0.00%
    3.03%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    1 (I'm an idiot)
    0.00%
    Originally posted by SteWonYou
    sometimes you have to do what you have to do, and that might involve sucking dick
    Originally posted by Temerity
    understood that you don't fuck with Swizz
    Originally posted by Nianco
    Swizz...*Sighs*..I really hate you so much. I just want you to know that.

1. The Ruler’s Back – Not musically innovative at all, like much of the album is, but it’s clear right here that Jay’s charisma and lyricism are going to be in full swing throughout this album. Nowhere near my favorite here, but it’s a solid start. B+

2. Takeover – Absolutely classic diss, and it’s probably one of the most quotable rap songs of all time. Any Kanye-produced song with a Doors sample is bound to be sick, and this one fulfills that to the highest degree by utilizing one of my favorite Doors songs, Five To One. Jay absolutely slaughters all of his foes here; Ether is a classic, but that is irrelevant because it doesn’t take away from how good this song is. A

3. Izzo (H.O.V.A.) – Easily one of Jay-Z’s best commercial hits, because he’s actually willing to fuse the poppy production and hook with strong lyrical content. The third verse is far and away the greatest part of the song; I could (and have) listen to it over and over. A

4. Girls, Girls, Girls – Very fun song. It isn’t brilliant like most of the songs here, and the production is repetitive at best, but Jay makes it worth revisiting because the verses are amusing. Entertaining track, good for a single. B+

5. Jigga That ***** – Continues a streak of endlessly quotable songs, Jigga That ***** is insanely catchy, and yet Jay as a lyricist never goes on autopilot. Love this song. A-

6. U Don’t Know – One of the album’s highlights, easily. One of my favorite Just Blaze beats ever, some of the most memorable Jay lines ever, a perfect sample…this is just simply a classic track. A

7. Hola Hovito – Easily could’ve been a big hit. It’s always good to hear Jigga over a Timbaland beat, and this is no different. Jay is on fire verse after verse, and yet he’s still reaching a musical highpoint for his career by choosing brilliant beats and producing endlessly catchy hooks. A-

8. Heart of the City (Ain’t No Love) – Was my instant favorite the first time I heard the album, and still stands as one of the best here. Not to sound like a broken record, but this is a classic track. It’s production like this that rightfully propelled Kanye West into the echelon of superstar hip-hop producers (and eventually rappers). The track was originally meant for DMX, and it’s hard to imagine how tragic it would’ve been to rob Jay of this beat. A

9. Never Change – Another example of perfect production, but also brilliant lyricism on Hov’s part…Never Change manages to evoke feelings in a way few mainstream rappers have been able to do since the demise of 2Pac. Nearly perfect. A

10. Song Cry – Once again, emotional in a way that’s reminiscent of 2Pac’s best work. Song Cry is often cited to prove that Jay-Z has lyrical substance; it’s shocking proof that he can tell a story better than almost anyone in hip-hop, and not just an inconsequential story for the sake of telling one (see Biggie’s I Got a Story To Tell…although that’s also a classic in its own right), but a real, resonant emotional story. Still seen by many as one of his best, and for good reason. A

11. All I Need – Easily my least favorite track. All I Need does very little for me. Lyrically I can’t say that Jay is slacking, I just remain very unimpressed with the production. If this was in the hands of a lesser lyricist, it would’ve been irredeemable, but luckily Jay still makes it a solid track. It just pales in comparison to the others here. B

12. Renegade (feat. Eminem) – Eminem’s legacy may have paled now, as of June 2008, but listening to this track, you remember why he changed hip-hop, and why he was the most brilliant lyricist of his time (at his peak). It’s been debated whether he actually DID kill Jay on his own shit, but to me it’s not debatable: he did. These are two of his greatest verses ever, not to mention a strong production job. As for Jay, he does a great job as well, providing memorable and substantive verses, they just don’t have the wit or brilliance of Eminem’s. There’s no doubting that this is a classic hip-hop track. A+

