Cunninlynguists- SOUTHERNUNDERGROUND review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cunninlynguists- SOUTHERNUNDERGROUND review

Cunninlynguists sophomore offering is nothing less of spectacular. It takes the strengths of there debut Will Rap For Food(2001) and adds more in-depth lyrics and keeps with the excellent beats formula. Also with talent guest Tonedeff, Masta ace, Supastition, and Cashmere the pro, and aside from Domingo, RJD2, and Freshchest Prose the beats are entirely handled by Kno.

The intro is a beat which samples some Spanish singer that makes it really beautiful to listen to, and the beat is dope as well which doesn’t hurt. Next is the Domingo produced track SOUTHERNUNDERGROUND which has all three emcees kicking dope battle rhymes about being iller than you and banging David blanes wife J, it also has a nice vocal sample in the background and “oral illustrations be like cliterous stimulations”.

The south the third track on the album features deacon and sos trading verses about the purdy girlies south of the mason dixion line. Kno produced the beat and its hot with a dope scratches hook that’s how we do it in the south! “only place where shorties can go to the beach with 4 double ds like good jesus let me rub some lotion into you cleveage ” hmmm maybe ill visit florida with a tub of Vaseline and sunscreenJ. Next is the first track about love which is titled simply love aint feat. Tonedeff, Kno handled this beat and it features nice old school samples, tone spits more hot shit like usual and Kno and Deacon also shine so I say its shared equally through out the track.

Next is the SOS solo track RAIN which features a very dope hook and beat with rain dropping in the background its hauntingly beautiful and the fact it’s a true story is more shocking, and the beat is nice with nice variances also produced by KNO “I never understand how a woman can say she loves a man and turn around and have sex with another man id would of much rather be robbed for a hundred grand then get interrupted that shes touching hands with another man, oh god another man I cant even cry my tears been dry, that’s why its thundering hard out tonight, and its dark and its cold, cause the angels can hear my cry and its all in my soul, all of them know, ive never felt this pain in the past, its ironic the first place we made love is the same as the last, in the shower that why I put the rain with the name, and my power to trust someone again is faded away, other girls want tell them it looks like rain today, and wallow in my sorrow, smoke and watch the tapes that we made, and one of them tapes is the day I got played, that gave in and caved, the day I almost gave up everything I gained, its crazy how you can have your life arranged, and the day you get engaged and you notice she starts acting strange like everything changed and suddenly its on tape and you crumble, cause you notice she doesn’t kiss you she just fucks you, that’s when you heart starts feels the pain, so much you can feel it in your veins, and YOU CANT FORGET HER NAME, THAT’S WHEN YOU LITERALLY GO INSANE, AND YOU FEEL LIKE YOU SO SAD YOU MAKE IT RAIN THEN THE SONG PLAYS…” POWERFUL, and bone chilling.
    After this is the mellow track Doin’ Alright which features a somber beat by KNO and has SOS and Deacon spitting about accepting what comes and not worrying about what can happen just live yours to the fullest, plus Deac’s verse is about the twin towers groovy.

Next is an interlude which I assume features the same Spanish singer and another good beat by KNO. Next is the holy grail of the LP OLD SCHOOL which in the fasion of thugged out since cubscouts features a excellent beat and sarcastic verse by all the linguists KNO, Deacon, and SOS all spit about how their old school, and basically shows how ridiculious saying your old school is, if your 15 you cant help it so everyone shut tha fuck UP! “Im so old school I was at the last supper serving soul food, and roast some puyo but I bet you had no clue”, “told jesus that GZA said sandals were femine so we copped some shell toes and suede timberlands”, “shooting bullets at a scoundrels while he was c walking” funny shit.

The first single Seasons marks Masta ace and RJD2s appearance and has all the emcees spitting about the seasons of hiphop(eras) and RJ brought a really beautiful beat, definite dopeness. Next is an ode to the underground “Nasty Fithly” has appearances from supastition and cashmere, as well as SOS and deacon, quite funny shit, and has another dope KNO beat and a great hook, just cause we underground don’t mean our shit aint dope, but we still broke, and after this has a hilarious skit by Tonedeff in the fasion of pause(see [email protected] HFYS), and is funny shit about gridlock traffic and wack radio, baha man…lol.

Next is the track fallin’ down which is like three separate songs about each emcees nervous break down, and is really dope with three separate kno beats, and is truly a nice concept that comes together nicely. “Verzion fucked up my service so they aint out of the woods, can you hear me now beotch good.” And ends with a good twist. After this is Sunrise- Sunset deacon solo track produced by freshchest prose, and is a nice beat and has deacon spitting about life’s morality the yin and yang, good shit.

Next is the second interlude which feature yet again the same Spanish singer sample and another dope KNO beat. Following this track is the Apprecation Remix, which has a somewhat sappy depressing beat, and features cashmere and deacon spit very depressing verses but all in all is very nice, and is in the same mentality as Doin’ Alright except a little more depressing.

The last verbal track is a political track Dying nation has a bush sample which proves why were our country sucks, and has SOS, KNO, and Deacon spitting verses about our nation and the shit that runs it, and out hypocritical views, we are all being watched and the fact that they look the other way when money is involved. The hook is a nice sample, and each emcee shines on this track but im feeling KNO’s verse the most, and it may just be me he has a Del type flow. The actual last track is an instrumental by KNO entitled War and is excellent way to end the album with nice scratches.

The album in a whole is excellent not quite classic tho it does suffer from some lack of originality only cause it takes older concepts but it’s a definite step up from will rap for food, I salute cunninlynguists.

Beat- 5/5
    Lyrics- 4.5/5
    Originality- 4/5
    Total- 4.5/5

Enhanced Cd Review

Lyrics- it features all the lyrics from the album which is a dope, and defiantly appreciated
    Biography- Features a good amount of detail about their background but isn’t that in-depth but dah well what do you want most rap fans don’t read anyways.
    Videos- Best section of any QN5 enhanced protion

Kno’s Album Commentary- Self-explanatory 5/5
    Randomizer- Very funny, features Deacon, and SOS freestyles, and where else are you going to hear how stupid Ice- T actually is 5/5
    Cunninlynguists “Thugged out since cubscouts live in SC”- Dope performance of a classic, and don’t mess with KNO’s gangster bitches 5/5
    SOS- Can’t Help Myself- A definte treat an exclusive SOS track produced by tonedeff after hearing and seeing the performance Im fiending for this in mp3 5/5
    http://media.ign.com/games/image/fable_040804_160.jpg

dope review,
    wen is tone droppin a new album?

Comment

soon...I hope. Was supposed to come out jan 03 but I guess it wasn't released then, if it was I have a lot of catching up to do.

"And no matter how hard it gets, no one truly prefers death...
      and if the hurt ends, you're sure blessed...
      ....remember the determination of your first step"

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by Rince1985, Today, 02:32 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post Rince1985  
      Started by edenreagan, Today, 01:54 AM