Style Wars DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Style Wars DVD

I always knew about style wars, but because i could never find the tape i've never seen it. But now since it dropped on DVD, it is available to anybody with a DVD player. This movie has been given praise by many legendary graff writers (many of which appeared in the film) and was also praised by KRS-One and If anybody is familar with the Black Star song, "respiration," they got the intro from this movie. This is a documentary film put together by Tony Silver and Henry Chalfant, and it details the culture of graffiti (otherwise referred to as one of Hip Hop's four elements). It was shot in NYC in 1982, and i believe it first appeared on PBS. It was the first major introduction of graffiti to mainstream society. The documentary takes a look at the legal side of writing graffiti, the perspective of the writers, beefs, styles, the other elements of hip hop as well as tours through stations (especially 149th)...I haven't fully seen the documentary yet, but so far it's good...

that was the first disc...the second disc has a whole slew of interviews from cats like Iz the Wiz, Revolt, Seen UA, Blade, Dez (aka DJ Kay Slay), Min, as well as archives of their pieces. There are also tributes to Dondi and Shy 147 as well as guest interviews from Guru, DJ Red Alert, Fab 5 Freddy and a few others...El P, RJD2, and Aesop Rock (among others) also provide the background music for many of these segments (the movie's musical score has songs from the treacherous three, the fearless four, Grandmaster Flash, etc.)...

i give this DVD a 4.5/5...My only strike is that the movie's quality could've been better (or maybe that was their intention)...Definite movie to own for anybody that does graffiti, or anybody that wants to see a good film on an underrated element of Hip Hop...
    Attached Files

Here's another Tone PC Cam "masterpiece;" Dez aka DJ Kay Slay...i've seen a Kay Slay piece at the NYC Hall of Fame; he's ill when it comes to writing...but what is funny is how Kay Slay talks all that grimey shit and talks about slapping other DJs now when, he was a skinny, shy cat with a lisp back in those days...
    Attached Files

Comment

well, the documentary was dope...it could've been more in depth, but nonetheless it's a good view into the way graffiti used to be; bombing in subway yards, tunnels and so forth...tony tries to show the views of both sides of the graffiti debate; he talks to cops, and then NYC mayor, ed koch...in the movie as i stated, you'll see cats who are legendary now, back when they were younger like, Mare, Duro, Dondi, Seen UA, Skeme, Min, etc...

the documentary also draws some focus onto breakdancing, and in the movie you'll see the rocksteady crew back when they were teens...cats like crazy legs, frosty freeze, ken swift, etc...

again, if you're into graffiti or Hip Hop, this is a good DVD to own...
      '

Comment

good looking out .. i might check it if i see it around.
        Phenom

Comment

tight post Tone, i'll also have to check this out
          My lyrics are blueprints to money makin' - Tupac

Comment

damn, it's out on dvd? I gotta check this out
            nice post Tone

"And no matter how hard it gets, no one truly prefers death...
            and if the hurt ends, you're sure blessed...
            ....remember the determination of your first step"

Comment

one of the greastest films ever point period, i saw this shit when i was like 10 (my brother was a graffati artists/still is) so i grew up with this shit... if you wanna learn about true hip hop and the element of graffati cop this dvd, nice post dude
              I called d12 to fight the insidious henchmen, this fight music produces bumps and bruises, as the scorpion and rhyno fight kuniva and proof-is, swifty mcveigh slayed mysterio all his allusion, konartist gave the chameleon some minor contusions, then I heard this loud sound at first I thought it was a bomb, “ naw you idiot its just bizarre vs the blob” they went and took the belt from a battle I felt they enjoyed, back to them 8 mile ,where its wild and held it down for Detroit.
              Secret Wars 2 Last Emperor

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by hunnymin, Today, 12:12 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post hunnymin  
              Started by Deborahlanker, 05-08-2021, 10:03 AM