Most Influential...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Influential...

What are, in your opinion, the most influential hip hop albums/rappers/songs of all time?

i.e.

Albums:
    Paid In Full, Critical Beatdown, The Great Adventures Of Slick Rick, It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back, The Chronic...

Rappers:
    Rakim, Kool Keith, Chuck D, Nas, 2Pac, KRS One...

Songs:
    Brenda's Got A Baby, Nuthin' But A 'G' Thang, The World Is Yours, Fuck Tha Police, C.R.E.A.M., The Bridge Is Over, Walk This Way, Cop Killa...

Well you get the idea

rappers, besides the ones u listed gotta go with ll cool j, one of the first successful mainstream, and also run dmc and the beastie boys
    for songs im gonna say
    the message by grandmaster flash
    rapper's delight by sugarhill gang
    fight the power by public enemy
    Albums:
    LL Cool J-Radio
    Beastie Boys-Liscenced To Ill, Paul's Boutique
    BDP-Criminal Minded

Comment

just a few
      rappers dre, nas, pac, big, krs(He is hip hop)
      albums 2001, illmatic, ready to die

Comment

i no ill get slated for this but em also did alot for it wit his albums n most notably the marshell mathers lp

pm
        You ain't got a truck that's hooked up with rims
        Kids'll see you like "damn, why I looked up to him?

Comment

dont be ashamed to say Eminem was influential, dude was extremely influential....Lose Yourself, to me is the most influential hip hop track of all time....

aside from that i can note artists who i feel just have an overload of influential tracks...
          Nas and KRS tops my list, followed by
          Eminem
          Hov
          Pac
          Pun
          Rakim
          Bone
          Tech
          Royce
          shit even Krumbz (Kontentz Under Pressure was extremely versatile, underground but still dope beats, concepts was crazy, and he shitted the fuck outta that album from beginning to end)

these are the ones who were the most influential to me, i cant really put one over there other, since they all have different styles that are different. buts its all hip hop so its all good. there would be days where i listen to Technique all day, there would be days where i listen to KRS all day.

WWW.LIFEAFTERTHEOILCRASH.NET

WWW.LIFEAFTERTHEOILCRASH.NET WWW.LIFEAFTERTHEOILCRASH.NET

Comment

Surprised noone's said NWA - Straight Outta Compton

Comment

call the cops when you see tupac

*leaves*
              THEY SCARED TO DEATH, THEY SCARED TO LOOK, THEY SHOOK...
              CAUSE AINT NO SUCH THING AS HALF WAY CROOKS

BATTLES:9
              WON: 9
              KO'S: 9

Comment

Originally posted by Xcellerat0r
                Surprised noone's said NWA - Straight Outta Compton
                Definitely that one, NWA was obviously very influencial. Also there was Ice-T, who was also a pioneer and came up with the prototype to gangsta rap, and Too $hort, who came up with the pimped-out shit that was edgy and original back in the day but was beaten to death over the years (of course that's just my opinion, that case could be made for any of the artists I'm talking about). Also speaking of NWA, everyone knows how much Straight Outta Compton and the Chronic had an influence on gangsta rap but an overlooked but extremely influencial one was Efil4zaggin. That was just as groundbreaking production-wise as The Chronic was a year later, it was also the first "horrorcore" rap record to reach the top of the charts and until Eminem's first two albums it was the only one. Another one people don't mention a lot is E-40, who used a lot of the West Coast slang before Snoop did. And then there's Ice Cube, a groundbreaking storyteller whose early career proved that gangsta rap could still be socially conscious, though pretty much all rap albums had at least a little bit of socially conscious material on them until NWA's proudly sociopathic sophomore album. Come to think of it, that's probably why a lot of people try to sweep that one under the rug.
                Last edited by Lucky Luciano; 08-22-2005, 03:17 PM.
                "The world is changing and there are new opportunities for those who are ready to join forces with those who are stronger and more experienced" -Lucky Luciano (1897-1962)

Comment

it was also the first "horrorcore" rap record to reach the top of the charts and until Eminem's first two albums it was the only one
                  Dosen't Bone Thugs E.1999 album count as horrorcore rap too?It had alot of horrorcore elements to it.
                  Listen To Hip Hop Mixes mixed by yours truly the bad half,AKA DJ V Smoothhttp://soundcloud.com/dj-scout-v

Comment

That's a good point, and you know that one I would call "horrorcore lite" if that makes sense. It has horrorcore themes in several songs like "Me Killa" and "Die Die Die," that's definitely a theme in the album. So in the sense of having very nihilistic themes it's a horrorcore record, it was record that had those themes but wasn't so in-your-face that it would turn off mainstream rap listeners. That one is my favorite Bone Thugs record. Remember that Eazy-E, who discovered them, was very enthusiastic about horrorcore rap and that's why Efil4zaggin turned out the way it did (also listen to "Sorry Louie" and "24 Hours to Live" by him and you'll see the same thing). What's interesting about Efil4zaggin though, is that unlike Straight Outta Compton and Death Row's music, at least half the songs on it would still be controversial if released today. That one really pushed the limit of what kind of songs you can put out, and the fact that the beats were groundbreaking and still sound good today is what makes the record even more disturbing for a lot of people to listen to.
                    "The world is changing and there are new opportunities for those who are ready to join forces with those who are stronger and more experienced" -Lucky Luciano (1897-1962)

Comment

I never heard the NWA albums.I've heard songs off of them though.E.1999 was a bit weird.I was looking in the booklet the other day,and it did say "Concept By:Eazy-E".The book was weird too.Anyway,You can tell the difference in Bone's music after he died.It wasn't scary or anything like that.I prefer Art Of War.But that's another story.
                      Last edited by The Bad Half; 08-22-2005, 07:50 PM.
                      Listen To Hip Hop Mixes mixed by yours truly the bad half,AKA DJ V Smoothhttp://soundcloud.com/dj-scout-v

Comment

I think Art of War is pretty good but E.1999 is one of my favorite hip hop records. Their music is bound to be good but the concept of that album was really good too. I love "Me Killa" because it's got the old doo-wop sound to it, kinda like NWA's "Don't Drink That Wine" interlude. "Mo Murda" is another great one, so is the intro track and "Land of the Heartless" but they're all good. It's got the horrorcore themes but more trippy than shocking. Also it isn't really a sexual or misogynistic album, very much unlike Efil4zaggin which spent half the album taking that stuff as far as it can go (probably another reason some people don't like that one).

Comment

2Pac .
                          Soul Through The Ink
                          RIP PROOF

Comment

Albums:
                            Paid In Full, Critical Beatdown, The Great Adventures Of Slick Rick, It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back, The Chronic...

Rappers:
                            Rakim, Wu Tang Clan, Chuck D, KRS One...

Songs:
                            Brenda's Got A Baby, Nuthin' But A 'G' Thang, The World Is Yours, Fuck Tha Police, C.R.E.A.M., The Bridge Is Over, Walk This Way, Cop Killa...

Those Are All My Favorites..................
                            http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...hetto_zoom.gif

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by ketoslim5, Today, 07:57 AM
                            0 responses
                            1 view
                            0 likes
                            Last Post ketoslim5  
                            Started by ketoslim5, Today, 07:55 AM