Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor [2006]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor [2006]

Most of my reviews are in paragraph form but for these I decided to do track by track.
    Intro Poem by his sister, and then a Muslim prayer, then one of the GOAT beats. Dammit, I want him to rap haha. But for some reason, this is even a listenable intro on its own. In any case, its sets up the next song.
    Real (w/ Sarah Green)His unorthodox flow throws you off at first, but the driving beat and deep, meaningful lyrics are indicitive of the course of the album. The personal highlight for me is when he switches up the hook: "The game is not to give em nothing real..." a strong4/5
    Just Might Be Okay (w/ Gemstones) Absolutely insane, one of Lupe's most underrated songs. "Kept me lookin over my shoulders like chauffers" and similar lines that stand out when read in isolation are thrown around in the song like its nothing. When he gets into the narrative, its just on another level. 5/5
    Kick, PushThe single, probably my favorite Soundtrakk beat. Whatever Lupe says, its not just about skateboarding 4/5
    [B]I Gotcha/B] Pretty good Neptunes beat, and Lupe has great metaphors (not those similies that rap fans call metaphors, real ones). Really nice track with one of my favorite Lupe hooks ever. 4/5
    The Instrumental Now the album really picks up. The beauty of this song is the way he leaves the "box" open for interpretation. The obvious answer is TV, but think deeper. This is an amazing track. I was going to say it is out of the box...fuck it. 5/5
    He Say She Say (w/ Sarah Green & Gemstones) Essentially one verse, the only difference in the second verse is the pronouns. A mother and child pleading the father to become a factor in his life. And he manages to have witty and clever lyrics anyway. Great beat and hook as well. 5/5
    SunshineThe most underrated song on the album. Probably my favorite girl song ever. "Never met her before, but I think I like her like a metaphor- shes hard to get." Classic 5/5
    Daydreamin' (w/ Jill Scott)Even better. The best song on the album to this point. The robot is a metaphor for his position atop Chicago's music scene. The criticism of commercial rappers in the second verse is brilliant. Now come on everybody lets make cocaine cool... 5/5
    The CoolThis in turn tops Daydreamin as the standout track. Superb Kanye beat. The best pure narrative song Ive ever heard. Remember, at the time there was no explanation of any sort for "The Cool," making it a totally new concept. If you havent heard this song, It will blow your mind. 5/5
    Hurt Me SoulFor the third track in a row, we have a new best song on the album, and my all-time favorite song. Lupe takes the first two verses to chronicle the role hip hop has played in his life and his struggles with morality. The third verse, in my opinion, shows how hip hop has become a scapegoat for everything wrong in the world. He describes every problem he can think of, then ends the verse with "...all the world's ills/sitting on chrome 24 inch wheels." The hooks (it changes every time) are actually possibly the highlight of the song. 5/5
    Pressure (w/ Jay-Z)This song catches hate SO unfairly. Lupe is terrific and absolutely murks Jay, who actually has a pretty good verse. Check out the Sly and the Family Stone reference in the second verse. Also, the metaphor of the jean sewing in the first verse is great. 4.5/5
    American Terrorist (w/ Matthew Santos) Great song, coming from the perspective of a black Muslim in America. There is not much to be said about this until you hear it. 5/5
    The Emperor's SoundtrackInteresting structure to the song, the most driving beat since Real. Again, he needs to learn how to choose which songs to use as an outro. Great track with some quotable worthy lyrics. 5/5
    Kick, Push IINot bad, actually pretty good; along the same lines as the original. Closes out nicely I suppose. 4/5

31.58%
    26.32%
    26.32%
    10.53%
    5.26%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    Last edited by WPG; 08-27-2008, 10:34 AM.

9/10, better than The Cool

Comment

8/10.

On a similar level to the Cool. Lyrics are not as impressive imo, but the beats are def. better.
      I ran like a cheetah with thoughts of an assassin

Comment

^I think thats fair. I would agree that F&L beats > The Cool beats.

Comment

9/10, loved the album but not as many standout tracks compared to The Cool but Hurt Me Soul > *
          -
          Blog

Staring at the city like it's watching me too

Comment

I demand a review from j0hncena haha. 6?

Comment

From start to finish I loved this album. Most of the track still get replayed regularly.

I think it is his strongest release out of the two.

The production is great, the lyrics are great, all the tracks are sequenced well.

10/10 IMO
              Twitter

Comment

Intro - A nice poem and a very good beat that sets up the next song.

