My Opinion On Little Brother- The Listening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Opinion On Little Brother- The Listening

I heard a lot of talk about this trio from North Carolina in 2002, but i didn't pay much attention. However, the level of respect that they were receiving from sites like hiphopsite.com, and even the source (who gave them 4 mics; the source has a history of shitting on indie releases) finally convinced me to check this album out...

Listening to this album, i thought i was listening to a Native Tongues album. They captured that steez that you would notice in De La Soul, ATCQ, and even Slum Village. The beats (provided by 9th Wonder) and the lyrics provided by emcee's, Big Pooh and Phonte, all have that vintage Native Tongues feel (and not a cheap imatation). They hit topics that range from attacking coffee house rappers ("the yo yo"), groupies ("groupie pt. 2"), people's view on what is "good rap" ("the listening"), a remake of the "scenario remix" ("love joint revisted"), being separated from family ("away from me"), and kicking and reworking some old school verses ("so fabulous")...

In 9th Wonder's beats you can hear the influence that cats like pete rock and even rza to some extent has had. The harmonizing vocals on this album are also a very soothing relief in a rap game that is based on so much glorified violence (don't get me wrong, i listen to all that violent rap, but albums like this should also be in your circulation)...

favorite tracks: groupie pt.2, for you, speed, whatever you say, the yo-yo, shorty on the lookout, love joint revisted, so fabulous, the way you do it, the getup, away from me, nobody but you, home, nighttime maneuvers, and the listening...

the only thing i didn't like was the skits...

the only other strike i would have towards this group is that some of their lyrics seem a little dated, but they still managed to craft a dope album, beat wise, and concept wise...i give this album a 4/5...

i would say that this was one of the best releases from 2003 (along with Murs), but on the back of the album it says that it was released in 2002 (i heard elsewhere that it was released in 2003)...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tone Riggz; 04-18-2003, 09:36 AM.

I agree with you the skits kill the album and make it hard to listen to, but its a defite 4

so far its

1. Cunninlynguists- SOUTHERNUNDERGROUND
    2. Murs- The End Of The Beginning
    3. Little Brother- The Listening
    http://media.ign.com/games/image/fable_040804_160.jpg

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by Deborahlanker, 10-14-2020, 10:23 AM