The New Danger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Danger

I know Mos Def isn't truly underground but I'm posting this here anyway...

What did y'all make of the new album?

Honestly I'm very disappointed with it...

He's always experimented a bit with his music but bringing out a rock album is not what I expected from him.

There's only a couple tracks on there I'm actually feeling.

That new Kweli wasn't as good as his previous efforts either.

And I was expecting these couple of months to be crazy with the new Mos, Kweli, Nas, Eminem... nothing I've heard from any of those guys compares to what De La Soul, Masta Ace or Wordsworth put down.
    On the corner where struggle and greed fight
    We write songs about wrong 'cause it's hard to see right
    Look to the sky hoping it will be light
    Reality's a bitch and I heard that she bites

i enjoyed the new mos alot, i like that artists are willingto take risks and wont stick to the same proven formula, i do wish there was more of what people would qualify as hip hop on there but as a album in totality and as a overall music lover i truly enjoyed it just like talibs , altho i do lovethat de la and masta ase was pure classic
    Democracy is just a word when the people are starving- Immortal Technique

Comment

I haven't heard this yet but I really want to.
      "It's every man's dream to have a penis so large that he must hire a small boy to carry it."
      "Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Comment

haven't given it a full listen yet, but i can say that i'll appreciate it. i was reading an interview with kweli and he said somethingwhile talking about experimenting with hip hop, and said:

You can take any form of music and do it in a hip-hop way and it'll be a hip-hop song. That's the only music you can do that with. So Mos can do a Black Jack Johnson and [still] be a hip-hop artist. You can do hip-hop music and fall into Funk, Rock, R&B, Jazz, Heavy Metal, Folk, Country and also be hip-hop and that's why you have so many different flavors of hip-hop. So that's something that is a testament to the power of hip-hop and any real hip-hop artist who's doing it not just art for art's sake, to actively participate in the culture.
        -Kweli Interview

But anyway, I was expecting Mos to come out with something different, as I have seen him change over the last couple of years.

On to the Kweli album, most people have been giving it bad reviews. I feel like he was also trying to do something new, and personally I see the same Kweli in this album that I saw in classics like Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Black Star and the Train of Thought album. The beats may be different, but that's a part of growing as an artist. What's the point of making music if you're going to do the same thing over and over, with no variation in your flow or beats. It's a challenge to find the right formula on an album, and although it may not be as good as the other 2 albums mentioned, it sure isn't as bad as people are making it out to be.
        ks

Comment

The point is, IMO, Mos isn't even making good rock music, so you can't just throw out that "oh but it's good music and I appreciate good music" stuff.
          On the corner where struggle and greed fight
          We write songs about wrong 'cause it's hard to see right
          Look to the sky hoping it will be light
          Reality's a bitch and I heard that she bites

Comment

Originally posted by zhuangshi
            haven't given it a full listen yet, but i can say that i'll appreciate it. i was reading an interview with kweli and he said somethingwhile talking about experimenting with hip hop, and said:

-Kweli Interview

But anyway, I was expecting Mos to come out with something different, as I have seen him change over the last couple of years.

On to the Kweli album, most people have been giving it bad reviews. I feel like he was also trying to do something new, and personally I see the same Kweli in this album that I saw in classics like Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Black Star and the Train of Thought album. The beats may be different, but that's a part of growing as an artist. What's the point of making music if you're going to do the same thing over and over, with no variation in your flow or beats. It's a challenge to find the right formula on an album, and although it may not be as good as the other 2 albums mentioned, it sure isn't as bad as people are making it out to be.
            good post

Comment

Originally posted by DetroitNicca
              The point is, IMO, Mos isn't even making good rock music, so you can't just throw out that "oh but it's good music and I appreciate good music" stuff.

just cause it's not the same "rock" music you hear everyday and on the radio doesn't mean it's not good...i'm listening to it right now, and from what i've heard so far (im only on like track 3), i like. it's a little blues-ey and kinda jazzy at the same time...its a nice album to just sit a chill to so far....def not something to "bump". but hey, that's just my opinion.
              ks

Comment

^^^ I can RELATE...also, i feelin' Mos Def track "Sex, Love & Money"
                TRUE HERO UNDER GOD

www.TRU 2DA GAME.com______

Comment

ok, i finished listening to it, and in my opinion it's a great album to sit and chill to. like not to get all crazy with blowin out your sub or anything...some songs are a little up beat and are like "woah" but i like it...its a nice change of pace album that you could have on when you're writing or doin work or something..
                  ks

Comment

Originally posted by DetroitNicca
                    a rock album is not what I expected from him.
                    that statement right there shows that you barely listened to the album, the first few tracks are rock and then there are a few more

theres like 6 rock tracks, and he raps on most of them i believe and about half the album is singing

I still haven't heard a good reason why people dislike this, most people expect a rap album then they hear it and they get pissed off...FYI: on about 40% of BOBS there was singing

not sure what you guys are expecting from Mos Def but he is making some really good music, doesn't matter what genre this is (Blues, Soul, R&B Hip Hop, Rock...) its a great album

if you don't like it then fine, but don't try to come up with bullshit reasons that make no sense

Comment

Originally posted by ZoG
                      that statement right there shows that you barely listened to the album, the first few tracks are rock and then there are a few more

theres like 6 rock tracks, and he raps on most of them i believe and about half the album is singing

I still haven't heard a good reason why people dislike this, most people expect a rap album then they hear it and they get pissed off...FYI: on about 40% of BOBS there was singing

not sure what you guys are expecting from Mos Def but he is making some really good music, doesn't matter what genre this is (Blues, Soul, R&B Hip Hop, Rock...) its a great album

if you don't like it then fine, but don't try to come up with bullshit reasons that make no sense
                      ^_^ good post...mos people expect him to do more shit like "Oh No..." i suppose. personally i think it's a really good album, not the same old shit that you hear and kinda what i expected from mos.
                      ks

Comment

Yep I really liked it, innovative is good.

Comment

can anyone hook it up wit ha dirty link?
                          Democracy is just a word when the people are starving- Immortal Technique

Comment

Originally posted by techimmortal
                            can anyone hook it up wit ha dirty link?
                            i too woul dlike the dirty version.
                            ks

Comment

I just got this...i'll tell you what it hink of it in a bit
                              http://www.last.fm/user/Real_Hip_Hop

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by touhidfiverr, Today, 09:23 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post touhidfiverr