Real - very strong track, some nice lines and great beat. 4.5/5

Just Might Be Okay - crazy track, some dope lines and GemStones does a great job. 4.5/5

Kick Push - 1st single, catchy hook & a great Soundtrakk beat. 4/5

I Gotcha - good Neptunes beat, awesome metaphors. Underrated track. 4.5/5

The Instrumental - this is where the amazingness starts. various interpretations. dope beat too 5/5

He Say She Say - i really like the concept. very good lines. great hook 5/5

Sunshine - good song with some clever lines and another dope beat 4.5/5

Daydreamin' - dope metaphors, one of Lupe's best song. 5/5

The Cool - amazing storytelling, awesome Kanye beat 5/5

Hurt Me Soul - In my opinion the best song on the album. 5/5

Pressure - great track, Lupe kills Jay on this one. 4.5/5

American Terrorist - another great concept 5/5

The Emperor's Soundtrack - another good track, interesting beat 4/5

Kick Push II - i like this one more then the original. 4.5/5

Outro - he should've rapped on this beat ffs

overall i give this album a 10/10 and i think every hip hop fan should check it out

Comment

Originally posted by WPG204 View Post
                  Most of my reviews are in paragraph form but for these I decided to do track by track.
                  Intro Poem by his sister, and then a Muslim prayer, then one of the GOAT beats. Dammit, I want him to rap haha. But for some reason, this is even a listenable intro on its own. In any case, its sets up the next song.
                  Real (w/ Sarah Green)His unorthodox flow throws you off at first, but the driving beat and deep, meaningful lyrics are indicitive of the course of the album. The personal highlight for me is when he switches up the hook: "The game is not to give em nothing real..." a strong4/5
                  Just Might Be Okay (w/ Gemstones) Absolutely insane, one of Lupe's most underrated songs. "Kept me lookin over my shoulders like chauffers" and similar lines that stand out when read in isolation are thrown around in the song like its nothing. When he gets into the narrative, its just on another level. 5/5
                  Kick, PushThe single, probably my favorite Soundtrakk beat. Whatever Lupe says, its not just about skateboarding 4/5
                  [B]I Gotcha/B] Pretty good Neptunes beat, and Lupe has great metaphors (not those similies that rap fans call metaphors, real ones). Really nice track with one of my favorite Lupe hooks ever. 4/5
                  The Instrumental Now the album really picks up. The beauty of this song is the way he leaves the "box" open for interpretation. The obvious answer is TV, but think deeper. This is an amazing track. I was going to say it is out of the box...fuck it. 5/5
                  He Say She Say (w/ Sarah Green & Gemstones) Essentially one verse, the only difference in the second verse is the pronouns. A mother and child pleading the father to become a factor in his life. And he manages to have witty and clever lyrics anyway. Great beat and hook as well. 5/5
                  SunshineThe most underrated song on the album. Probably my favorite girl song ever. "Never met her before, but I think I like her like a metaphor- shes hard to get." Classic 5/5
                  Daydreamin' (w/ Jill Scott)Even better. The best song on the album to this point. The robot is a metaphor for his position atop Chicago's music scene. The criticism of commercial rappers in the second verse is brilliant. Now come on everybody lets make cocaine cool... 5/5
                  The CoolThis in turn tops Daydreamin as the standout track. Superb Kanye beat. The best pure narrative song Ive ever heard. Remember, at the time there was no explanation of any sort for "The Cool," making it a totally new concept. If you havent heard this song, It will blow your mind. 5/5
                  Hurt Me SoulFor the third track in a row, we have a new best song on the album, and my all-time favorite song. Lupe takes the first two verses to chronicle the role hip hop has played in his life and his struggles with morality. The third verse, in my opinion, shows how hip hop has become a scapegoat for everything wrong in the world. He describes every problem he can think of, then ends the verse with "...all the world's ills/sitting on chrome 24 inch wheels." The hooks (it changes every time) are actually possibly the highlight of the song. 5/5
                  Pressure (w/ Jay-Z)This song catches hate SO unfairly. Lupe is terrific and absolutely murks Jay, who actually has a pretty good verse. Check out the Sly and the Family Stone reference in the second verse. Also, the metaphor of the jean sewing in the first verse is great. 4.5/5
                  American Terrorist (w/ Matthew Santos) Great song, coming from the perspective of a black Muslim in America. There is not much to be said about this until you hear it. 5/5
                  The Emperor's SoundtrackInteresting structure to the song, the most driving beat since Real. Again, he needs to learn how to choose which songs to use as an outro. Great track with some quotable worthy lyrics. 5/5
                  Kick, Push IINot bad, actually pretty good; along the same lines as the original. Closes out nicely I suppose. 4/5
                  Overall, its a 10/10.
                  I invite everyone to review it for themselves, and then try to tell me a rapper with a better 2 albums to start their career than Lupe.
                  eminem

Comment

album got universal acclaim on metacritic

http://www.metacritic.com/music/arti...d%20&%20liquor

Comment

His orchestral Kanye-meets-Nas muse lacks originality.
                      #

ether

Comment

lol

Comment

danny is HILARIOUS

Comment

why you mad lol, i didnt write it, just quoted it

Comment

Imnot mad, its just a general statement

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250