Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new MC Eiht interview from WWC

taken from www.worldwideconnected.com

How old were you when you started rapping?

What made you start?

Basically… Shit I was always a fan of hiphop and we had neighbourhood rappers, ya know. Toddy T, Mixmaster *****… N*ggaz used to make tapes and sell em in the hood. Talk about girls raped, police rage, the neighbourhood and stuff like that. Me being from the hood, a neighbourhood gangbanger, I wanted to make shit about MY neighbourhood and MY homies so I hooked up with my homeboy who lived in Wattz and he had some turntables, mixer and all that… So we just started making garage tapes, talking about the neighbourhood and stuff like that. From there I started writing about other stuff, besides just the homies and stuff. Then I started making more tapes, more tapes and just selling more tapes, more tapes and the tapes fell in the hands of a local producer… DJ Slip, and from there we just started making real music.

Cool. Is it ok if I say an album title of yours and you just kinda say what you think about the album and what people should know about it?

Yeah.

Ok. First one is A Compton Thang.

Gutter. You know, brand new to the game. Introduction. Letting people know about Compton and new rappers coming out of Compton besides Eazy E and NWA. We had a different flavour and different sound. That was a true underground record right there.

Ok. Was Chill there in the beginning when you first hooked up with DJ Slip?

Yeah. Me and Chill had met in junior highschool so we was already doing our thing together. He was beatboxin’ and I was rapping so… And us being in Compton and shit like that made us just decide that “We’re gonna be Comptons Most Wanted”. Then we hooked up with DJ Slip and from there, capitol got a hand of a demo tape we was doing and that’s how we put our the first record It’s A Compton Thang. The first single was One Time Gaffled Em Up .

Ok. Next album is Straight Checkn’em

New label, Epic Records. A little more promotion. A little more exposure. This time we was able to venture more into more sound. DJ Slip was able to get better equipment… We started going on the road. Meetin’ people. Went to New York for the first time… People is really open to Comptons Most Wanted. We had the famous Growing Up In The Hood song on there. Driveby Miss Daisy, Raised In Compton, Can I Kill It… That was a real famous album.

Yeah. And then the group dropped Music To Driveby…

Music To Driveby is like a Comptons Most Wanted classic. It was the favourite Comptons Most Wanted record of all time. Hook-songs like Hood Rat, songs like Another Victim, Death Wish… you know. This was when we brought Mike T to the table. DJ Mike T. He was at the forefront. We had songs like Fuck Timdogg… Music To Drive By was basically just a whole well rounded album. Nation wide album. Getting that exposure, you know, it sold like 400 000 copies… couple of videos… Music To Driveby was a straight gangsta record.

Ok. And then you dropped Represent with the group. I think that was in 2000…?

Represent was a coming-back record… hooking up with all the homies. Hooking back up with DJ Slip. Hooking back up with Mike T… Chill had gotten released from jail so Chill was back in… and we also had Boom-Bam on the album. So Represent was basically just trying to get back together. Feel eachother out in the studio, cuz we hadn’t worked with eachother in about 5 or 6 years. So doing Represent was a… You know it was a pit project. It was an independent project. Not nationally. We just wanted to do it to let everybody know that Comptons Most Wanted was still together and we still worked together, and we could still work together as a team.

Ok, cool. And you released a few solo albums too… Like We Come Strapped.

We Come Strapped was my first solo record after Music To Driveby. It follows the success to the Menace 2 Society movie and the soundtrack where I had Straight up Menace. So We Come Strapped was more about MC Eiht. I started a production company with Slip, Half Ounce Records, and that gave me a chance to start producing. I executive produced the record. Basically it was just a chance for me to be involved more business wise and hands-on… Once again; Classic record. Songs like Take 2 With Me and Death Wich III… And songs like Nuthin’ But The Gangsta with Redman and Spice 1. We Come Strapped was a real classic record and it sold like 800 000 copies, so it really put us in the game nationally.

Yeah. Cool. And then you released Death Threatz.

