East Coast vs. West Coast... not so one-sided

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East Coast vs. West Coast... not so one-sided

For time now the common opinion is that the East Coast rap scene puts the West in the shade.

Pretty much since Tupac died.

But the West is catchin up big time and is ready to take it back IMO.

The biggest talking point right now in Hip-Hop is Game vs 50.

Opinion is that Game is killin G-unit and people are siding with him. His next album WILL create as much hype as any rap album we've seen in a while.

Where as the Massacre was a huge let down, The Documentary was arguably classic (not in my opinion, but close). Laid down by new rising west coast star and the king of the west, fuck it, the King of hip-hop period right now Dr. Dre.

Even east coast guys who did have respect etc are selling out to the dollar... eg Mobb Deep and Mase.

Nothing fresh is coming out of the east. Guys are making albums but nothing is making a mark. Jigga retired... shit Nas is almost the only dude the east can count on. Expectations for his next record are huge.

I duno, things will look up when Papoose gets signed. but no-one is guaranteed to blow.

If you count Em and Kanye as East coast artists... well Em is in a bad situation right now following an average LP.. he needs to come back strong as ever. And Kanye... lyrically isnt anywhere near the top in the game he can just make hot, hot records.

At the moment I can't think of anything exciting coming out of the east... young guys with potential like Fab aint fulfulling it. Fuck dipset, we aint even counting them.
    Maybe Joe Budden has a big chance with the growth and i'm looking forward to it.

but the West... The game is killing it. Dre still runs thing. Snoop is doing his thing. His new artist looks a big signing (Bishop Lamont) and with Dre on the boards you know that album will be near enough classic. everything i've heard from him so far is NICE.
    Not to mention consistent guys like Xzibit who is capable of coming back with another massive album.

and holy shit... Crooked I's album is finally gona drop... and I GUARANTEE that will be big.

I duno, it just seems to me all the hype and excitement right now is coming out of the west... the only talking point the east has nowadays is 50 Cent.
    DIPSET

Nice read, but, the 'West' seems more like Aftermath (especially with all the dukes you named). Regardless, I love the Westcoast sound. It's the only thing I bump in my Jeep.
    change must come from within

Comment

I agree but I think it's unfair to call Midwest artists like Eminem and Kanye East Coast, the Midwest is a whole different region.

I think the West is coming back but not at a fast enough rate. I mean Dre's probably gonna bring it back with Detox, but as much of a legend as he is, there's no one really as ahead of the game as he is and definitely not as he was back in the day. Dre comes up with a style and the entire rap game bites it within a few months, that's becaues his musical talent transcends gangsta rap and all hip hop, it's just that much better. There's no one really like that on any coasts production-wise, and lyricists aren't as capable of making that much massive change as producers are. So Detox is gonna blow the game away but what about after Dre's gone? That'll be a sad day, and he's not getting any younger.

Still, I agree the West will come back, it needs to come back.
      "The world is changing and there are new opportunities for those who are ready to join forces with those who are stronger and more experienced" -Lucky Luciano (1897-1962)

Comment

Originally posted by cfc_magic_4life
        For time now the common opinion is that the East Coast rap scene puts the West in the shade.

Pretty much since Tupac died.

But the West is catchin up big time and is ready to take it back IMO.

The biggest talking point right now in Hip-Hop is Game vs 50.

Opinion is that Game is killin G-unit and people are siding with him. His next album WILL create as much hype as any rap album we've seen in a while.

Where as the Massacre was a huge let down, The Documentary was arguably classic (not in my opinion, but close). Laid down by new rising west coast star and the king of the west, fuck it, the King of hip-hop period right now Dr. Dre.

Even east coast guys who did have respect etc are selling out to the dollar... eg Mobb Deep and Mase.

Nothing fresh is coming out of the east. Guys are making albums but nothing is making a mark. Jigga retired... shit Nas is almost the only dude the east can count on. Expectations for his next record are huge.

I duno, things will look up when Papoose gets signed. but no-one is guaranteed to blow.

If you count Em and Kanye as East coast artists... well Em is in a bad situation right now following an average LP.. he needs to come back strong as ever. And Kanye... lyrically isnt anywhere near the top in the game he can just make hot, hot records.

