My Review Of D12's "D12 World"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Review Of D12's "D12 World"

Itís been three years since Devilís Night, an album that everybody on this site has heard at least once. Some felt disappointed by that album, while the majority of the posters will tell you that they liked it. I myself thought it was worthy of an 85% rating. D12 have high expectations to live up to with their sophomore release, D12 World. They really donít out do themselves at all; youíll see why (or what I think is why) in this review.

Git Up Ė Eminem kicks things off with a rapidly spit verse about how much of a gangster he is. 50 Cent has worn out this image, and Eminemís lyrics donít do much for me. However, this is a case where itís not what you say, itís how you say it. His flow is definitely praise worthy, and some what astonishing. After an overly energetic chorus that features Eminem trying to sound like Young Wun, Swift (who I think is the worst member of D12) comes in and continues to boast about his arsenal and such. Itís what Iíve come to expect from him, and itís not bad. The same can be said for Kunivaís verse, although his voice, flow, and rhyme style make it much better than Swiftsí. The beat isnít much, but the three highly energetic rappers (at least on this track they are) make it worth the listen.

Loyalty Ė The first thing I noticed about this song was that I really liked the beat. Itís not Primo, and I probably like it more than I should, but itís still stuck in my head. Swift bores me with his verse thatís all over the place as far as topic. Kon Artis supplies the hook, and I like it. Bizarre does the next verse, and itís nothing special, to tell the truth. He does end it off with a hilarious line about urination, but I probably think itís funny because Iím immature. Obie Trice grabs the mic next; his flow, rhyme pattern, and deliverance are great, but nothing jumps out at you lyrically. Sound familiar? Finally, Proof does his first verse on the album and kills it. Sure, itís fake-gangster stuff but his sense of humor and knack for punch lines make me really like it. The last verse is Kon Artis and Kuniva going back and forth; alone Kon doesnít do much for me normally, but when he raps like this with Kuniva it always bears favorable results.

Just Like U Ė This song has a ridiculous Hi-Tek beat; its one of my favorites from the album. So, why did they give it to Bizarre to do his solo track? He does his typical ďBizarre is weirdĒ type verse, except twice and longer than usual. Some lines are even censored because he refers to small children. I think itís funny, but I could definitely understand why people would hate this song.

Iíll Be Damned Ė Proofís ďDJ Seven DeuceĒ alias opens up the track, and distracts the listener from the incredibly mediocre beat. Kon Artis starts off with a verse thatís bad. I used to really like him, but heís developing an inverse relationship between his production skills and his mic skills. On the other hand, I really like his hook on this song. Next up, Swift raps about the same subject matter Snoop Dogg made a whole album out of back in í94. Bizarreís verse isnít as funny as usual, but itís alright. Kuniva drops a story-telling verse thatís really good in my opinion. Still, this song is more bad than it is good.

My Band Ė The first ten times I heard this song (itís quite popular in N.C.), I abhorred it. But, recently, it grew on me. Eminemís verse is horrible. I donít care if heís being funny, he can do it much better than this. On the other hand, the beat is pretty good; itís not great, though. Itís a reincarnation of Without Me, if you will. The song starts getting good on Swiftís surprisingly strong verse. Then Kon and Kuniva do their tag-team style that I really like, and the results are both hilarious and nice. After a silly sing-along chorus, Proof gets the mic and does the best verse on the song. He raps faster than usual, and shows his versatility as an MC. Bizarre comes in next with his best verse on the album. Itís great. Really. Following this, Eminem does some silly singing that goes on a little bit too long, one final go at the chorus, then he performs his rendition of a salsa song. Being of Mexican descent, my parents got all hot and bothered by this part of the song. I think itís all in good fun, and I like it.

U R The One Ė Judging by the amount of misspellings on the title of this track, I knew it would be bad without even hearing it. I was definitely correct; this song is horrible. The beat is annoying, as is the chorus. The verses are D12 trying to be G-Unit on ďWanna Get To Know U.Ē I guess they succeeded, because U R The One is certainly just as bad.

6 In The Morning Ė I know some people are seething with rage at this track being included on the album; I would just like to take a moment to remind those people that the song was leaked illegally, and if you downloaded it then, then itís your own fault that the song seems old. Ok, back to my critique. The beat is pretty weird; I was surprised that Eminem could make a production that doesnít sound like any other that heís made before. Itís pretty good, to tell the truth. His verse is nothing special, but I like the chorus. Swiftís verse is bad, as is Denaunís. Kunivaís is great once again. This song is like a boring version of Git Up.

