HIP HOP LIFESTYLE

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you listen to undeground hip-hop, do you consider yourself cooler...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • If you listen to undeground hip-hop, do you consider yourself cooler...

    ...than someone who listens to mainstream hip-hop only.

    I for one don't listen to hardly any underground hip hop such as 'Cypher Deluxe Star Master 8' and 'Eclectic Fire Catcher Zero' etc. etc.

    I listen to Eminem, Jay-Z, Nas, Mobb Deep, Pac, Biggie, 50 Cent, DMX, Dre, Bone Thugs, Jadakiss etc.

    When I see people having conversations on messageboards etc. the way it seems to appear to me is that some people think they have a better taste in music if they are into underground hip hop as well as mainstream and as I stated in my first question do indeed believe that it makes them feel/look cool.

    I understand that there is a lot of underground hip-hop out there and some people if not most just like a wide variety of music however it does piss me off when someone is looked down on because they don't know for example the next underground MC from Iran 'Wizard Star Flash Master Extreme Turbo 3.8'

    I'm not trying to start any beef, I'm just genuinely interested in peoples opinions on this.

    (readsmili

  • #2
    First of all, I'd like to say, nice thread

    I listen to a fair bit of mainstream rap, and I think its pretty fair to say that certain mainstream rappers such as Eminem, Nas and Jay-Z (at least in my opinion) are just as talented than those circulating the underground at present.

    Still, as of lately, I have been listening to more and more underground hip hop.
    This is mainly because, despite hip hop's popularity at the moment, there is a definate lack of talent available through major labels.
    I'd run out of mainstream artists to discover, and be astonished by... so I moved into the unkown.

    However, I do not (or at least don't conciously) look down on people who only appreciate the mainstream side of hip hop (...that's unless, of course, I consider it to be bad mainstream hip hop).

    There is nothing more laughable than arrogant 15 year olds, coming onto a mainstream rap fansite to belittle others with their underground hip hop "knowledge"... most of which was only picked up in January when hiphopdx.com, and hiphopsite.com published their "Best Of 2003" lists.

    I will be the first to admit that the little knowledge I have of the US underground hip hop scene is gained from the few resourses available to me on the net.
    I will never be ahead of the crowd when it comes to US Hip Hop.
    I will only ever be able to jump on the bandwagon of an already established underground success.

    I didn't know who Immortal Technique was until he made hiphopsite.com's "Best Of" list.
    I ignored "Sin-A-Matic" until it became a critics favourite at the end of 2003.
    Really, the only underground releases I paid attention to upon their release in 2003 were Canibus, Jedi Mind Tricks and Atmosphere (and that's only because they were already established underground favourites).

    I don't have my ear to the streets (I live on the other side of the world for Christ's sake).
    I am not a hip hop guru.
    I merely read, listen to and enjoy what it is possible for me to read, listen to and enjoy.
    And I don't pretend like I discovered it... or that I am superior to, or ahead the crowd... or that I didn't only discover it myself a couple of months ago.

    So no, I don't consider myself cooler.
    To tell the truth, I often feel "uncool" for listening to underground rappers... afterall, the last person I ever want to be mistaken for is one of those bandwagon-jumping, hip-hop snobs who acts like they discovered every underground artist, and hence has the right to patronise anyone who chooses not to listen to them.
    Last edited by Rondell*Beene; 03-29-2004, 06:52 AM.
    OZ HIP HOP.COM
    THE RAP CELLA

    Comment


    • #3
      I completely agree with this: the only underground guys I listen to are necro, cage, chino xl and canibus.
      Why would those uderground guys be better just because an everyday listener of Hip hop or other kinds of music don't know them.

      Comment


      • #4
        musics wack its wack, doenst matter on mainstream or underground
        http://media.ign.com/games/image/fable_040804_160.jpg

        Comment


        • #5
          I think theres a big difference between mainstream and underground hip hop. mainstream tends to be more of the poppy sensation, so the pop culture can appreciate it aswell as normal hip hop fans. but underground seems to be more dominant on the what the roots of hip hop used to be. I personnaly dont listen much of mainstream music other than eminem, d12 and dre. i prefer the underground, cos in my opinion they have better lyrics and proper beats.
          I could give a fuck about ya secrets and ya past words
          I can pass words with the ability to hurt you
          Patience is a virtue and knowledge is a commercial
          - vinnie paz (Ikon) JMT

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Rondell*Beene
            First of all, I'd like to say, nice thread

            I listen to a fair bit of mainstream rap, and I think its pretty fair to say that certain mainstream rappers such as Eminem, Nas and Jay-Z (at least in my opinion) are just as talented than those circulating the underground at present.

            Still, as of lately, I have been listening to more and more underground hip hop.
            This is mainly because, despite hip hop's popularity at the moment, there is a definate lack of talent available through major labels.
            I'd run out of mainstream artists to discover, and be astonished by... so I moved into the unkown.

