Indie Rap---question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indie Rap---question

prolly a stupid question, but what is indie rap?? i assumed its short for independent but im not totally sure
    "Mommy's little monster. don't wake him in a fit"

yes it is....aka underground
    http://www.last.fm/user/Real_Hip_Hop

Comment

canibus is underground? damn... didnt he make a video for his mainstream single second round k.o.? sounds pretty above ground to me ; )

Comment

canibus is one of the kinda middle people
        some others like that would be Royce da 5'9...been on mtv with music videos but many consider him underground
        others would be like mos def, talib kweli, tech n9ne...etc...it's hard to really say if they are above or underground

Comment

technically its rap that belongs to an independent label, though its often confused with underground...independent labels can be commercial; they aren't necessarily underground although most underground labels are independent...

an example: cormega was once signed to def jam, but now has his own independent label, Legal Hustle...

Comment

Originally posted by Absolut Kaos
            canibus is underground? damn... didnt he make a video for his mainstream single second round k.o.? sounds pretty above ground to me ; )

That's because he was on a major record label when he put out Can-i-bus. He has put out his last three albums on independant labels.
            Oh its true, its true

Comment

Notice RTJ, Mic Club, and 2000 BC were a lot better than can-i-bus.

Comment

Originally posted by Tone Riggz
                independent labels can be commercial; they aren't necessarily underground
                I'd use the term "underground" almost interchangably with the term "independent".
                Otherwise you end up in the problematic territory of having to define "underground" in terms of it's content/sound (which is difficult because what we describe as "underground" hip hop varies so much), or its popularity.

Can you give me an example of an independent rapper, who isn't "underground"?
                Try and choose one that has never been on a major label, just so the case is clear cut...
                OZ HIP HOP.COM
                THE RAP CELLA

Comment

Originally posted by Real_Hip_Hop
                  Notice RTJ, Mic Club, and 2000 BC were a lot better than can-i-bus.

True, but 2000 BC was also released on a major. It was released on universal. His crappiest album was released while he was independant, CTHS.
                  Oh its true, its true

Comment

Originally posted by Rondell*Beene
                    I'd use the term "underground" almost interchangably with the term "independent".
                    Otherwise you end up in the problematic territory of having to define "underground" in terms of it's content/sound (which is difficult because what we describe as "underground" hip hop varies so much), or its popularity.

Can you give me an example of an independent rapper, who isn't "underground"?
                    Try and choose one that has never been on a major label, just so the case is clear cut...

well, def jam is actually an independent label, though it is commercial...and it has many branches of smaller labels tied to it...

Comment

^ Isn't Def Jam part of the Island/Def Jam group which harbours smaller labels like Island, Def Jam, Roadrunnder, Roc-A-Fella, Murder Inc, and artists like Hoobastank, Sum 41, Elvis Costello, The Killers, Mariah Carey, Creed, Nickelback, Jay-Z, Ja Rule etc. etc. etc.

I would consider that a major label... I mean, I don't think any of those artists would class themselves as "indie"... or are we talking about "major labels" as a group containing particular labels only (ie. Interscope, Sony, Virgin), and "indie" as any label which falls outside that
                      OZ HIP HOP.COM
                      THE RAP CELLA

Comment

Originally posted by Rondell*Beene
                        ^ Isn't Def Jam part of the Island/Def Jam group which harbours smaller labels like Island, Def Jam, Roadrunnder, Roc-A-Fella, Murder Inc, and artists like Hoobastank, Sum 41, Elvis Costello, The Killers, Mariah Carey, Creed, Nickelback, Jay-Z, Ja Rule etc. etc. etc.

I would consider that a major label... I mean, I don't think any of those artists would class themselves as "indie"... or are we talking about "major labels" as a group containing particular labels only (ie. Interscope, Sony, Virgin), and "indie" as any label which falls outside that

hmmm...well to say the least when it started, def jam was an indie label...

although no limit (which is why necro used to, i dont know if he still does, looked up to master p, because he became successful through his own independent label), bad boy, cash money are better examples of commercially successful independent labels...perhaps my def jam example wasn't the best example although, i dont consider def jam in the same vein as interscope, sony, etc...

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by tkaxec, 09-24-2020, 11:10 AM
                        1 response
                        0 likes
                        Last Post Smilert
                        by Smilert

Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 12:02 PM