Refill comes out. I felt that if he would have replaced some of these songs with the songs I wasn't really feeling on Relapse it would be a much more enjoyable album. "Music Box" is hands down my favorite song from that EP. The beat and lyrics make for an epic song. Things are starting to really look up especially when Wayne's single "Drop the World" leaks and his verse is even better than "Forever"

So finally we get to where we're at now. "Airplanes II" comes out and I literally spaz out. I have not heard a verse this dope since The Eminem Show. My expectations raise up. The pure emotion in his voice on that single blew me away. Then while at school Excellence hits me up and tells me this freestyle on Drake's "Over" and Banks "Beamer, Benz & Bentley" leaked. I'm extremely aggravated that I forgot to bring my laptop so I eat dinner than hurry home. When I get home I hear the amazing freestyle "Despicable" was and can't help but be excited. Then yesterday we got "Not Afraid" and its the epitome of what Eminem should have been releasing single wise since The Eminem Show. The fact that he acknowledged that Relapse was "ehh" means that he really is listening to his fans and wants to bring us quality material again.

Every song he's been releasing this time is better than the next. In my honest opinion I think we're in for an AMAZING album. Just like M-5 I'm extremely excited to share this ride with everyone of you. We're finally about to hear what his 4th album should have been. Get ready cause this shit is real son this shit is real.
                        Last edited by neomerge; 04-30-2010, 10:51 PM.

Comment

^nobody's reading THAT.

Comment

Repped!

Comment

Real talk.
                              NOT the same Steve-O that was in a wheelchair!

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Lurker07, 02-22-2011, 04:44 PM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Allanmathew  
                              Started by Kiryanvasez, Today, 05:05 AM
                              0 responses