Just Another Day at Fatbeats...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Another Day at Fatbeats...

i went to Fatbeats NYC last friday looking for the Q-Unique release on CD...i was told that they had it though they actually had only the vinyl not the CD...In looking back, the trip wasn't such a big waste because of the fact that i got to meet Lord Finesse...As i was waiting on line to ask if they had the album, Lord Finesse just came through and asked the kid at the register if they had a certain record...then he went towards the old school section of Fatbeats looking at some vinyl...though i was disappointed that i did not get my qunique CD, i did feel better when i finally got to meet the man who revolutionized punchlines in rap, discovered big L, produced for a tremendous amount of artists and is a member of D.I.T.C...i didn't get an autograph and i couldn't take a flick because i didn't have a camera (i wasnt expecting to meet anyone, i just wanted the CD), but i did give him a pound...so, a somewhat sour story (no qunique CD last friday) turned into a good one (meeting Lord Finesse)...

yesterday, monday, i did finally get the Qunique cd...its good; definitely very versatile and a little different path than most of the Arsonists material, and a lot of good beats mostly from q unique and necro, with some phase 1, context, and juju beats...my favorite joint is probably "one shot" (which is the verse that Qunique performed at the Ill Bill instore)...Q is a cool cat in person and puts on a good show; if you havent heard the joint hear it dammit!...

if any one is wondering what lord finesse looks like here's a picture from the internet, of lord finesse and biggie, from lordfinesse.net:

That's cool. Lord Finesse is amazing, one of my favorites. What's he doing these days? Wasn't he supposed to have a cd coming out this year with remixes of his old stuff? Does he have anything else coming out soon (or recently)?
    Oh its true, its true

Comment

I don't really know much about Lord Finesse. I downloaded "Funky Technician" about a year ago, and listened to a few songs, but then I lost my CD wallet and never bothered to download/listen to it again...

And, excuse me for being ignorant, but what do you mean when you say he "revolutionised punchlines in rap"... I'm afraid my hip hop history isn't what it should be :$
      OZ HIP HOP.COM
      THE RAP CELLA

Comment

Good stuff Tone, would have been the highlight of my week if it were me . You should have quickly snatched one of his records from the shelves, and got him to sign it.

Originally posted by Rondell*Beene
        I don't really know much about Lord Finesse. I downloaded "Funky Technician" about a year ago, and listened to a few songs, but then I lost my CD wallet and never bothered to download/listen to it again...

And, excuse me for being ignorant, but what do you mean when you say he "revolutionised punchlines in rap"... I'm afraid my hip hop history isn't what it should be
        When Lord Finesse started out, his rhyme style was unique - he was basically the first emcee to heavily pen punchlines in his spits, and use them to carry his verses; building on the way that Big Daddy Kane used them. He and Kane are the ones who set the blueprint for the millions of punchline emcees crawling out of the woodwork nowadays. Finesse is the reason Big L rhymed the way he did; he modelled his entire steez on Finesse's example, and even said so himself. The battle verses, the punchlines, the delivery, the arrogant swagger radiating with each word. It's all from Finesse.

The punchlines that Finesse used while pioneering the technique were not mind-blowing when compared to emcees like Chino XL, Big L, Ras Kass, etc... but without Finesse, none of these rappers would be rhyming the way they do (or did).
        If your life is easy, you're doing something wrong.

Comment

i dont know if fatbeats has any lord finesse records, but that would've been a good idea (although money is tight at the moment)...i didnt ask him about any upcoming projects; i just gave him a pound and went on my way because i didn't want to interrupt him too long since he was looking at some vinyl records...i dont know if he has anything dropping but he probably does...

and for the "revolutionizing punchlines in rap" line, drex explained it already...but if you listen to an album like Funky Technician, especially if you know that it came out in 89 (or 90; i get confused with the years), you would see how he helped pave the way for all of these punchline-happy rappers...for that era, what finesse was kicking was real serious...you can't compare the actual rhymes he kicked back then to the rhymes from today, but you can compare them in the sense of their impact; finesse had more impact than these punchline rappers today...he paved the way...
          Last edited by Tone Riggz; 10-20-2004, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Yep about the punchlines. Just out of curiousity Tone, what record did he ask for?
            Oh its true, its true

Comment

Wasn't he supposed to have a cd coming out this year with remixes of his old stuff?
              "From The Files To The Crates...Lost Sessions" came out last year if that's what you are talking about! I picked it up a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrizz
                "From The Files To The Crates...Lost Sessions" came out last year if that's what you are talking about! I picked it up a couple of weeks ago.
                Na I have that already, I was thinking of something else, but I may have been mistaken.
                Oh its true, its true

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndroundko
                  Na I have that already, I was thinking of something else, but I may have been mistaken.
                  I'm pretty sure the album you were thinking of was "Funky Technician - The Remix Project". It hasn't been put out yet, and I haven't come across a concrete release date - Finesse's official site still says 'Coming Soon.' It was originally meant to have a late 2004 release, but I'm not sure whether or not that's still the case.
                  If your life is easy, you're doing something wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Tone Riggz
                    if any one is wondering what lord finesse looks like here's a picture from the internet, of lord finesse and biggie, from lordfinesse.net:

Which one is "Lord Finesse"?

LMAO just playing,

yea man, that is so crazy, ur lucky you meet so many people, I haven't met anyone...

Nice man propz thanks for posting this.
                    +ALL FATES HAVE CHANGED+ NOW UR IN A +POOL OF BLOOD+,
                    JUST ASK +JUS ALLAH+ & +ALLAH JUSTICE+ THEY KNO Y I'M COVERED IN MUD!/

Comment

nice man..lord finesse was amazing...
                      i wish i met someone like him
                      too bad you didnt get an autograph or pic tho
                      and the q-unique albums great i've been listening to it a lot lately.
                      I'd have to say my favorite song is "the set up"
                      then, "This Thing of Ours"
                      but "One Shot" is a top song too.

sounds like a nice trip
                      http://www.last.fm/user/Real_Hip_Hop

Comment

Originally posted by Drex
                        I'm pretty sure the album you were thinking of was "Funky Technician - The Remix Project". It hasn't been put out yet, and I haven't come across a concrete release date - Finesse's official site still says 'Coming Soon.' It was originally meant to have a late 2004 release, but I'm not sure whether or not that's still the case.

Yeah, I think that is what I had heard about. Thanks for the release info.
                        Oh its true, its true

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndroundko
                          Yep about the punchlines. Just out of curiousity Tone, what record did he ask for?

i couldn't hear...he sort of kept a low profile, but he did ask for a record because the cat at the cash register said something like, "whats up lord finesse, yea we got that record"...

Comment

Sweet.
                            On the corner where struggle and greed fight
                            We write songs about wrong 'cause it's hard to see right
                            Look to the sky hoping it will be light
                            Reality's a bitch and I heard that she bites

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by cbdoilcanzanauk, Today, 12:54 AM
                            0 responses
                            1 view
                            0 likes