13. Blueprint (Momma Loves Me) – Jay gets sentimental again, but subtly, not overdoing it like some rappers tend to do in the token emotional song near the end of the album. Blueprint (Momma Loves Me) has very simple, stripped down production, allowing the focus to be on Jay’s words, and they’re great. Would’ve been a great way to end the album, but Jay insists on hidden tracks… A

Breathe Easy (Lyrical Exercise) – Easily good enough to be a regular track on here rather than just a bonus song. Jay breaks down his brilliance from the start and it’s hard to disagree with him when the verses are spit as perfectly and energetically as they are here. A

Girls, Girls, Girls (Remix) – I definitely like this more than the original. The sample and production are so much more interesting; maybe that’s just because I prefer Kanye to Just Blaze in general. Not sure. The lyrics are about even, maybe slightly better here. This is another song that should’ve been thrown into the real tracklist. A-

Easy classic, 10/10
    sometimes you have to do what you have to do, and that might involve sucking dick

Comment

tba >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> bp a thousand times over

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
        tba >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> bp a thousand times over
        WTF, you gave this a 5??? Can you back that up in anyway at all?

I agree Black Album was brilliant though, I go back and forth on which of these I like better but TBA is fucking greatness

Comment

i gave it a five because i only like hola hovito, girls, renegade and hotc

Comment

8/10

Girls Girls Girls, Hola Hovito & All I Need are weak tracks. the rest is all good/dope. My favorite tracks are U Don't Know, Heart Of The City, Renegade. The Black Album is better

Comment

8/10

Although I think the album was great, I just didn't see it to be that great. I prefer The Black Album.

Only a few weak songs.

Heart Of The City & Song Cry > *
              Twitter

Comment

How can you not like the beat to Girls, Girls, Girls? Possibly one of my favorite beats he rapped over...
                P!

Comment

This album is classic or close to it.
                  BP>TBA any day. This CD OWNED the Summer.

Comment

If It Had Better Production I'd Give It A 10.....I Give It A 8

And Its True The Black Album To Me Is Better...That Would've Been The Best Way To Retire...With The Best Album

Comment

Originally posted by old_parr View Post
                      If It Had Better Production I'd Give It A 10.....I Give It A 8

And Its True The Black Album To Me Is Better...That Would've Been The Best Way To Retire...With The Best Album
                      omfg lmfao wtf m8 the production on this album is classic

Comment

Yeah wtf to me the beats saved the album. To be honest I find the lyrics horribly watered down, save for a few moments. Even Heart of the City (one of the greatest beats of all time IMO) is not a perfect track; I just dont feel its ANYWHERE near Jays strongest performance lyrically. Also, I consider Takeover one of the most overrated disses ever, but the beat is >>>>>>>>>> *

If I were ranking Jay's albums Id go The Black Album > Reasonable Doubt > American Gangster > The Blueprint

7/10

Comment

"But everytime I hit the ground I bounce up like roundball"
                          NEPatriots 3x World Champions
                          UNC Basketball 5x National Champions
                          Charlotte Bobcats UHHHHHHH

Comment

^Yeah thats the kind of stuff Im talking about haha

Comment

The Ruler's Back - Baller trumpets on the hook plus baller lyrics. "I'm too sexy for jail like I'm Right Said Fred." Classic shit. 4/5

Takeover - Kanye deserves zero credit for this track, he just cut and paste the Doors song without adding any of his own ideas. Fuck Kanye. Anyway, Jay-Z indeed drops one of the all time most quotable rap songs. You know who did you know what with you know who lmfaoooo. USE YOUR..BRAAAAAAIN. 5/5

Izzo (HOVA) - Definitely got played out for me because I heard this song like 14053 times when it first came out. A great single, catchy lyrics, mega catchy chorus. For shizzle my nizzle used to dribble down NBA. Word. 4/5