How Come Ė I have no way of proving my suspicions, but Iím 90% sure that this song is addressing the Royce Da 5í9Ē situation between him and D12. The beat is dark; it sounds like it was made for battle rap, but this is one of the more sentimental tracks on the album. Eminem, Kon Artis, and Proof supply the verses, and they all do good jobs. Eminemís hook isnít sung greatly, but itís catchy and it conveys the emotions that theyíre feeling well.

Leave That Boy Alone Ė Red Spydaís beat on this song is great. The percussion is weird, it sounds like someone snapping their fingers. I was really enjoying it until Eminem came in and fucked the song up with his fake Southern accent. In true Chingy style, he pronounces ďdareĒ as ďdurr.Ē Itís extremely annoying, and pretty stupid. Swift and Kon Artis both do good verses, but they get greatly outshined by Kuniva. Now that I think of it, these three rappers are on the album more than the rest of D12. With Kuniva, thatís a good thing, but Iím getting pretty tired of the other two. Eminem ends the song with more babble in his southern drawl, then 50 Cent says something that I really canít understand because he hasnít mastered the art of opening his mouth to speak. Why is 50 on here anyway? He just speaks for 10 seconds; he doesnít rap or anything. Itís really random.

Get My Gun Ė This song is the most energetic performance Iíve heard from D12 in a long time. Swift spits his verse in a fast pace, and uses a different flow that I enjoy; he should definitely use it more often. Eminem provides the hook thatís respectable; itís even better because his voice makes him sound like heís feeling crazy enough to actually shoot somebody. Kunivaís verse is alright, but not as good as his past ones; he even uses the played out ďmissing like Shaqís free throwsĒ punchline. Proof goes next and rips it appropriately. The song then goes into a quick skit thatís pretty pointless but it leads into Eminemís verse perfectly. Eminemís verse is about as crazed as he gets nowadays; I think itís great, but lots of his fans who want him to transform back into Slim Shady will probably be disappointed. Kon Artis pulls a Swift and drops a surprisingly good verse. The final verse is handled by Bizarre; he does a good job and ends it with a hilarious line involving the last person I was expecting to be mentioned on a song about violence.

B**** - This song is very misogynistic, but itís hilarious. Eminemís verse is alright (part of it doesnít even rhyme). Swift does a better job, and Bizarreís verse sucks. Kuniva and Kon Artis come in next and drop another one of their excellent tag team verses. This one is particularly hilarious, and outshines everybody on the song. Proof ends it off with a strong verse. I like this song a lot more than I should.

D12 World Ė Iím pretty sure this song is produced by Kanye West, but Iím not positive. The beat is good, regardless of whoís responsible for it. Itís got all of the members of D12 who arenít Eminem doing short verses between three choruses. I was a little disappointed that Proof only got to do one, but everyone does a good job. Bizarre in particular says a hilarious punch line at the end of his second verse. I wonder if Dr. Dre got mad at him for itÖ

40 Oz. Ė If this album was completely acapella, then this song would easily be the worst on the cd. Bizarre, Eminem, Kuniva, and Proof all spit horrible verses. This track reeks of attempts at commercial success; theyíre obviously trying to emulate the Dirty South craze thatís making several untalented rappers loads of money (Lilí Jon). No matter how much ďscrillaĒ D12 make because of this song, though, it still sucks. Atleast the beat is good.

Commercial Break Ė This track is the sequel to the Obie Trice skit from Devilís Night; this one features Young Zee. The beat isnít as good as the one Obie Trice got, but itís bump-worthy; Young Zee, however, shows that heís better than Obie. He rips the track to shreds and proves that commercial success is long overdue for someone of his talent.
    NEPatriots 3x World Champions
    UNC Basketball 5x National Champions
    Charlotte Bobcats UHHHHHHH

American Psycho II Ė B-Real has the second worst rap voice Iíve ever had the misfortune of hearing. Lots of people love him and Cypress Hill, and they probably do have talent, but his voice doesnít let me listen to a song by them for more than a minute. Heís limited to the hook on this song, and does an alright job. The best thing about this song, in my opinion, is Dr. Dreís guitar-based beat. I think itís excellent. D12 donít really make this song about being mentally twisted like the original; this is more battle rap. Eminem has the best verse, but everyone does a good job.

Bugz í97 Ė Bugz deserves a better beat than this. If you can get over the annoying production, youíll hear this ex-member of D12 drop a real gem. I havenít heard much from him, but if all of his verses were like this, then the hip hop world lost talent when he was murdered. And, hey, Swift wouldnít have joined D12, so this album would be better.