At the moment I can't think of anything exciting coming out of the east... young guys with potential like Fab aint fulfulling it. Fuck dipset, we aint even counting them.
        Maybe Joe Budden has a big chance with the growth and i'm looking forward to it.

but the West... The game is killing it. Dre still runs thing. Snoop is doing his thing. His new artist looks a big signing (Bishop Lamont) and with Dre on the boards you know that album will be near enough classic. everything i've heard from him so far is NICE.
        Not to mention consistent guys like Xzibit who is capable of coming back with another massive album.

and holy shit... Crooked I's album is finally gona drop... and I GUARANTEE that will be big.

I duno, it just seems to me all the hype and excitement right now is coming out of the west... the only talking point the east has nowadays is 50 Cent.

I totally agree, West Coast and East Coast are both unique, that's why I like 'em both, it'd be great to see both coast's combine their talents more often.....
        YoU Can'T HurT wHat'S No lONger ThERe.... wITh nO heArT...I dOn't FUCKEN CARE

Comment

Niice but what u said about Joe Budden is wrong. You act like he is a monor or something, Joe Budden is ill man n he dont need another album to proove it
          Walk the path of Jesus, witness if Hell frizzes
          The mind teases reality, crack the pieces
          Nothin' eases, bein' chastise with blood baptize
          Guys revise, acknowledge past lives
          MF Grimm

Comment

doont forget dj quik is about to drop as well, and murs
            Fav mcs
            Eminem,Cormega,nas,Immortal technique,tupac,DMX,Murs,Too short,talib kweli, ,common,ras kass,Guru,Rakim, ChinoXL, slug,jin, Brother ali,Canibus,masta ace,Royce da 59,1 be lo,AZ,aesop rock

Comment

Originally posted by shadystan
              doont forget dj quik is about to drop as well, and murs
              Quik is the man.
              change must come from within

Comment

Originally posted by Tha Essential
                Niice but what u said about Joe Budden is wrong. You act like he is a monor or something, Joe Budden is ill man n he dont need another album to proove it
                I agree about Budden. But course he needs another album to prove it. I believe the Growth will be hot... but let's just see.

I can't believe there isnt more hype around Crooked I... dude's album will be amazing.
                DIPSET

Comment

Lil Eazy-e is gonna blow with his cd Prins of Compton (Produced by Dr.Dre., Dj Quick)
                  Proof was a fucking bitch i hope he burns in hell fuck you bitch

Comment

I Dont Like How The Thread Starter Didn't Even Pay Attention To The People Makin The Biggest Noise In The West (San Quinn, Keak Da Sneak, E-40, C-Bo And All His Dudes, Yukmouth, Roscoe). I Hate It When People Who Know Nothin' About The West Tryna Say Somethin About It.
                    This Is 4 Gangstaz Only, The Dance Floors Packed And Them Thangs Is On Me, These Cats Wanna Hate Cause' They Dames Is On Me, We Strapped In The Club So Its Dangerous Homie

Clap Dat Niqqa

Comment

Originally posted by DPGunit
                      I Dont Like How The Thread Starter Didn't Even Pay Attention To The People Makin The Biggest Noise In The West (San Quinn, Keak Da Sneak, E-40, C-Bo And All His Dudes, Yukmouth, Roscoe). I Hate It When People Who Know Nothin' About The West Tryna Say Somethin About It.
                      hey, I aint gona lie, I aint heard much of those dudes except some Yukmouth and Roscoe.

There are mad artists in the east like that makin moves too...

I'm looking at it from a mainstream point of view. Those guys aint house hold names... if some of em blow up, good for them.
                      DIPSET

Comment

DPG-Unit, You Gotta Realise You In The West, So You Gon Be Hearin' About These Dudes Day In Day Out Pretty Much. The Thread Starter Is A UK Cat, So He Aint. I Am Too And Yeah I Aint Heard Of None Of Those Dudes Except Yukmouth And Roscoe, The Name C-Bo Rings A Bell Too.

Hottest Dudes In The Game Right Now Period imo: Game + Kanye
                        Esteemed Entity

Illusory|Retro Fo|DuPoint|Check|Fitz|Pawl Derty|InK|Teknique

Check out my 4K post shoutoutz

http://www.d12world.com/board/showthread.php?t=318243

Comment

right ^^^^

I mean, I can start talking about the UK scene, UK artists and they'd be like.... what the fuck.

You gotta understand I'm talking about the mainstream Hip-Hop scene.
                          DIPSET

Comment

ye love them both. i do think the east has better mc's but the west has more style and much beter beats. anything to get the south off the top lol

Comment

i like the sound of the south..

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by pdumbgukogqw, Today, 02:18 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes