Rhymefest - Blue Collar (2006)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhymefest - Blue Collar (2006)

Making a name for yourself in the freestyle battling circuit can be very hard. Only few rappers make it, many fall off on the way. But for Che Smith, all it took was his wit, his intelligence and his humour. Che, better know as his stage name Rhymefest, gained respect throughout the underground scene through battling some of the most respected freestylers in the game. It's been two years to the day since Rhymefest released his long awaited LP “Blue Collar”.

After the spoken word intro to the album comes “Dynomite (Going Postal)”. The explosive Just Blaze production is a perfect opening for the album. Rhymefest lays knowledge on the track covering topics such as religion, politics and street life. The song contains a sample from Jimmie Walker’s ‘Good Times’ character J.J. Evans. A great song and a brilliant opening for the album.

The third song on the album was the first single, featuring and produced by Kanye West. “Brand New”. The song had some mainstream appeal but it wasn’t promoted enough to get ‘Fests name buzzing. The single isn’t as bad as some people make it out to be, but it’s still not on par with the Dynomite.

The next song on the album is the first of four tracks produced by Chicago legend No I.D. “Fever” showcases a fun, swagger based side of ‘Fest. Although an official video was released, the song was never promoted as an official single. Next up comes one of the main highlights of the album - “All I Do“. ‘Fest spits some great rhymes about the struggle growing up in the ‘slums’. A great track with a great beat produced by Emile. “Get Down” is a forgettable song. An average beat, weak chorus and average verses. The next song is one of my favourite Rhymefest songs.

“More” boasts a brilliant Cool & Dre beat, a great chorus by Kanye West and three amazing verses by ‘Fest. He addresses several issues such as struggling to make it in the industry, relationship problems and life on the streets.

“You think it's crazy saying, "If I had what he had"
    But if you had what he had, ***** you'd be mad
    Three kids, see dad broke-ass waiting on the royalties with no cash
    Nice car, no gas, stuck at the pump”

The third No I.D. track on the album is “Chicago-Rillas“. The song features fellow Chicago rappers Bump J and Mikkey. A fantastic beat, three grimey verses. Overall a great anthem for Chi-Town. “Stick” and “All Girls Cheat” are both average songs. “Stick” reminds me of Touch It the way the beat switches up. It’s just too bland. “All Girls Cheat” is a typical break-up type of song. Boring and monotonous.

I really don’t want to comment on “Devil’s Pie” because my opinion will be very bias. Hey, it samples my favourite song by The Strokes. Thumbs up for Rhymefest for ripping it and Mark Ronson for doing such a great job. “Sister” is another great song. I loved this beat when Miss Keys used it, and I love this version. A fantastic song detailing the struggle some women go through. One of the most complete songs on the whole album. A beautiful chorus by Mike Payne as well.

The next song is definitely something amazing. My ultimate favourite on the album. It samples Citizen Copes song “Bullet And A Target”. It’s just a masterpiece. Everything from ’Fests delivery, rhyme scheme, his emotion, his charisma and his lyrics are perfect. “Tell A Story” is a fantastic narrative song, with a different story in each verse. The first verse is about a drug dealer that is being watched by police, at the end of the verse it says that the boy was only thirteen. The second verse is describes a lonely girl, and the third verse is about the life of youths in the ghetto.

The last song on the album features the deceased Wu-Tang rapper “Ol’ Dirty Bastard”. It contains a recording of ODB singing “Build Me Up Buttercup”.

The beat is good, the verses are great and the chorus is hilarious.
    Overall, the album is solid. Two years on and it still gets better with every listen. Apart from about two songs, the production on the album is good. ‘Fest comes correct in almost every verse. It’s full of positive messages and uplifting lyrics. Definitely a great album to add to your collection if you don’t have it already. Look out for “El Che” coming Summer 2008

Production: 7/10
    Content: 9/10
    Overall: 8/10

Highlights:
    Dynomite (Going Postal)
    All I Do
    More (Featuring Kanye West)
    Sister
    Bullet

Lowlights:
    Stick
    All Girls Cheat

(Review written by T_S @ PurelyHipHop.Blogspot.com)
    0.00%
    14.29%
    42.86%
    14.29%
    14.29%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    14.29%
    Last edited by Tha Story; 07-11-2008, 03:40 AM.
    Twitter

Thanks man I knew youd come through
    Good review

Comment

I wrote it the day you said about it.

Didn't want to release it until today, since it 2 years since it came out today.
      Twitter

Comment

Really dope album! I didn't expect it to be anywhere near as good as it was.

Comment

8/10

great production, great lyrics...i think he could've done without a couple of songs, but overall i liked the album...

Comment

lol @ Ohomo17 voting a 1
            Twitter

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Gornawil, 06-08-2021, 02:04 PM
            2 responses
            0 likes