do you think...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do you think...

.... that no matter how good album was, that it never can't top some older classics? just beacuse they're older?
    it's like the beef between two classics, one new, other older, and the older one always wins...
    for example let's took wu tang's enter the 36 chambers, and when you try to compare it to any album that today is acknowledged as great, for example lupe's cool, or game theory, or stankonia, or some newer great album, you name it... and in the end you come to conclusion that older is always better

what do you think?
    Last.FM

First.
    HEADSHOTS; NIGGA FUCK YO VEST

www.***********.info

Comment

people tend to think older is better due to the memories that said classic albums can induce. sometimes older material embraces not only a sound, but like...a state of mind. for some people, you cant duplicate or put a price on the way that said albums make them feel, so when you compare a newer album to an older "classic" album on the basis of lyrical presence or sound or whatnot, while it may be "better", it cant ever be "better" than an older album.

i understand that train of thought to an extent, but if an album is lyrically better or more cohesive or can stand the test of time next to a so called "classic" album, then im calling a spade a spade. sometimes older doesnt mean better, but sometimes older material has a sentimental value that newer cds cant ascertain.
      Last edited by Eyerone; 08-06-2008, 07:47 AM.
      Rhyme & Reason
      Follow me on Twitter: @Eyerone
      #classreunionmuzik
      Check out my newest freestyle: Eyerone "Can't Tell Me Nothin" http://bln.kr/14VV/

Comment

^ i agree...

and how'd you say *****?

edit: fucking racial slurs.
        "Step into my dojo, mofo..."

Comment

The cool is nowhere near 36 chambers

I don't think that in the last 2 - 3 years a classic album came out... Donuts is the last IMHO

I dunno...

Comment

Originally posted by core View Post
            The cool is nowhere near 36 chambers

why not?
            Rhyme & Reason
            #classreunionmuzik
            Check out my newest freestyle: Eyerone "Can't Tell Me Nothin" http://bln.kr/14VV/

Comment

I've always wondered the exact same thing lauryn, why people have a mindset that newer releases can never top the old material.

One thing that you should keep in mind is that a lot of the older music is much more creative and original than most (not all) of the hip-hop that comes out nowadays. Most of these artists, just follow what someone else is doing and never can come up with anything on their own. Like when NaS said "everybody sound the same" in the Hip Hop is Dead track.

That said, I don't always like the older material more than the new stuff. Sometimes I do, but it really depends on what two albums you're comparing.

I just feel the older material gets more respect due to it's originality and creativity.
              Minnesota Vikings needs in the offseason

- QB

- Re-sign Sidney Rice

- Defensive Backs

Comment

Originally posted by Eyerone View Post
                why not?
                word

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyT View Post
                  I've always wondered the exact same thing lauryn, why people have a mindset that newer releases can never top the old material.

One thing that you should keep in mind is that a lot of the older music is much more creative and original than most (not all) of the hip-hop that comes out nowadays. Most of these artists, just follow what someone else is doing and never can come up with anything on their own. Like when NaS said "everybody sound the same" in the Hip Hop is Dead track.

That said, I don't always like the older material more than the new stuff. Sometimes I do, but it really depends on what two albums you're comparing.

I just feel the older material gets more respect due to it's originality and creativity.

word.
                  Rhyme & Reason
                  #classreunionmuzik

Comment

Originally posted by Eyerone View Post
                    people tend to think older is better due to the memories that said classic albums can induce. sometimes older material embraces not only a sound, but like...a state of mind. for some people, you cant duplicate or put a price on the way that said albums make them feel, so when you compare a newer album to an older "classic" album on the basis of lyrical presence or sound or whatnot, while it may be "better", it cant ever be "better" than an older album.
                    i understand that train of thought to an extent, but if an album is lyrically better or more cohesive or can stand the test of time next to a so called "classic" album, then im calling a spade a spade. sometimes older doesnt mean better, but sometimes older material has a sentimental value that newer cds cant ascertain.
                    close thread

Comment

well, a classic album is hard to come by nowadays imo...there are a lot of great albums, but classic material in today's time is harder to come by...a classic album entails many different things...it's possible to have skilled lyricists who can't make an album worth really listening to (i.e., Canibus' first album)...

the example you used, Enter the 36 and The Cool...what Lupe has over that album is that he went into several concepts and varied his flows and he's of course a skilled lyricist...what Enter has is that it's one of the first rap albums i really liked, had better beats imo and is a record i enjoy listening to...i like The Cool but i don't go back to it the way i still go back to Wu's first album...

i'm probably biased but then again, my favorite era is the early 90s to mid 90s...there are probably dudes who were heavy in the 80s, who would disagree with my opinion...Lupe can be a classic artist for a newer generation the way Wu was for me...

but it also depends from artist to artist...i think Run-D.M.C.'s Tougher Than Leather is dope, but i like Wu's Enter the 36 more, even though Tougher came out first...
                      Last edited by Tone Riggz; 08-06-2008, 03:33 PM.

Comment

The Cool is nowhere near 36 Chambers because it isn't nearly as groundbreaking, or innovative. And the production on it is nothing special at all, its a 8-9 album for me where-as 36 chambers is a certified 10
                        I ran like a cheetah with thoughts of an assassin

Comment

Originally posted by dreftsnoop View Post
                          The Cool is nowhere near 36 Chambers because it isn't nearly as groundbreaking, or innovative. And the production on it is nothing special at all, its a 8-9 album for me where-as 36 chambers is a certified 10

Yep.. in 15 years will people really remember The Cool?? Probably, but no way it will even be considered on the same level as the 36 Chambers, thats considered one of the best of all time.

Innovation is why a lot of those earlier classic albums are considered classics. So today its not that the skill is not there, but just artists are less innovative.

Comment

me personally..i never caught the whole wu tang bus. thats just me. that doesnt discredit them as rappers or rza as a producer. i recognize what it did for the game and the trends that they set using that album, but personally i never took to the wu like a lot of other people did. it is what it is.

and that goes back to the fact that its deeper than just music.
                            Rhyme & Reason
                            #classreunionmuzik

Comment

Originally posted by dreftsnoop View Post
                              My thoughts exactly

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Deborahlanker, 06-03-2021, 08:33 PM
                              6 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Glenedelstein  
                              Started by Omaha17, 11-11-2007, 08:02 PM