Girls Girls Girls - The first Just Blaze classic on the album, great fucking sample plus the fuzzy music is world class. Hearing Biz and Slick Rick on the hooks is pretty awesome, and Jigga's lyrics are hilarious. 5/5

Jigga That Niggga - Insanely catchy and quotable also. However, the beat is fucking terrible. I have no idea why Jay-Z chose this shit, he must have been blitzed drunk fuck out of his mind. Jigga get this whole shit bumpin' like six-fo's. 3.5/5

U Don't Know - Perfect. Fucking. Production. Easily one of the top-10 beats in hip-hop all time. Absolutely world class. Just Blaze ftw. Jay-Z's awesome on this too but this is Just Blaze's show. Was clappin' them flamers before I became famous. 6/5

Hola Hovito - This is also a great beat but after U Don't Know it's hard to shine. I love the chorus, and it makes me LOL to think of Jay-Z being about that dough since he was a day old. One complaint: could Jay-Z say motherfucker a little more in the third verse? Yeah, I don't think he did enough. 4/5

Heart of City - This is a classic, even if Hov' slacks a little he is at his best here. Nigggaz need to realize that lyricism is not all about multis and punchlines. This is an emotional hip hop masterpiece, even if a little fuckstick like Kanye produced it. 5/5

Never Change - Everything good about Heart of City applies to this track, except a little less. Also it's not as good because Kanye raps on the chorus and his voice sucks. Where your balls at WHOA gotta pause that WHOA. 4.5/5

Song Cry - Everything good about Heart of City applies to this track, except more so. A beautifully poignant track. Absolutely excellent in every way. And they don't remember that and I don't remember you = world class lyric. Also, the beat is great because Just Blaze and not a faggot like Kanye produces it. 5/5

All I Need - It's easy to call this the worst song on the album because of the sequence. This comes between Song Cry and Renegade. If Jigga That Niggga was on this part of the album it would no doubt get much more hate. This track is easy to hate on but honestly the tropical feel grew on me and Jigga pwns the shit out of it lyrically. Can't even steal on a niggga mothafuckas will sue. True. 4/5

Renegade - This one always takes me back to when Eminem was the unquestionable hip-hop heavy weight that reached his full potential. With two excellent verses he renders a longstanding debate null and void: he murdered Jay on his own shit, no question about it. I remember when the Nas beef was ongoing that Jay groupies like Y-Rok and k11 would insist that Jay-Z was just as good as Eminem on this, but that point of view is as retarded as Kanye. Jay-Z can only stand and stare in awe as he gets outshined to oblivion. Excellent beat too. Like you didn't experiment, NANA. 5/5

Blueprint - Jay-Z has to get the spotlight back on him and he does it with his emotional raps, which he's perfect at on this album. The subdued "ooh" and "yeah!" samples on this humble beat add to the emotion of the track perfectly. Jay-Z's lyrics are damn beautiful. Eric was fly, shit, I used to steal his gear. 5/5

I really wish he had done the bonus tracks as their own individual tracks, fucking asshole.

Lyrical Exercise - Another excellent Just Blaze beat. YALL NIGGGAZ CAN'T BE SERIOUS RIGHT NOW. The energy on this track is fucking crazy. For those of you who like to run/jog, I recommend listening to this as you exercise: the adrenaline will make it damn near impossible to get tired. I'm far from being God but I work goddamn hard. 5/5

Girls Girls Girls Remix - Of course this beat isn't nearly as good in the original because that talentless piece of shit Kanye produced it, but Jay's new verses are just as good and the chorus sample is great. Also, Kanye doesn't rap. She said, I ain't no fool I make it up in summer school. 4.5/5

This is a monolithic album in hip-hop. Some songs are a little less powerful than others, but it's unquestionably a classic.
                              Last edited by Luis T.I.; 07-01-2008, 11:20 AM.
                              NEPatriots 3x World Champions
                              UNC Basketball 5x National Champions
                              Charlotte Bobcats UHHHHHHH

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 09:41 AM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes