Joe Budden, Interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Budden, Interview

Q: When you head into the studio do you go in with the mind state of making a record to fit the radio format?

A: Nah when I go into the studio Iím just trying to do what I got to do. I donít go in trying to cater to the radio unless Iím asked to or should I say forced to by the record company. Besides that I just go in and just let the pen flow and allow the music to come out.

Q: As a consumer, am I compelled to purchase a Joe Budden album because of who Joe Budden is or because of the music he makes?

A: A little of both, a Joe Budden fan respects that fact that Iím as real as I am. You have a lot of *****z in the game whose careers are based on the image of being real. They know when they buy a Joe Budden album theyíre going to get 100% authenticity, no sugar coating and no bullshitting going on. They also know that Iím one of the top mcís in the game right now. Iím 24 years old. Not too many *****z get busy on the mic that is within my age group. Most of these cats that say theyíre 24 are really 32 and I say that not to discredit anybody.

Q: Where are you now as a person compared to when you first got your record deal at Def Jam?

A: First album was fun! Even with the sleepless nights in the studios without taking a shower it was still all fun because it was a new, fresh experience. Now Iím not going to even front, this shit is starting to take a toll on me so its not as fun anymore. I still enjoy making the music but now I pay attention to a lot of things I may have not in the past. As an artist you hear music different. As a producer you canít turn on the radio and just enjoy the music because youíre too busy listening to what kind of snare was being used. You go to the club and youíre trying to hear what the next ***** on the mic is saying instead of enjoying the music. It becomes more work than leisure.

Q: As an artist how important is your relationship with the staff members at your label?

A: I think itís extremely important. There have been quiet a few times in my career that I made some critical statements in regards to my label. If Iím not satisfied with something in regards to my career Iím going to let it be known because Iím an emotional dude. I guess in this world of hip hop business itís cool to shield your true feelings on certain situations but FUCK THAT! Iím not with that and Iím the type of ***** thatís going to speak his mind. Sometimes I might feel like coming up here (Def Jam Offices) and putting my hands on somebody but of course thatís not the right way to go about business. You have to remember at the end of the day these are the people that are there to help you so itís always in your best interest as an artist to build good relationships with the staff. You donít want to burn no bridges you canít cross back over.

Q: Weíre in front of this big ass corporate tower where the Def Jam/Island offices are located. Why donít we own this shit?

A: Because weíre satisfied with the nickels and dimes that are being fed to us, thatís why! Put an album out, it sells what it sells and it grosses millions of dollars but weíre just happy with netting just a million off of it. Iíve always said if all the rappers in the game right now said ďfuck that weíre not putting out any more music until we get more control of this shitĒ we would have more control. Thatís whatís going on in the NHL (National Hockey League) right now. Theyíre not playing because they want more than want was being fed to them. Same thing went down in the NBA in 98-99 for the same reasons. They may have not gotten everything they wanted but they sure had a better deal than what they had prior to that.

We need a ***** like a Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson or Russell Simmons to help pull that off. If I try to go to these rappers with that shit theyíll look at me like Iím a fucking idiot but if it came from one of them they would consider it.

Q: Did you renegotiate your contract with this second project youíre working on?

A: I was fortunate enough to sign a great deal from the beginning so I didnít have to go back to the table and fight for any changes with this new album. A lot of new artist sign contracts where the label controls shit like your music on ringtones and things like that and Iím like ďget the fuck outta here!Ē

Shout out the team thatís behind you because people often see the artist and not the key people around him or her.

On Top all day! Anytime you hear Joe Budden youíre hearing the whole team which consist of Web, Nitty, Terry and myself. Canít forget my lawyer, that makes 5 even though heís not a part of On Top heís very important as well. Shout out to him.

Q: Whatís your take on the illegal downloading issue?

A: Iím on the Internet every single day no doubt! Iím not going to front Iíve downloaded a couple of joints but at the end of the day you have the people that respect the game and theyíll download and if they like it theyíll go and purchase it and you have the others that will download whatever the fuck they want and wonít ever spend a dime. Itís not only with music but with the DVDís as well. BlockBuster doesnít even charge and late fees any more and why is that? Because *****z is downloading everything so I think it does hurt at the end of the day but how can you stop that and the bootlegging?

Q: Do you think there is a psychology that goes with using the Internet?

A: You got some *****z that are just very young and are not old enough to go out in the real world and do certain things and donít have anything better to do than go on the Internet. Then you have other cats which Iím sure are on the Internet for other reasons. What those reasons are I donít know.

Q: Do you think weíre looking at the end of an era of a multi-million record seller that is also respected for his skills on the mic?

A: Nah this isnít the end, you will definitely see more of that. If Kanye West wasnít a producer he would get a lot more credit as a rapper and he sold a couple of million units. Hip Hop changes like every 5 years. It will go from the ill lyricists to the dumb down bullshit to the hardcore shit to the candy coated shit so itís a cycle. I think the lyrical era will be back sooner than people expect. You canít teach a ***** how to be wack.

Q: Outside of being an artist what is Joe Buddenís getting into?

A: I have a few things being worked out. I have my own label poppin off called All World and I have an artist who already has hit records under his belt but Iím not going to say his name yet. But to be honest Iím not done doing what I have to do as an artist yet so when I feel Iíve reached my peak in this game whether as a Gold or Platinum artist or just an artist that sells 200,000 copies and cakes off the publishing once thatís done Iíll be able to focus more on other aspects like running my label, etcÖ

Q: Speaking of publishing, do you purposely make sure that you choose tracks that donít contain any samples?

A: Definitely! The only way Iíll take a track containing a sample is if the sampleís extremely nutty and I just love it to death or I know itís not going to cost me much. Samples will kill you and your pockets. Publishing is very important in this game believe that!

Q: Is your publishing tied into the same machine as yourÖ

A: No, no, no! Iíll be on the Internet and Iíll see people saying ďOh Joe Buddenís brokeĒ or ďHis album floppedĒ but what they donít realize is that yea the album went Gold but Pump It Up was a smash recordÖthey use it in commercials, all over the place. Every time that song is played in any format I get paid from it! Thatís what the publishing hustle is all about. The budget for my first album was $250,000 which is not very much and I had maybe four samples on it and I went Gold and I had a smash record so I made a lot of publishing bread. Get up on your publishing game!

Q: Through your experience walking through the fire what advice would you give to the aspiring artist?

A: Get a good lawyer, read the fine print and know your worth! I donít care if you donít have a deal or never been with a major label but you get busy. Know how much that is worth.

I'm the Mujahideen and I'm making a scene! now your gonna feel what the boom boom mean like tupac said when i die i aint dead we are the matyr's you are squashed tomatoes

good read glad to hear Joe starting his own label and I can't wait to hear who he signed. I wish that Jay-Z would get out there and use his influence to make sure that the Growth outsells every rap album released this year. Budden definetly deserves to sell the most.
    Take each day one step at a time.

Comment

Budden is the man. He always talks sense in any interview. Big up to him
      LOL @ You

Comment

props on the interview, budden is a smart dude, nice lyricist too
        Wu-Tang Clan Aint Nuttin' To Fuck Wit'

Comment

yea good read.

joe buddens is a good emcee

prolly talkng about yayo "rappers claimin they 24 n they 32" lol

Comment