Lupe Fiasco - The Cool [2007]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lupe Fiasco - The Cool [2007]

First of all, if you are considering listening to this album, it assumes prior knowledge with the concept/storyline of the Cool, the Streets and the Game. If you havent already, listen to the following tracks: The Cool from Food & Liquor and The Pills (Real Recognize Real) from the unreleased version of the same album. Other songs are in the story, but these are the essentail ones. Do some Wikipedia reading as well.
    My review:
    Baba Says Cool For Thought: Poem by Lupe's sister, and actually somewhat essential to the understanding of the album. Sets up the theme and makes the concept records work.
    Free Chilly: Again, Lupes gotta stop using the hottest beats imaginable as intros and outros. Great singing by Sarah Green and Gemstones; also a tribute to Stack Bundles (if we could build a ladder that tall...)
    Now the real album starts.
    Go Go Gadget Flow: Very good Soundtrakk production. This is Lupe's ode to Chicago. His double time rapping and sharp cadence draw in the listener, and the lyrics really serve as an intro to the album. Very very good track. Better than Real (the first track from F&L). 4/5
    The Coolest: The first of the concept records. This would be the best track on 99% of albums ever released (but not on this one). Captivating storytelling; he may have actually improved upon "The Cool".
    5/5
    Superstar (w/ Matthew Santos): Im sure youve heard this by now, it was the lead single from the album but didnt really gain momentum until after the albums release. It has grown on me with time, better than his last single (Kick, Push). Discusses the trappings of fame. 4/5
    Paris, Tokyo If this is Lupe's favorite record on the album (as he says), then I question his judgement. Nice track with ATCQ "Award Tour" feel. Discusses travelling through the vehicle of longing for his girl back home. Nice track, just not up to par with most of the others here. 3.5/5
    Hi-Definition (w/ Pooh Bear & Snoop Dogg): Although it sounds like a fun party type track on the first listen, upon further inspection it reveals itself as some of Lupe's finest lyricsm. Excellent verses, but Snoop is pretty damn bad. He brings it down to a 4/5
    Gold Watch: Lots of people have issues with the sample, but the sample is the beat. Lupe runs down what he considers "Cool," then flips it with the third verse, which despite being only 8 bars is one of the best on the album and is often overlooked. I hope more people start to appreciate this, its a personal favorite. 4/5
    Hip Hop Saved My Life (w/ Nikki Jean) This song is getting rotation all over the place. Entirely narrative (Lupe's strenght), it is the story of a struggling rapper from Houston. Im not hearing much discussion about how it somewhat defends rappers who make pop songs. In the first verse he describes the "Stack that Cheese" verse as "wack," but in the second verse it implies that he actually made the song, in large part to support his family. Classic song. 5/5
    Intruder Alert (w/ Matthew Santos & Sarah Green) Im with dreftsnoop on this one as far as having some concerns about the drums, although I think the piano loop is great. The brush thing is also awfully off-beat. However, its probably the most socially relevant song on the album, with three different verses telling stories of troubled people. The last line of the third verse is a scathing criticism of the United States. To me it overcomes the deficiencies in the beat to get a 5/5.
    Streets on Fire (w/ Matthew Santos)Intuder Alert is a great record. Little Weapon is as well, as are The Coolest, Dumb it Down and especially Put You On Game. But this is the best song on the album, hands down in my opinion. Speaking of the Streets as her female manifestation in the hook, Matthew Santos sets a great tone for the track. Lupe, however takes it a step further. He speaks of the allure of the street life as a virus. The 1984-inspired verses (especially the second) are simply brilliant. What takes it to another level is the fact that this is a real social issue that needs to be addressed. 5/5, just because I dont wanna give anything a 6.
    Little Weapon (w/ Nikki Jean & Bishop G) Youve heard of the Darfur conflict by now, Im sure. You have likely also heard of the child soldiers, who are the subject of Lupe's two verses on here. After an intro (parts lifted from his mixtape song "Heat Under the Babyseat"), Lupe tells of the horrors of the situation, followed by Bishop G comparing it with violence in media, which makes East African conflict relevant in America. Great track. 5/5
    Gotta Eat: When I first got the album, I thought this was sort of a throwaway track. But it soon became one of the better tracks of 07. The problems with nutrition in low income areas is something which is just starting to be explored in music. Lupe does it in a clever and humorous way by telling a story of a cheesburger, although he refers to him as a mobster (never actually saying he is food). The double-entendres that work for both a drug lord and a Big Mac are entertaining and light hearted, which is necessary after the last three tracks. 4.5/5
    Dumb it Down This is fucking insane. The premise of the track is people trying to tell him (in the hooks) to dumb down his music, and Lupe refusing. The beat is purposefully simplistic so as to mimic the bland music in the industry today, and the verses are ultra complex and designed to go over your head. They are built around the concept of 'Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil.' One of his best songs. 5/5
    Hello/Goodbye (Uncool) (w/ UNKLE) Rock-influenced song with very deep verses. Seems to me to be about suicide, but Im still trying to fully decipher it. Good song, just not enought Lupe. 4/5
    The Die (w/ Gemstones) Another concept record, the third so far. The death of the Cool. Great great great narrative. Gemstones really comes through. Im hooked on this one right now. 5/5
    Put You on GameIMO the second best track on the album. After the death of the Cool, Lupe goes on a three minute rant as the Game (with no hook) describing his place in the world. Perfect song. It is also essentially the last heavy song on the album, the next two are basically outros. 5/5
    Fighters (w/ Matthew Santos) The first really personal song on The Cool, it has grown on me a lot. I really like the beat now and appreciate his honesty and emotion. 4/5
    Go BabyNot a terrible song, but it should have been cut. Its pretty catchy, but its mostly an extended hook, although it has some catchy lines ("They want me to leave my Dame like the fellow from Marcy"). Not a great outro, would have been better to end after Fighters. Or even put Blackout on somewhere. Definitely the weakest song, but not awful. 3/5
    I admit Lupe is either my favorite rapper or second behind Nas, but I think this album convinces anyone who didnt buy into Food & Liquor that this guys a genious. Ive always regarded Illmatic as the best album ever, but I think Food & Liquor came very close, and in my honest opinion this album is better. Im sure 99% of people, even those who love the album dont think its the best album ever, and Im not necessarially saying that, but I cant think of a single album that is beyond any doubt better than this.