Good Die Young Ė Here, D12 are rapping about how much they miss Bugz; the song is very sad and heartfelt. The chorus is only alright, but the verses are solid and the mood gets to the listener very well. It does make me wonder if Eminem liked Bugz, though, because heís not on here.

Keep Talkiní Ė Unlike ď6 In The Morning,Ē this song was leaked on purpose, so I donít really know why itís on the album, because itís over a year old. They didnít change anything, even the Green Lantern shout outs are still here. Despite these complaints, the track is great. Swift, Kuniva, Proof, and Bizarre all drop good verses, with Proofís and Kunivaís standing out as really excellent. Eminemís hook is good, and the beat is hot.

The bottom line is this: Devilís Night is better than D12 World. But this album isnít bad; some songs are really excellent, but the worst from here is far inferior to the worst from Devilís Night. I would have liked to hear more Proof verses, and less Kon Artis and Swift. Also, they shouldnít have given Bizarre the solo track.

Best Track: Get My Gun
    Worst Track: U R The One
    Best Beat: American Psycho II
    Worst Beat: U R The One

Overall Album Rating: 75%

Props to Koko, Unfazed, and Krumbz; without them, this review would not have been possible because I wouldnít have gotten the album.
    NEPatriots 3x World Champions
    UNC Basketball 5x National Champions
    Charlotte Bobcats UHHHHHHH

Comment

Originally posted by Luis T.
      Itís been three years since Devilís Night, an album that everybody on this site has heard at least once.

How Come Ė I have no way of proving my suspicions, but Iím 90% sure that this song is addressing the Royce Da 5í9Ē situation between him and D12. The beat is dark; it sounds like it was made for battle rap, but this is one of the more sentimental tracks on the album. Eminem, Kon Artis, and Proof supply the verses, and they all do good jobs. Eminemís hook isnít sung greatly, but itís catchy and it conveys the emotions that theyíre feeling well.
      I've never heard the whole Devils Night... I'll get around to it one day though, first I gotta buy it.

How Come is probably my favorite track off of this album but I haven't listened to the whole thing... I leave a track on for a few seconds then change it... I don't really like it.

But there's no way How Come is about Royce ... nope. The hook could be directed to him though...? His verse is obviously directed at a female "Bonnie & Clyde... wiped my tears ... same childhood". I think they're all talking about different girls.
      Anyway...
      Ding Ding Ding Da Da Ding Ding Tsk Ding Ding Ding Ding Da Da Ding Ding

<Elisa> what's up Buttercup?

Comment

good review thanks man i agree with pretty much everythin you said. i havent listened to some of the songs, one of them bein U R The One
        I'm making a D12World comeback

Comment

my favorite song is the good die young but u point out a very interesting thing, i wonder if Em did also?
          R.I.P. PROOF
          I Don't know what to think anymore.
          You were the most influential, inspiring person in my life, you wEre my idol hommie....

Comment

album is garbage bottomline
            best song how come
            worst song just pick a number

Comment

nice review...one of the few reviews i actually read all the way through.

Lmao at ur comment about 50 not knowing how to talk.
              "I can gather all the news I need on the weather report."

Comment

well written review as always luis,

Comment

nice review as always. i always look forward to your reviews.

Comment

this is my review

horrible cd, bizarre is on it too much, that makes me not being able to hear a song more than 3 times

eminem's flow is much better, so is his singing, but his lyrics don't mean shit, he just puts words together, the songs have no fucking concepts or the concepts are so lame and played out they don't intrigue me at all

they even tried to rip off lil john's style and make 40 oz and it came out so lame, who the fuck told them they're good enough for that

their gimmicks are so fucking dumb too, especially bizarre's, you have to be a stupid desperate to fit in teen to fall for that type of shit,

with this cd and ghostface's mainstream cd that i just heard which is worst than anything i could imagine he'll do, i officially announce mainstream pure shit, except for outkast but they're not exactly what the rest of the mainstream hip hop is

die label executives and fat faggots that only seek profits you tarnished one more good thing

and die ignorant pieces of shit that fall for gimmicks and the same "candy ass" (immortal technique quoite) and make money for the labels so they keep pushing the same shit

luckily i have 200 underground cds which i'm really happy with

Comment

^ take a pill

Comment

Again, another well-detailed review Luis
                        I'd agree with you on most of it ("Get My Gun" is my favourite track too), but I'd probably give it 65-70%.

Best Song:Get My Gun
                        Honourable Mentions: D12 World, Loyalty, How Come & Keep Talkin

Worst Song U R The One & Leave Dat Boy Alone (just for the chorus)
                        Honorable Mentions: 40 Oz (just for the lyrics), I'll Be Damned

Random Comments:
                        • Swifty again proves why he is the most limited and boring member of D12 with an assortment of interchangable verses
                        • Bizarre seems to have improved since "Devil's Night"
                        • One of the things that always impressed me about Eminem, is that he was able to speak to a wide audience without compromising his lyrical integrity or dumbing down his rhymes... However, after achieving unrivaled mainstream success as a respectable songwriter/lyricist ("Stan", "Cleaning Out My Closet", "Lose Yourself", "Sing For The Moment") Eminem seems to have dumbed down his rhymes for no apparent reason other than he no longer cares... It seems Eminem has achieved all he ever wanted too and has no decided to spend his last years in the game earning a steady income as an average gangsta-rapper... I'm dissapointed.
                        • Obie Trice drops a dope verse in "Loyalty", with such casual flow and delivery, that he briefly reminded me of a young Jay-Z (Sure he's not as good as Jay-Z, but he spits the kind of carefree verses that make it sound as though he could spit for hours on end, bending wors to rhyme as he sees fit). It's easy to see early on that Obie is twice as interesting as most members of D12.
                        • At first I hated "Bitch", but then I got the joke, and it grew on me.
                        • "How Come" was the track which interested me the most upon first listen, if only because it finally gave a more eloquent insight from D12, into their fallout with Royce.
                        • "U R The One" is fucking terrible
                        • "Leave Dat Boy Alone" has perhaps the worst hook I've ever heard... what the fuck was Eminem thinking?
                        • "Bugz '97" was a nice idea... but the beat is terrible and for some reason they chose to include the worst alltime Bugz verse; the appalling "Desporados".
                        • "American Psycho II" is dull. Okay beat, but no sight of any psychos... and can someone tell me the point of getting a guest star on an album just to sing a chorus... it's always seemed like a waste to me.
                        • It was good to see D12 branching out in "Good Die Young". I'm pleased to see them step out of their comfort zone
                        • "Get My Gun" is funny, the beat is corny but dope, and Eminem even drops an interesting verse. Best track on the album.

Anyway that's it from me.
                        Perhaps the album will grow on me after a couple of listens and my opinion of it will go up a notch.
                        OZ HIP HOP.COM
                        THE RAP CELLA

Comment

read my track by track review here:

http://www.d12world.com/board/showthread.php?t=89107

and just so you know... even if you didnt "illegally" download 6 in the Morning.... you could legally download it or listen to it on the "Countdown to Armageddon" mixtape that Green Lantern dropped a few months back.....so it's not "old" to people who got it illegally... it's old to almost everyone now....

Comment

Originally posted by Rondell*Beene
                            [*]It seems Eminem has achieved all he ever wanted too and has no decided to spend his last years in the game earning a steady income as an average gangsta-rapper... I'm dissapointed.
                            [*]"U R The One" is fucking terrible
                            [*]"Leave Dat Boy Alone" has perhaps the worst hook I've ever heard... what the fuck was Eminem thinking?
                            [*]"American Psycho II" is dull. Okay beat, but no sight of any psychos... and can someone tell me the point of getting a guest star on an album just to sing a chorus... it's always seemed like a waste to me.

RIGHT-FUCKING-ON man! you hit each of those right on the head! AP2 is wack and i cant stand it.... U R The One and Leave Dat Boy Alone are also incredibly horrible tracks that i wish i never had to hear... and eminem seems to not care anymore and that is really unfortunate.... if his next solo album is anything like TES... he will have officially fallen off and i will no longer look forward to a day when "slim shady will be back"......

Comment

good review evertying wwas good except ap2 and 6 in the morn...i liked those tracks...but yeah im not buying this shit...this just not good hip hop or rap or whatever you wanna call it...proofs ep shit was better...its seems like him and em dumb down to give the rest of d12 shine...but only kuniva could benefit from that....and ive said em has fallen off...but i just head that freestyle with westwood over mobb deeps got twisted and he kills that.......bush is pussy, puss is bushy....im a suicical supersonic unibomber shit...cmon...hes got one more chance in my book to redeem himself....and 40 oz is not wack to me anymore just cause of that one line "ill g money that bitch"
                              STC-2006

new tracks added

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=177432

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 10:44 AM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Louiscuming  
                              Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 08:36 AM
                              4 responses