Influence From Your Coasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Influence From Your Coasts

I know everyone is from different areas, and every area has there own style. The south is obviously the most different from the other types of Hip Hop. Jadakiss is right when he said the South 90% beats, & 10% lyrics, & I'm from the heart of the south. I see people here saying that people who don't even listen to Hip Hop listen to Pac & stuff, so I'm assuming that people that are fans of Hip Hop listen to that real stuff. And of course everyone is going to listen to local underground, but is the West & East influenced like the South is?

To me, I must be the only (or one of the only), who love that old shyt and real music. And I have friends who are big Hip Hop fans, but never heard a whole NaS song at once, when most of these emcees are quoting him & others. It's plain arrogance. They think Hip Hop came from the South, which is BS. I ask some dudes like if they think Scarface is good, & they are like, "ain't that that one guy from Houston". I'm just like damn. If you from Texas, you prolly know DSR, or Dirty South Ridaz. Think Mike Jones, but worse. And people swear by these guys. The worst is when I be seeing a lot, and I mean a lot, of people wearin' air brush tees with Pac, BIG, or Scarface (not the rapper), on it, and half of them don't even own a Pac or BIG album or never seen the movie Scarface.

My question is, does your coast influence you on what you listen too? Are people where you are from open to other forms of Hip Hop, or do they just follow just follow what everyone else do?

I hate how the south is pretty much the only shit they play on the radio. I used to have to defend rap when white people (for the most part) said all rap sounds alike and it isn't really music and bullshit like that, but now with all the shit on the radio biting off of lil jon's beats I have to admit it does sound the same.

But to the influence, sadly most rappers in Cincinnati try to rap like southern rappers and 99% of them are shitty. There are at least 20 pretty big local rappers who all have the exact same style. This one 'producer' is gettin sued (I think) by lil jon for takin a beat from him. It's pathetic. There are some guys who have real talent, but they dont get exposure cuz the DJs are too busy with their wannabe crunk music. Cincinnati rap in general is bad.

God, take me back to Brooklyn.
    National Champion North Carolina Tarheels

Comment

when it comes to the south i think of one thing
      cunninlynguists.
      End of story.

Comment

Yea shit sucks latley everyone around me listens to Ying Yang, Kie Jones, n G-Unit. I play one Bone Thugs song n their like that guys a fag with the hig voice. I hate it they dont understand lyrics at all they just listen to beats n go along with whats cool. Their all followers

Comment

Where I'm from it's all about BEP, G-Unit and Eminem I don't really think that the South has takin' over here yet, maybe a few rappers and most the rappers in my country sound like Eminem and there's one who try to be Twista (rapping fast)... I think in a couple of years rap ain't that popular as is now because what the most people in this world listen to is all that mainstream rap and it is starting to sound the same...
          There are guys who just figure
          Have a problem with a gun
          And a finger on a trigger
          Can be dangerous and hurt someone

Poor Lonesome Cowboy

Comment

South rap is actually pretty tight if you know what to listen to.

I'm from Atlanta, and I think it definately influences me. I still listen to the legends like Pac, Biggie, Hov, Nas, and other emcees from the East & West. It is pretty disappointing to me that people on the East think of Ying Yang Twins & Mike Jones when they think South because that's all they play on the radio. There is some dope southern artists though that don't get any radio play anymore. But the thing is we live in 2005. We have the internet. You can create your own playlist, so using the radio as a scapegoat is a terrible excuse. You are your own DJ. The music is out there for you to listen to.

Also, I wouldn't say ALL southern music is 10% lyrically. Alot of Southern artists are very talented lyrically. Hell, even T.I.P., who is on the radio every 10 minutes, is a good lyricist and he's as mainstream as you get. So I don't really buy Jadakiss' theory. Andre 3000? Yeah, South has some dope lyricists.

Comment

it definitely does influence what i listen to...i grew up on Wu-Tang, Biggie, Jeru, Black Moon, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, Gangstarr, Smif-N-Wessun, Nas, Mobb Deep, Mic Geronimo, etc----- all of these artists are inherently east coast...

that doesn't mean that i won't listen to a west coast, midwest or southern artist, but my tastes are primarily east coast...some times you might have artists who are from one area even though they sound like they're from the east coast (Skillz, Little Brother, Ras Kass, etc), and usually i enjoy their music more than artists who have their region's sound...

one of the worst things is when these east coast rappers try to do southern type songs, or west coast type songs...some times it might work, but the truth is thats not your style...thats why i praise Saigon, who pretty much put these types of artists on blast...

Comment

i think it influences you the most when you first start listening to rap.Like for me i started listening to snoop, dre, cube,westside connection.Then i started listening to wu tang, nas,jay -z, But ofcourse when i hear a bangin westcoast song i go crazy.just like if you heard a anthem for your side.

and as far as rap right now like krs-one said "hiphop is in a ice age" and when its over it will be better that before.(hopefully)

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by basketballeven, 11-24-2020, 02:28 PM
                6 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post basketballeven  
                Started by Madeline, Today, 02:50 AM
                1 response