When did you buy your first Em album?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did you buy your first Em album?

Add in your story of how you became a fan as well.

Mine was SSLP. I was like 10. This is around the time the Real Slim Shady and The Way I Am came out. I had heard My Name Is before and I knew Eminem but I was into "cooler" rappers at the time: Jay-Z, DMX, Bad Boy Reciords (Puffy, D-Block, Mase, Biggie....) Still, for a 10 yr old I was a major hip hop fan...spent all my money on CDs.

So after hearing The Way I am I asked my mom for an Eminem CD. One day she came back home with SSLP (edited version). i fuckin loved it and it stayed in my walkman (those were the days) for like a year straight. I wasn't gonna admit it to my friends but Em was my new fave rapper.

I then got TES soon after it came out and loved it even more, spend nights just memorizing the lyrics in the booklet. Then I bought MMLP about a year later....fucking fantastic as good as TES. MMLP sent the most chills down my spine. I remember spending hours just playing SSLP, then TES, then MMLP into my walkman and mouth the words walking around my room pretending I was performing in an arena.

Then came Encore...I liked a some of the songs but some were cringeworthy. The good ones (bar bonus CD) got old quickly... Since like 2002 I was on the internet trying to get more info on Em. Stumbled into my first forum in 05 (purelyhiphop.com - RIP) and then this forum in 06.
    2008 or later
    4.44%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    0.74%
    3.70%
    5.93%
    20.00%
    7.41%
    28.89%
    28.89%
    Last edited by Dirty F; 05-03-2010, 06:39 AM.

I was 14 it was my b-day at the mall with my mom and step dad I grabbed MMLP and DRE 2001, she bought both. It was until 2 years later she took them away from me after she found out what was on them, but by that time the damage was done! I didn't know about eminem during the SSLP era. I didn't know SSLP existed until a year after MMLP came out. Then I found all of Eminem's unreleased songs on Kazza. Then found out about the D12 album (missed on that too), then Eminem show came out Then 8 Mile I swear it was like Eminem overload and I loved every single part of it.

*reflects*

"I will not fall, I will stand tall, feels like no one. can. beat. me."

www.EminemQuotables.com

Comment

i bought the mmlp just because of the real slim shady i didn't like rap the way i do now

i played and played it all day long till i forgot about it then d12 drop purpule hills and i bought it by then i was getting heavily(sp?) into rap so i just keep buying things that had eminem name atached to it (of course it didn't hurt that the only raper my mom liked was eminem i was like 13 or 14 at the time) then the eminem show droped i remember going to the store to buy it on day one, then 8 mile buzz was going hard i went to se the movie at teather (sp?) like 2 or 3 times, and then i started searching his old stuff

oh and i bought the eminem show like 4 times i kept getting that cd stolen :S
      "YALL WAS TRYING TO RAP YOU WAS MAKING ME PROUD NOW YOU FUCKED UP DOWN ON YOU LUCK RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!!!!"-NAS-50 DISS
      PROPS TO T & T FOR THE AVY

Comment

I had to buy the clean version of SSLP... and then when MMLP dropped, I went to a cd store to buy it and ended up getting the cassette cause they were all out of discs. Owned.
        I'm pre-disastrous, I fuck shit up before it happens
        Like blown engines of Airplanes with snorin' captains

Comment

Only album I ever bought was MMLP, when I was in grade....(I wanna say 7 dunno tho) I didint even buy it from the store, bought it from a friend for $15 in quarters haha. That was after I had borrowed the cd from another friend, after 1 listen through it I had to have it.

Comment

Well for me it was 2000 but i had seen My Name Is and Guilty Conscience on TV regularly. The Role Model vidoe got played on late night MTV because they used to have a period during the night were it was videos nonstop and a lot of it was older videos. I know some of you might be a bit young but believe it or not MTV did used to be a music channel that actually showed music videos lol. A channel which is no longer with us called UK Play played a lot of rnb and hip hop videos and that is how i knew about Eminem and loved My Name is and Guilty Conscience. So i only knew 3 Eminem songs but i heard the Real Slim Shady i loved it and bought the CD and later got a bootleg copy of The Marshall Mathers LP and when i heard that i went and bought the album legit when it came out and that really kickstarted me buying music again.

People might wonder why after watching the singles from The Slim Shady LP for so long why i never went and bought them and the reason is i always bought music when i could ever since i was 6 or 7.For years and years i bought music and it was only around 1996/1997 that we were able to own a CD player. So i couldn't afford to buy CD's regularly and nearly everything i owned was on cassette. I won't go into details here but i had other interests and the other interests used what money i had up but i would often go into music stores and see the Guilty Conscience CDs, cassettes and vinyls on the shelf along with a lot of other songs that i had seen on TV and liked but i just couldn't afford it. All i knew was what was on TV. I couldn't have told you who was in the charts or anything or who was popular. So yeah i knew about him for months before the Marshall Mathers LP but it wasn't until i actually went and bought The Real Slim Shady single that i started listening to him properly. It was only a week later that i went and picked up both parts of My Name Is and Guilty Conscience on CD single. This is back when singles were huge business and they kept printing them months after they left the charts lol.

Some good memories. It's a shame how things have turned out now. Digital age has really killed music.

Comment

SSLP very shortly after it dropped.

Comment

I didn't buy it...I was in 7th grade yeah my mom brought it down while I was ironing...Irony..

Comment

the first week mmlp was released

Comment

2004, The Eminem Show.

Comment

2000, The Marshall Mathers LP. I liked it so much that I bought The Slim Shady LP later that year.
                      I took a hiatus haters now Iím back to cause trouble
                      Got the fucking shape of mushroom clouds for thought bubbles

Shady

Comment

2001 my dad bought it and i took it from him lol. my dads this big harley ridin heasvy metal fan but for some reason he borrows my rap cd's it's so weird
                        Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/The_Real_ATone

Comment

In 2001 I had no idea who Eminem is. One day I watched 'Fight Music' and it was like the illest thing I've ever heard. I asked my dad to buy me the CD this song was on (Devils Night). And he did and I loved it. Been a Shady fan ever since.
                          I swear to God, won't spear a rod,
                          I'm a man of my word so your f-ckin head better nod,
                          I'm gonna f-ck around in this bitch up and roast everybody!

Comment

fight music was crazy, thing is, i had no idea who eminem was i just randomly took a cd from my dad and i was like holy fuck i'm keepin this. at the time i was writing music, this was before i even heard of eminem.
                            Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/The_Real_ATone

Comment

2003, bought all three at the same exact time.
                              "There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark."

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 09:13 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Deborahlanker  
                              Started by wdiopljhgwej, Today, 04:11 AM
                              0 responses