Death Threatz was going back to basics. You know, hooking back up with my homies from Comptons Most Wanted even tho it was an MC Eiht record. Featuring CMW. We had Chill on there, Boom Bam, we had my young brother Da Foe, and we brought in a couple of other guys to produce; Black Jack from up North in the Bay Area who was producing for Spice 1 and my man Prodigy from South Central Cartel produced a couple of tracks. Death Threatz was just going back to the gangstarizm… Just trying to stick to the pattern of what MC Eiht and CMW was always familiar with and what the fans was always used to hearing. So Death Thretz was a real good record.

Yeah ok. And then there was Last Man Standing.

Last Man Standing was my last record on Epic. Basically Last Man Standing was a transmission of what Epic wanted me to do. Basically going through the politics of record and then wanting to follow trends at the time… and how everybody was bling blingin’ and suited and booted and the Mafioso and all that bullshit. So that was basically Epics record, Last Man Standing. They brought in Daz to produce, they brought in Muggs to produce. The album was a good album, but it just wasn’t my album. It was what I was trying to do to please them, because I thought we would continue our relationship which we didn’t cuz that was the last record… Which I kind of knew so I titled it Last Man Standing.

Ok. And then you signed to Hoo Bangin Records and released Section 8.

Section 8 is me trying to get back to the hood. Trying to basically focus on… From the Last Man Standing record it was a 180 turn. Going back to what I been used to doing. It was strictly for the streets, for the homies… dealing with the streets you know, what’s going on, the neighbourhood, how n*ggas still tryina hustle to feed their families and just real music that people of my era appreciate. Everybody was bling blinging, riding on boats and flying planes and all that shit… Section 8 was trying to take them back to… you know just a nice street hood record.

Ok. And then there’s N’ My Neighbourhood.

N’ My Neighbourhood was once again trying to stick to my old pattern. Like they say; If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. So I was just basically trying to be mellowed out on N’ My Neighbourhood. N’ My Neighbourhood was a mellow record. Just trying to pick what was going on in the streets of LA and Compton. Around here. That’s why I titled it N’ My Neighbourhood because it was just basically a story of what was going on in my neighbourhood.

Ok. And then you released an independent record called Tha8t’z Gangsta.

Yeah that was my first independent record. I started the label Half Ounce Records so basically it was just an independent record just trying to stay in the game looking at my options… if I wanted to sign with a major label or if I wanted to try to do my own thing. So Tha8t’z Gangsta was just basically trying to test the independent market. See if the fans was still behind me and acceptable to MC Eiht. Like I said, the industry was changing and we had the Eminems going on and the Nellys and all that shit. So that was basically just trying to stay grounded and even though I wasn’t trying to be nation wide or commercial or anything like that, it was just basically MC Eiht trying to exercise, ya know what I’m sayin…

Yeah ok. And then there is Underground Hero…

Underground Hero was another project I did independently. Like I said, once again; Me just loving hiphop and loving street music. What I do. N*ggaz not doing what I like to hear so even though it’s on a minor record I needed to put out a record, you know, just for myself. So Underground Hero was just trying to keep my shit going. Not trying to fall off the horce or fall off the bandwagon and people having nothing to associate with MC Eiht. That was for the most true people who knew about MC Eiht and was always expecting records from MC Eiht. So that was just something to give them. To tie them over till my next move.

Ok. And that’s why you called it Underground Hero I guess.

Right.

Ok. What about Hood Arrest?

Hood Arrest was just some old stuff I had laying around. Old cuts that I had did from way back and songs that I had done from like 97 or 96. So basically I just went to the studio, remastered them and put some new beats behind them… and put it out independently with an other label I had started.

read more at www.worldwideconnected.com
    Check out www.worldwideconnected.com for Hip-Hop & RnB News, Interviews, Reviews, Audio, Videos, Articles, Mobile entertainment, Wallpapers, Dimes, Forum and more...

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by dechanterait36, Today, 05:20 AM
0 responses
1 view
0 likes
Last Post dechanterait36  
Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 05:09 AM
0 responses