            However, I do not (or at least don't conciously) look down on people who only appreciate the mainstream side of hip hop (...that's unless, of course, I consider it to be bad mainstream hip hop).

            There is nothing more laughable than arrogant 15 year olds, coming onto a mainstream rap fansite to belittle others with their underground hip hop "knowledge"... most of which was only picked up in January when hiphopdx.com, and hiphopsite.com published their "Best Of 2003" lists.

            I will be the first to admit that the little knowledge I have of the US underground hip hop scene is gained from the few resourses available to me on the net.
            I will never be ahead of the crowd when it comes to US Hip Hop.
            I will only ever be able to jump on the bandwagon of an already established underground success.

            I didn't know who Immortal Technique was until he made hiphopsite.com's "Best Of" list.
            I ignored "Sin-A-Matic" until it became a critics favourite at the end of 2003.
            Really, the only underground releases I paid attention to upon their release in 2003 were Canibus, Jedi Mind Tricks and Atmosphere (and that's only because they were already established underground favourites).

            I don't have my ear to the streets (I live on the other side of the world for Christ's sake).
            I am not a hip hop guru.
            I merely read, listen to and enjoy what it is possible for me to read, listen to and enjoy.
            And I don't pretend like I discovered it... or that I am superior to, or ahead the crowd... or that I didn't only discover it myself a couple of months ago.

            So no, I don't consider myself cooler.
            To tell the truth, I often feel "uncool" for listening to underground rappers... afterall, the last person I ever want to be mistaken for is one of those bandwagon-jumping, hip-hop snobs who acts like they discovered every underground artist, and hence has the right to patronise anyone who chooses not to listen to them.
            Good response Rondell. You made some good points and I think you hit the nail on the head when you said...

            "There is nothing more laughable than arrogant 15 year olds, coming onto a mainstream rap fansite to belittle others with their underground hip hop "knowledge"... most of which was only picked up in January when hiphopdx.com, and hiphopsite.com published their "Best Of 2003" lists."


            Obviously there is nothing wrong in finding out about new artists through these channels but there are certain people who say for example see a review of an Immortal Technique album, download it and then 15 minutes later start to preach about how they know so much more about music than you. Like you say though, there are people like yourself who simply like to explore the genre more which is a good thing.

            Comment


            • #7
              I think underground is better than most of the mainstream rap.
              Although I do listen to artists like Dr. Dre, 50 Cent, Eminem, D-12 etc.
              But I mean Bugz-Bring It To You is way better than Eminem's without me.
              And I think underground is cooler because it isn't commercial.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mr. Paolo
                I think underground is better than most of the mainstream rap.
                Although I do listen to artists like Dr. Dre, 50 Cent, Eminem, D-12 etc.
                But I mean Bugz-Bring It To You is way better than Eminem's without me.
                And I think underground is cooler because it isn't commercial.
                Not being commercial is cool?

                Also thats a strange comparison there fella. You just picked 2 random songs and said one is better than the other and you managed to make no point at all.

                It's like me saying mainstream is better than underground because D12 - American Physco is better than Dead Prez - Hell Yeah :S

                Comment


                • #9
                  Nah it was just an example, there are loads of underground songs that are better.
                  I didn't really mean ''not being commercial'' is cool.
                  But I think you might enjoy underground songs longer, since they don't receive airplay and all that type of stuff.
                  And I guess we both have a different opinion..

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    the thing with underground, to me is that it is more pure, because whether anyone likes to admit it or not, mainstream artists aren't the only ones involved with their albums, there are people in marketing and sales and higher up that want it to sound this or that way. Just check Puffs involvement with the making of ready to die (this month's XXL) for a hint of what I mean. I'm not sayin that's right or wrong, because it's not for me to pass judgement. But with underground the artists are generally less concerned with whats going to sell, and more concerned with expressing themselves in an artistic way. This doesn't always result in music you'd wanna pound in a club, let alone listen to, but generally underground artists just seem a little more free to have fun.
                    At the same time, tons of main stream artists do pour more of themselves in their music, and being signed allows them to do so on a much larger scale. I would have to say it depends on the artist, and not the current state of their career that gets me to listen. To me, 50 Cent was 1000 times better when he was a little younger, a little more hungry and didn't have his money/benz/bitches to rap about all the time. However, somebody say like, I dunno, say... Wu-Tang, they continued to grow and exploit the opportunities they were given to do their own thing and take it to the next level with their creativity.
                    I guess at the end of the day it boils down to who would you rather listen to more, somebody who's currently attempting to 'make it' in the music biz or somebody who already has.
                    See how it doesn't make sense to compare 'em? How would that matter. It's just what an artist does with their current place on the 'food chain' that compels you to listen.
                    If that makes sense, cool, if not, I really meant it to and I apologize for failing

