Eminem - The Eminem Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eminem - The Eminem Show

After releasing two solo projects (The Slim Shady LP in 1999 and The Marshall Mathers LP in 2000) and releasing an album with his Detroit click, D12, Devil’s Night in 2001, Eminem returns with an all-new album. It’s his most personal effort yet, unlike any of the others. The man who once rapped about “doin acid, crack, smack, coke and smokin dope”, having a threesome with singers Brandy, Monica and Aailyah, and “raping his own mother” on at least one occasion, decides to take a more mature approach this time around. It’s obvious he’s grown a lot over the years, as both a rap-star and a “real person” (most notably, a father), as he gives the listener a major glimpse of his life, in the form of a show. Yes, the life of Marshall Mathers, which was already a media freak-show, is now officially open to the public. So, come one, come all. The Show is about to begin.

It all starts with a simple intro, which has the man of the hour willingly stepping into the spot-light as the crowd applauds. The audience includes some of everybody, including that boisterous 13 year-old kid who beat-up little Johnny for his new Eminem CD, the dozens and dozens of album reviewers across the country who caught months of heck-mail for praising his last album, and that abstinent computer hacker who heard the album several weeks before it’s official release. Once Eminem has America’s attention, he goes for the kill. Over a grungy, guitar-laced, beat (produced by himself, like most of the tracks on the album), he gives a political speech, examining his popularity and infamy in America, and the reasons behind them, as arguable as his reasons may be. For example, he credits his looks, most notably his “dimples” and skin color (“Look at my sales, let’s do the math / If I was black, I would’ve sold half”) for his success. Maybe I’m just naïve for thinking all this time it was because of his lyrical talent. Besides, lyrical talent alone is the reason I once called him “quite possibly the greatest MC of all time”.

As his verses on D12’s Devil’s Night suggested, it’s safe to say that title has gotten a bit tarnished. He can still rhyme with the best of them... A lot of his verses on this new album have very complex rhyme-schemes (check-out “Till I Collapse”, featuring Nate Dogg)... How he says what he says is still top-quality... but the actual substance (what he actually says) is his most unimaginative ever.

Eminem was once known for his hilariously-twisted sense of humor, but you'll have a hard time trying to find even one funny line on this whole album. Not that he doesn’t try every now and then, but when he does, he falls flat in a bed of greasy pop-corn (“There’s no such thing, like a female with good looks who cooks and cleans”, or better yet, “How can one Chandra be so Levy?”).

Then again, maybe it’s not fair to judge the album from that perspective. Besides, no artist should be criticized for putting all jokes aside and doing a “serious” album. Problem is, even with that taken into account, when compared to his “serious” songs of the past (such as “Rock Bottom” and “Stan”), the overall quality, imagination and creativity presented here is still minimal.

He yells most of the vocals on most of the album, sometimes sounding as if he’s trying to mimic the trademark flow of the late Tupac Shakur. And even that would be okay, if only the content were interesting, but it simply isn't all that interesting, at least not by the high standards he’s set for himself.

Gone is the lyrical magic he once blessed the mic with (read: 1999). Gone are the amazing stories ("As The World Turns" and "My Fault"). Gone is the insane creativity ("Guilty Conscious" and "Kim"). Gone is the "Oh-my-God-Eminem-has-a-new-album-out-!!!" anticipation from at least one underground MC / college album-reviewer who used to look-up to him for his awesome lyrical wizardry.

Say hello to covering the same tired topics on nearly every track. Say hello to an almost-crappy lead-single, dissing pop-stars with silly lines ("And Moby? You can get stomped by Obie / You 36 year-old bald-headed Stan, blow me"). Say hello to the mediocre Obie Trice instead of the lyrical great Royce Da 5-9. Say hello to an open and unsolicited invite to Eminem-Kim-therapy. Say hello to holding on to the past and dragging fans into frantic emotional tantrums ("Cleaning Out My Closet"). Say hello to the same topics and good-but-used-to-be-better rhyme-style over and over again. Say hello to The Eminem Show.

Don’t get me wrong. Eminem at his worst is still better than most rappers on the Billboard charts today. He's still one of my favorite MCs and this album does have a few good tracks (maybe even a classic or two). The man can still come up with some amazing choruses ("Goodbye To Hollywood" and "Superman"). But this isn't the same Eminem who almost won The Rap Olympics. This isn't the same Eminem who put all those other guest-artists to shame on Missy's first album. This isn't the same Eminem who’s ghost-pen made Dr. Dre sound like the rapper he never was. This isn't the same Eminem who lyrically-murdered all those elites (including Chino XL and even KRS-One) on "The Anthem". This isn't the same Eminem who's voice used to sound like Big Bird. This isn't the same Eminem who “just don’t give a f*ck”. This isn’t the same Eminem who represented for every starving underground rap-artist with a microphone from Detroit to every other city in America. This isn’t the same Eminem.

Where is he???

I’m assuming he’s dead.

Fame and fortune killed him.

My Rating: 3 (of 5)

For more Album Reviews by Marcel Lee, visit www.*************

www.marcellee.com

welll you make some good points. however. 3\5 is in the range of under 6\10 and that is a little too low IMO.
    i think that it is a bit overexaggerated to say he is rapping about the same stuff the whole way through. let me break down the disc listing.
    1. curtains up - intro
    2. white america - politics\record sales
    3. Business - how him and dre are cool\random stuff, just spittin
    4. Cleanin out my closet - his MOM
    5. Square Dance - bit of politics, bit of just spittin
    6. the kiss - skit of when he caught his bitch red handed
    7. soldier - him and kim, reflections about that night.(his life)
    8. Say goodbye hollywood - his lifes reflections(kim hailie etc)
    9. drips - an STD (just tryina give obie free pub)imo
    10. without me - sales,over 8 million eminem shows sold to date
    11. Paul rosenberg - phne convo tellin em to calm down
    12. sing for the moment - kids who idolize rappers
    13. Superman - Trampass groupie type chicks
    14. Hailies SOng - <see title
    15. steve berman - skit finishing off the "saga" or whatever
    16. when the music stops - rap in general, just spittin, puttin d12 out there.
    17. say what you say - addressing beef
    18. till I collapse - his name is rap\ the rap game
    19. my dads gone crazy - just a big fuck you to show you hes not all serious..
    20. outro.

yes the overall theme is whats goin on in his life, but its not like every track is the same........ 1 track to his mom, 2 to kim, 1 to hailie. seems like eminem accomplished alot in this album and he has got some shit off his chest. my main complaint is that its not rugged enuf.
    I cant help my laughter as she cries
    my soul brings tears
    to angelic eyes
    and miles away my mother cries
    omnipotence nurturing malevolence

Comment

I think the review was kinda low but man the points you made were on point about the Eminem that spit with hunger being gone, i mean i can understand him not spitting the same way, artists mature and all but it doesnt mean i have to like it. just listen to the track hellbound and you will see the master at work, i mean to outshine master ase (who came proper on his verse) like he did you have to be one of the illest, but i doubt we will ever see him spit like that again...
      Yo.. Slim Shady!
      Yo.. I'll fuckin.. I'll..
      I'll puke, eat it, and freak you (eww)
      Battle? I'm too weeded to speak to
      The only key that I see to defeat you
      would be for me to remove these two Adidas and beat you
      and force feed you 'em both, and on each feet is a cleat shoe
      I'll lift you off your feet so fast with a roundhouse
      you'll think I pulled the fuckin ground out from underneath you
      (Bitch!) I ain't no fuckin G, I'm a cannibal
      I ain't tryin to shoot you,
      I'm tryin to chop you into pieces and eat you
      Wrap you in rope and plastic, stab you with broken glass
      and have you with open gashes strapped to a soakin mattress
      Coke and acid, black magic, cloaks and daggers (ahhh!)
      Fuck the planet, until it spins on a broken axis
      I'm so bananas I'm showin up to your open casket
      to fill it full of explosive gasses
      and close it back with a lit match in it
      while I sit back and just hope it catches
      Blow you to fragments
      Laugh, roll you and smoke the ashes
      I called d12 to fight the insidious henchmen, this fight music produces bumps and bruises, as the scorpion and rhyno fight kuniva and proof-is, swifty mcveigh slayed mysterio all his allusion, konartist gave the chameleon some minor contusions, then I heard this loud sound at first I thought it was a bomb, “ naw you idiot its just bizarre vs the blob” they went and took the belt from a battle I felt they enjoyed, back to them 8 mile ,where its wild and held it down for Detroit.
      Secret Wars 2 Last Emperor

Comment

^^ ohhh shit i fuckin loved that verse
        my soul brings tears
        to angelic eyes

Comment

Eminem murdered Chino XL ?
          Originally posted by ethan20
          There's a correlation between cervixal cancer in women and un-circumsized penises. Not to mention it almost cuts your bacteria count on the penis in half.
          Originally posted by reservoirGod
          Ethan sure does know alot about dicks

Comment

I see what Marcel means, and that was a good review, but I don't think the album was that bad. Still, Eminem did fall off lyrically, the sentiment expressed in Marcel's review is not unusual. At this party I was at on New Year's Eve, this album was being played and I heard some guy say "If you're gonna play Eminem, can't you play some good Eminem?" My best friend agreed, and so did I but I was so fuckin high I forgot how to talk. He just isn't the same Shady. Nevertheless, there is some good shit on this album. I like "When the Music Stops," which is what they ended up playing to the delight of my baked ass.
            "The world is changing and there are new opportunities for those who are ready to join forces with those who are stronger and more experienced" -Lucky Luciano (1897-1962)

Comment

i said it b4 and ill say it again
              he switched up his style for an album and it hurt some feelings
              my soul brings tears
              to angelic eyes