Well, thats my opinion. What does everyone else think?
    30.95%
    28.57%
    23.81%
    9.52%
    2.38%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    4.76%
    Last edited by WPG; 08-27-2008, 10:30 AM.

I gave it a 9.

I don't think it's as good as F&L which, imo, is a perfect 10 album.
    Twitter

Comment

^Do you wanna start that thread? Im all reviewed-out for now Im just gonna copy and paste one from my blog haha. F&L is great as well. What do you think makes F&L better?

Comment

i agree with most of your review. imo Food & Liquor is a 10/10, and it's slightly better then The Cool. But with songs like Little Weapon, Streets On Fire, Hip Hop Saved My Life & Intruder Alert i decided to give it a 10 too.

Comment

Check my other 2 I just posted

Comment

Its a 9

Comment

i also definitely agree that Fighters should've been the last track .. Go Baby is fun tho

Comment

Nitz has the GOAT avy

Comment

There are a few tracks with Wack beats that stop it being a 9 or higher too me.
                  I ran like a cheetah with thoughts of an assassin

Comment

^Which ones are those (other than Intruder Alert)?

Comment

prefered Food and Liquor. Overall as an album, this never really grew on me which is probably why I disapeared in the thread I made lol. 7.5/10.

Comment

Originally posted by WPG204 View Post
                        ^Which ones are those (other than Intruder Alert)?
                        Gotta Eat
                        Hello/Goodbye (Uncool)
                        Dumb It Down (Although I see the vision)
                        The Die
                        and of course Gold Watch.

I am also not fond of Black Out or Fighters.

All average at best beats imo. maybe I am too critical ..

Comment

EDIT: To MIC - Yeah I was gonna say hahaha

to dreftsnoop: I disagree on all of those except Blackout haha, but its all opinion. And being critical is a good thing

Oh and if you check out my Stupid fucking ignorant people (part one) thread in hip hop, while I was leaving that guys house in disgust I saw a container of Dreft haha

Comment

8.5 Dam Near Classic

Comment

Am I the only person that LOVES Go Baby lol? The hook is VERY annoying but I still love it.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by gbnttorfda, Today, 01:12 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post gbnttorfda