The "Underground Hip Hop" Forum Suggestion Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Underground Hip Hop" Forum Suggestion Box

I decided to make this thread so that this forum doesn't die.

As most people probably noticed, this forum went bezerk in its first week or so. People uploaded the entire discographys of Rjd2, Non-Phixion, Aesop Rock, Cannibal Ox, Louis Logic, Immortal Technique, Atmosphere, J-Zone, Demigodz, Necro, Diverse, C-Rayz Walz, Murs, Outerspace, MF Doom, Little Brother, Cage, Canibus, Aceyalone, Copywrite, Royce Da 5'9", Eyedea, Talib Kweli, Jedi Mind Tricks, Copywrite, Mos Def, Chino XL, Mr. Lif, Sage Francis and Kool Keith... and then it kinda died.

After all the underground "household names" were moved through, the forum took a dip... people started posting links that had already been posted, and discussion became minimal (the majority of people who have posted in this forum so far have only written either "Thanks" or "Re-Up plz")

Now I believe that this forum could easily survive in the long term, however, it needs to get more of a discussion focus. This forum wasn't created to be a second music links forum.

So this is the suggestion box... a place to discuss your ideas to improve this forum... here are my ideas.

Ideas
    1. Inject Discussion Into Link Threads
      I think when anyone posts a link to an album, with it, they should give some information about who the artist is, what kind of album it is, and what they think of it. This will do a bunch of things...
      Firstly, it will stop link threads from being filled with one word replies (eg "thanks!", "re-up", "cool")
      Secondly, it will mean link threads can serve two purposes, they can both provide people with a link, and be the beginning of a potential discussion.
      Thirdly, it will give downloaders an idea of what they are downloading... I am getting incredibly frustrated with threads entitled "NEw Canadian GRouP!?", "check this out and tell me wat u tink!" or "masters of da old skool vol. 1", with nothing but a link. I mean, who the fuck are this Canadian group? What is the tracklist? What is the album called? Are they popular? What label are they on? I'd love to know more about the Canadian hip hop scene, but give me some fucking clues here. And what in the name of Christ is "masters of da old skool vol. 1"? A compilation? Did you make it, or has it been properly produced? Who's on it? What do you think about it? etc etc etc.
      In each of my link threads, I have tried to provide an insight into who the artist is, what the album is like, and why I think people should download it. As a result of this, even though the albums I've posted haven't been by popular/well-known artists, people have downloaded them and taken the time to reply with their thoughts/criticisms.
    2. Ignore/Delete Request Threads
      I think all independent request threads should be ignored by everyone (that is, nobody should fill the requests in these threads), and when noticed by a mod, they should be immediately deleted. There is a perfectly decent "Request" thread to house all requests. Nobody's single request demands an entire thread to itself.
    3. Pick An Area Of Expertise, and Regularly Post
      I think some of the better, and more regular posters in this forum (eg. Chrizz, Drex, Tone Riggz, Mista Sinista, Real_Hip_Hop, 2ndroundko, xemceekahnx, DesertTree313, [email protected], AgenTGeneV, sniper etc) should perhaps pick an area of expertise (a label? a subgenre? a country/state's hip hop scene? etc.) and regularly post about it... I know some of you know have a great degree of expertise in areas like the UK underground, Detroit underground or New York underground, and labels like Rhymesayers, Definitive Jux, Babygrande etc. etc. etc. Certain people could focus on news, others on reviews, others on opinion writing, others on finding the newest links, others on digging through the crates for old shit we missed... And if we all kept our eye on something in particular, we would have losts more to learn/talk about.
    4. Delete Links To Recently Posted Music
      I think threads providing links to albums which are obviously easily obtainable through file-sharing networks (eg. Royce Da 5'9's "Rock City" and "Death Is Certain", Immortal Technique's "Revolutionary vol. 2" and Eminem's "Infinite") should be immediately deleted... so should threads providing links to albums which were posted yesterday (I know in a lot of cases the person posting the link is trying to help, but were they simply to search the forum they would notice existing, and sometimes already working links)
    5. Sticky This Thread
      I think this thread should be stickied :D

Anyway, if anyone has anymore suggestions, or anything to say about the ones I've already mentioned (agree or disagree)... post them.

We need to commit to making this forum better.
    Last edited by Rondell*Beene; 10-21-2004, 05:57 PM.
    OZ HIP HOP.COM
    THE RAP CELLA

Yea those are some great ideas

Sticky this!

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today"

You couldn't make headlines with raised eyebrows

Comment

yea i agree you got some good ideas there
      maybe all the leechers from the hip hop forum will stop doing all this
      http://www.last.fm/user/Real_Hip_Hop

Comment

very good thread, as i'd like to get more into the undergrounds scene...
        ks

Comment

Agreed
          There is a power so organized so subtle so watchful so interlocked so complete so pervasive that they better not speak above their breath when they speak in condemnation of it.
          Woodrow Wilson

Comment

We need an FTP dump, so all these albums can simply be uploaded there, and ppl can get access, this would avoid the amount of threads where ppl post stuff thats already been uploaded, links are unlikely to die etc. Someone with a hella fast connection get on this...

Well thats my idea anyway Then the discussions can begin.

Comment

This should be stickied.

