HIP HOP LIFESTYLE

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will there be another mainstream hip-hop movement as strong as Dipset again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will there be another mainstream hip-hop movement as strong as Dipset again?

I am by no means the biggest Dipset fan but Dipset had something that will probably never be seen again in a popular hip-hop movement both a group of individually successful rappers as well as a distinctive sound. ie. The particular Chipmunk soul sound that they made their own.

There have been rappers coming up lately with distinctive sounds in the mainstream like Drake with his light pad synthesizer and heavy bass courtesy of 40, Wale and BKS' go-go drums or even Jeezy's epic synthesizers with Shawty Lo but as far as a movement from a group of rappers at a mainstream level, nope not happening.

The only group that could even have the ability to achieve this at any kind of mainstream level would be Young Money, what with them having Weezy, Drake and Nicki all achieving massive amounts of exposure but instead when they do make music it's all cheap synthesizer beats.

Dipset where by no means the first to do this either, i mean there have been heaps of movements of this type whether it be The Souliquarians, or Death Row, No Limit, Bad Boy, Roc A Fella, Dungeon Family, Wu-Tang or Cash Money records.

I'm starting to feel that the time for these big group movements, at a mainstream level, is over for hip-hop which is kind of sad. And with the Death of Def Jux it seems like even as a underground phenomenon it is dying.
    I ran like a cheetah with thoughts of an assassin

hIP hOP iS dEAD

Comment

Killa Cam for the win
      "You gotta crush on your teacher, brah? Keep it outta my hallway"
      - Eric Theodore Cartman

Comment

Don't really care. Usually the music these kind of groups put out sucks.

Def Jux

Comment

Dipset were a strong hip hop movement ?

Comment

Originally posted by dreftsnoop View Post
            will there be another mainstream hip-hop movement as strong as dipset again?

Originally posted by dreftsnoop View Post
            will there be another mainstream hip-hop movement as strong as dipset again?
            LISTEN TO AND DOWNLOAD MY NEW EP ENTITLED "ĘP" at http://composed.bandcamp.com/ FOR FREE!

SUPPORT INDEPENDENT MUSIC!

Comment

I loved that song, dipset anthem
              Whoever repped me props, thats a goood site.
              Last edited by The Happy Chemical; 02-05-2010, 12:28 PM.

Comment

The Texas movement was pretty huge a couple years ago, everyone supporting each other. Although most of the music was crappy, it was still a strong sign of unity.

I think these movements aren't really a good thing though, that way you get plenty of artists whose music kinda sounds alike, I prefer the individuality in each musicians style and sound.

Guaranteed Tone will come here and blab about "Hipster Rap" and name KiD CuDi.
                TECH N9NE

Comment

Comment

It's hard enough for solo artists to have some staying power nowadays let alone groups. It seems listeners have become disconnected with mainstream artists over the years, rather than developing a long standing appreciation for an artist they tend to just want something new and 'fresh' every month...hence the radio being ruled by ring tone rap and rappers that seem to fade away after a hit or two. Of course there are a few exceptions to that, but I don't really see a group having group and solo success like a g-unit, wu tang or dipset. Funny how I never fucked with Dipset but nowadays I'd much rather hear their shit on the radio than all these Wacka flakas and Gucci Lames =X

Comment

Originally posted by Nitz View Post
                      Dipset were a strong hip hop movement ?

Comment

Note to self: Never try to start an intelligent discussion on this board.

Look. You can revise the past as much as you want but Dipset were massive, they made the Chipmunk sound that dominated hip-hop in the mid 2000's as big as it was. Had MANY hits. Cam'Ron, Jim Jones and Juelz Santana were some of the bigger rappers around AND Cam'Ron started the style of free lyricism that Lil Wayne, Kanye, Drake types have made so popular so don't act like Dipset were nothing. And you're ignoring the point of the thread.

And Core, wtf. Look at the list of these types of movements: Did Native Tongues, Soulaquarians, Dungeon Family, Wu-Tang ect. Make bad music? Jesus Christ.

It's debatable weather Dipset made good music, BUT they did make a major impact on hip-hop as a group with a obvious SOUND to their music, and honestly I want to see more artists with the ambition to come through in this same way because to me the results are often Good.

I mean without these movements would we have gotten such outstanding material from Kanye, Just Blaze, RZA, HeatMakers, Mannie Fresh.. ect.? I don't think so.
                        Last edited by dreftsnoop; 02-05-2010, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by doping View Post
                          the texas movement was pretty huge a couple years ago, everyone supporting each other. Although most of the music was crappy, it was still a strong sign of unity
                          ^^ gets it ^^

Comment

hmmm what about the Detroit movement ? You don't really have such a strong unity but many artists from Detroit often collaborate with eachother. Right now you got Elzhi, Black Milk, Guilty Simpson, Marv Von, Royce Da 5'9'', Tricc Tricc, D12, Fat Ray etc... This just involves the underground tho, there aren't any big mainstream movements now .. except maybe Young Money but to be honest only Drake will be able to sell, and maaaybe Nicki Minaj. All those other guys are gonna flop...

And you seem to have forgotten the Shady/Aftermath/G-Unit movement that was huge, like it or not, but only lasted approximately 4 years .. now G-Unit is pretty much dead, and Aftermath and Shady dropped a whole bunch of artists ...
                            Last edited by Nitz; 02-05-2010, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Dipset.
                              download the newest Helmz mixtape...
                              http://www.datpiff.com/Helmz_Benefit...l.m182731.html

tweet @ewhitsHelmz

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Nancystarkman, Today, 11:19 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Nancystarkman