Comment

hate to keep bringing it up but man i have been listening to alot of em's old stuff and the more i do the more i miss the whole slim shady feel of his flow...
                What a wonderful day; I should go outside and play
                Ain't no need to sit inside the house and hibernate
                Hi Renee! (Oh hi!) I was just about to toss a live grenade
                in your driveway (WHAT?) and drive away (* car peels out *)
                Are you afraid of a blade made of a razor with AIDS
                Blood drippin from it, rippin your stomach like a paper mache
                You talk a lotta shit, but you was never ill though
                I'm sick enough to beat you to death with a feather pillow
                Tipped over some cows, just for a joke and a laugh (MOOOOO!)
                Jumped up, choked a giraffe, snapped his neck and broke it in half
                Wagin wars, went on stage and sprayed Cage with +Agent Orange+
                And wiped my ass with his page in Source (Here!)
                The demon is here, steamin this year
                I rip [*Mystikal's*] voicebox out, scream in his ear (AHHHHHH!)
                It's not a gimmick bitch, it's an image I live it
                Give a fuck? I don't know what a fuck is to give it
                "Yeah I don't think this guy is well.." I'm high as hell
                I'll beat you with a live cat when I'm swinging him by his tail

I'll fuckin, I'll fuckin
                Lay your nuts on the dresser
                Just your nutsack by itself
                And bang them shits with a spiked bat
                Cut your neck off and sew your head right back
                And leave you like that

You just triggered the prick who just mixed liquor
                Who's itchin to leave you disfigured and stiffer than Chris-topher
                Reeves, I was teething with strep throat
                while your mother was breastfeeding
                And gave her the flesh-eating disease
                I'm iller than takin a hammer and beatin your knees
                and walkin through South Central L.A., bleedin in jeans
                (Am I a Blood or a Crip?) Wakin up the next day in breathin machines
                Flashin back to being shot and repeatin the scenes
                on how you just got smoked, and if you do live
                You'll be too scared to tell it, like a Biggie and 'Pac joke
                I called d12 to fight the insidious henchmen, this fight music produces bumps and bruises, as the scorpion and rhyno fight kuniva and proof-is, swifty mcveigh slayed mysterio all his allusion, konartist gave the chameleon some minor contusions, then I heard this loud sound at first I thought it was a bomb, “ naw you idiot its just bizarre vs the blob” they went and took the belt from a battle I felt they enjoyed, back to them 8 mile ,where its wild and held it down for Detroit.
                Secret Wars 2 Last Emperor

Comment

i agree with marcel completely. and yeah, that hellbound verse was one of the best verses he ever did. slim shady was one of the best lyricists i have ever heard, but i don't think we will ever see him again.

Comment

excellent review Marcel, as usual
                    Who would Jesus bomb, yea who would Jesus kill?
                    The double talk is past surreal!

Comment

I agree that the eminem show could be better. I am not hating on em any kind of way. I just want another MMLP or slim shady LP. I would love to see a album that lyrically paralizes all other MC's.

Comment

Originally posted by ill_lyricist
                        drips the worst ever track eminem has ever done on an lp ...
                        I don't know why people don't like that one. I personally think it is one of the best on the album. It's got a good beat, an excellent chorus (probably my favorite Eminem hook), a sick verse by Eminem, a so-so verse by Obie Trice but he could have been wack like he usually is, and an interesting concept.

And I think MMLP was his weakest album, though it had it's moments. Some of the tracks were excellent, but most were mediocre and "The Real Slim Shady" was painful to listen to. MMLP was half wack and half ill, SSLP was pretty much all good, and TES was mostly good-to-lukewarm, with the only standout tracks being "Drips" and "When the Music Stops."
                        Last edited by Lucky Luciano; 05-13-2003, 10:06 PM.
                        "The world is changing and there are new opportunities for those who are ready to join forces with those who are stronger and more experienced" -Lucky Luciano (1897-1962)

Comment

The Eminem Show is his best album...
                          Originally posted by Made N Hell
                          you cant be born with a disease idiot
                          - LMAO wtf? how do people like this even find their way to this message board? 2;-{}2

Comment

just a friendly comment to Lucky Luciano, i would like to know HOW the MMLP is his weakest?. it by far one of his best, its a tough call between the SSLP and MMLP in terms of which is better. but i was just wondering how its his weakest. But i do agree that TES was lukewarm at best.

PEACE
                            D
                            --x--

Comment

I reckon SSLP and ES are on par with eachother, with MMLP being the best.

Slim Shady EP was great, but Slim Shady LP (although funny) seemed way to gimmicky with very little substance in subject matter (excluding a few songs eg. Rock Bottom and If I Had).

MMLP found the perfect balance between Eminem's humour, his serious side (reflecting on his life etc.) and his artistic side (Stan and Kim were two of the most creative concept tracks I've ever heard).

Eminem Show wasn't as good as his previous stuff, and very thematically different, by I kind of appreciate him trying to switch his style every album (even though the results may differ). Cleaning Out My Closet, Sing For A Moment, Til I Collapse provided great lyricism and Without Me and Business were great party anthems (before Without Me got overplayed and boring).

Although I do miss his playful side seen on and previous to SSLP
                              he couldn't go on doing it forever and continue to be seen as a serious artist. You have to be dynamic to survive.
                              OZ HIP HOP.COM
                              THE RAP CELLA

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 09:09 AM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Glenedelstein