To be perfectly honest, I have already grown a bit frustrated with the Underground Rap forum. With the exception of a few posters, it is getting kind of tiresome to search through the threads (the same as it was in the original Hip Hop forum, although on a smaller scale). Every other day there is someone asking for Canibus, Royce, IT albums. I definitely agree that people need to ignore the seperate request threads, they clutter up the forum and it is annoying that people think that their request is so special that it deserves its own thread. I wish people would get soulseek or some of the other p2p programs and look up some of these easily obtainable albums themselves.

Anyhow, all great points, I especially agree with the first one, Rondell's music links are almost always the best and one of the main reasons I still come into the forum. For one, they are albums that I generally haven't heard yet, or not as well known. Secondly, I enjoy the information that he gives along with the link, its nice to know a bit about the album you are going to listen to. It does usually increase the length of peoples response as well. They usually at least give a bit of feedback on the album, rather than the general "thanks" or "props."

Another thing is that it would be nice, if in the actual request thread, people would delete their request if it was filled. It would cut down on the number of pages, making people more willing to go in there and look.
              Oh its true, its true

Comment

Originally posted by Rondell*Beene
                [*]Pick An Area Of Expertise, and Regularly Post
                I think some of the better, and more regular posters in this forum (eg. Chrizz, Drex, Tone Riggz, Mista Sinista, Real_Hip_Hop, 2ndroundko, xemceekahnx, DesertTree313, [email protected], AgenTGeneV, sniper etc) should perhaps pick an area of expertise (a label? a subgenre? a country/state's hip hop scene? etc.) and regularly post about it... I know some of you know have a great degree of expertise in areas like the UK underground, Detroit underground or New York underground, and labels like Rhymesayers, Definitive Jux, Babygrande etc. etc. etc. Certain people could focus on news, others on reviews, others on opinion writing, others on finding the newest links, others on digging through the crates for old shit we missed... And if we all kept our eye on something in particular, we would have losts more to learn/talk about.

Agreeeeed. I said that in a suggestion thread beforehand, too.

Comment

Great suggestions, pretty much everything I was thinking myself.

It's very important this doesn't become just another Music Links thread.

Album threads should be about discussion, not re-ups.

Instead of just putting a link up, start the discussion and offer to send the link to the album by PM to those who want it.
                  On the corner where struggle and greed fight
                  We write songs about wrong 'cause it's hard to see right
                  Look to the sky hoping it will be light
                  Reality's a bitch and I heard that she bites

Comment

Yer sticky this...

Totally agree on most of it...

All request threads should be ignored... unless the album is fairly new it should be piss easy to find... and more times then not if its new it will already be posted here or in the music links section...

And I like that idea about posting regular on groups/artists you are familiar with...

I try to keep people up to date on the Pyscho+Logical-Records & Uncle Howie Records releases...

You dealt with shady shit? I dealt with shady shit
                    But I'm the only one can truely say I dealt with Shady's shit!

Comment

yea i agree rondell beene, i also would like more info on some artist here and it would also be nice to see a pic of them u know.but good suggestions man
                      http://www.cashcrate.com/280596
                      MAKE EASY MONEY ONLINE, REALLY, ITS EASY ASSHOLES

Comment

(to Rondelle Beene)

Yo man I fully agree and I will posts my suggestions here once i come across something.

But one thing can be use my thread...

***Underground Hip Hop Questions*** which is for getting people educated in certian things... like if someone has a small question about an artist then they should ask it or if they want to kno something like "when is Gortex's album coming out?" and stuff like that and people must comtribute to the answers too not just post ur questions and leave... cuz then the thread will die. I feel this will stop stupid threads about if someone has heard Immortal Technique before or stupid shit like that.

I have one thing to point out to you that i had a small problem was:

Originally posted by Rondell*Beene
                        I think some of the better, and more regular posters in this forum (eg. Chrizz, Drex, Tone Riggz, Mista Sinista, Real_Hip_Hop, 2ndroundko, xemceekahnx, DesertTree313, [email protected], AgenTGeneV, sniper etc)
                        My only objection is, where #&@* am I? lol j/k.

Peace Keep this forum alive people.

I always come here and post in threads and come bak like 4 hours later and expect a lot that I missed but nothing has changed.

A reason for this dieing out is also cuz a few people I know here have started new work and I and many others have started back up to skool... But I still regularly post here like ever day and pretty much only in this forum but if nothing has changed and I have nothing to contribute then I go to another forum...
                        Last edited by JULZ13; 10-22-2004, 08:23 PM.
                        +ALL FATES HAVE CHANGED+ NOW UR IN A +POOL OF BLOOD+,
                        JUST ASK +JUS ALLAH+ & +ALLAH JUSTICE+ THEY KNO Y I'M COVERED IN MUD!/

Comment

Uppin until this gets stickied.
                          Originally posted by cz81725
                          ScrotumLicker is one of the greatest Names i came across on the board, i wish i woulda thought of it
                          Mad homo CZ wants to lick scrotums.

Comment

People should check this out one more time.
                            Originally posted by Deon
                            Can easily make threads with 1k+ views and 100+ comments

Comment

the underground artist info thread needs to be stickied.
                              Last edited by IslamicMarksman; 02-15-2005, 10:12 PM.
                              What I'm Listening To

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Heridan, 08-26-2020, 09:00 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Monret
                              by Monret