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      i listen to both mainstream(comercial) and underground! def jam and shadyrecords from the mainstream.. and the rest underground.. suck as rasco, copywrite, Non Phixion, L.E.G.A.C.Y, also a lot of romanian underground. Basically underground is better.. u can't compare underground, where people sing for the love of it, and mainstream where rap is a money-making industry..few rapers dont rap for money, like eminem.in UG people rap bout the struggle that goes on, the life, not the bling bling and cars these comercial rapers have...
                      underground rulez
                      peace

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Justin Kinch
                        the thing with underground, to me is that it is more pure, because whether anyone likes to admit it or not, mainstream artists aren't the only ones involved with their albums, there are people in marketing and sales and higher up that want it to sound this or that way. Just check Puffs involvement with the making of ready to die (this month's XXL) for a hint of what I mean. I'm not sayin that's right or wrong, because it's not for me to pass judgement. But with underground the artists are generally less concerned with whats going to sell, and more concerned with expressing themselves in an artistic way. This doesn't always result in music you'd wanna pound in a club, let alone listen to, but generally underground artists just seem a little more free to have fun.
                        At the same time, tons of main stream artists do pour more of themselves in their music, and being signed allows them to do so on a much larger scale. I would have to say it depends on the artist, and not the current state of their career that gets me to listen. To me, 50 Cent was 1000 times better when he was a little younger, a little more hungry and didn't have his money/benz/bitches to rap about all the time. However, somebody say like, I dunno, say... Wu-Tang, they continued to grow and exploit the opportunities they were given to do their own thing and take it to the next level with their creativity.
                        I guess at the end of the day it boils down to who would you rather listen to more, somebody who's currently attempting to 'make it' in the music biz or somebody who already has.
                        See how it doesn't make sense to compare 'em? How would that matter. It's just what an artist does with their current place on the 'food chain' that compels you to listen.
                        If that makes sense, cool, if not, I really meant it to and I apologize for failing
                        Great answer

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Most of what I have to say has been said already by Rondell, D-Burna and Justin Kinch.

                          A real annoyance is underground heads who consider themselves above fans of mainstream rap, who consider their tastes as "real" hip-hop and everything else as "fake" or "sell-out". It's just stupid close-mindedness, as they shut themselves off from some good mainstream music.

                          There is good mainstream rap, there is bad mainstream rap.
                          There is good underground rap, there is bad underground rap.

                          What people perceive to be the proportions of hip-hop in each these categories is down to subjective tastes. It's silly to generalise it all by saying "all mainstream hip-hop is sell-out bling-bling trash," just as it's silly to generalise by saying "all underground hip-hop is wack backpacking nerd rap."

                          So basically; if you happen to like the underground side of hip-hop music..good for you. Just don't think it makes you cooler than anyone else.
                          If your life is easy, you're doing something wrong.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'll listen to whatever is good. I don't care if its mainstream or underground

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Cool thread, I think people seem to feel this is true, I've personally seen so much of this over the years, message boards and chat rooms that would support this. However i think its a very narrow perspective of things (I'm better/cooler/know more than u because I follow this and that). I myself dont really pay attention to the underground scene, However I'm starting to a little more...

                              Originally posted by Rondell*Beene
                              Still, as of lately, I have been listening to more and more underground hip hop.
                              This is mainly because, despite hip hop's popularity at the moment, there is a definate lack of talent available through major labels.
                              I'd run out of mainstream artists to discover, and be astonished by... so I moved into the unkown.
                              For that exact reason^

                              Comment

                              Post ad widget 300x250

                              Collapse

                              LATEST POSTS

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Deborahlanker, 01-04-2021, 12:08 PM
                              1 response
                              2 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Bynarden  
                              Started by Deborahlanker, Yesterday, 08:40 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Deborahlanker  
                              Started by Heridan, 04-08-2020, 08:20 AM
                              3 responses
                              66 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Friese
                              by Friese
                               
                              Started by AleksShamles, Yesterday, 12:46 AM
                              1 response
                              2 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Zavylon
                              by Zavylon
                               
                              Started by RochelleSmiley, 01-21-2021, 10:12 PM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post RochelleSmiley  
                              Started by FrankCobalt, 12-03-2020, 05:24 PM
                              4 responses
                              12 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Angustin  
                              Started by basketballeven, 12-23-2020, 11:39 PM
                              1 response
                              5 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post lindsey0120  
                              Started by Deborahlanker, 01-21-2021, 03:22 AM
                              0 responses
                              2 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Deborahlanker  
                              Started by Deborahlanker, 01-21-2021, 02:56 AM
                              0 responses
                              4 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Deborahlanker  
                              Started by Deborahlanker, 01-20-2021, 08:16 AM
                              0 responses
                              2 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Deborahlanker  
                              Working...
                              X