My Review of The Odd Couple's "Alcohol/Ism"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Review of The Odd Couple's "Alcohol/Ism"

In Hollywood, the majority of the actors that win a big prize go on to make a mistake in their career before they get back to good movies; look at Halle Berry’s Catwoman, for example. In the music business, the same thing regularly happens after an artist drops an incredible album (It Was Written, anyone?). Last year, Louis Logic announced that his project following his debut album would be a collaboration with J-Love. At the time, I didn’t sweat it; I was still reeling from the excellence of Sin-A-Matic and I was confident that Lou could make something excellent no matter whom he was sharing the microphone with. Now I’ve got the finished product from the two underground emcees, and it’s certainly not what I was expecting.

Intro – The opener starts off with a good sample, but it’s way too long and has as much actual substance as a Ronald Reagan speech. The fast forward button gets its first push, and it will not be the last.

Double Fisted – Lou and Jay approach this song like Run DMC and take turns spitting lines that aren’t much more than your average battle rap. It’s worth noting that Lou’s lines are better than Jay’s though; it’s something you’ll notice a lot throughout Alcohol/Ism. Another reoccurring thing is Jay’s use of played out punch lines: “we tight like teen virgins.” If I had a penny for every time I’ve heard that line, I could actually afford to buy this album instead of downloading it. The production on this track isn’t magnificent but it’ll suffice; the same goes for the chorus, which is kind of like Diablos except…worse.

Wreck Ya Life – Before you even know what’s going on, your ears are assaulted by this track’s horrible singing, courtesy of God knows whom. Luckily, it’s over faster than you can fumble with your cd player and find the ff button. The beat on this song is horrendous during the verses, and excellent during the hook, thanks to the sampled guitars or whatever they are. JJ Brown drops in for a guest verse, which is boring and pointless. After the just-plain-stupid chorus, Louis drops in and does his best to save the track, before Jay grasps the microphone and destroys everything that the previous verse had managed. His verse is overly misogynistic, unfunny, and it uses several of the played out rhymes in 2ndroundko’s thread. Boo.

Beat Your Ass - The production here sounds like RZA in his 36 chamber days if he sucked. I was genuinely surprised by how Jay manages not to stink on his verse, even though Lou outshines him once again. The choruses are good when Lou is handling them, and stupid and clichéd when Jay’s spitting. On the final verse, they tag-team rap again, and do an excellent job of it. It’s kind of reminiscent of Revenge because of how well the lyrics’ rhyme scheme intertwines.

Old Rasputin – After a long skit that was especially designed to tick me off, one of the best beats on the album kicks in. This beat is uplifted to great heights in quality by the unique chanting samples. Lou’s opening verse is unique, but then he stumbles into braggadocios rhymes that I’m tired of. The hook makes up for this however, because both the rapping and the humming in the background are excellent. Jay does his mediocre verse and mandatory whack line (“cut you up and bag you like an ounce of cocaine”). By this point, I started to notice that the constant talk of drinking is getting tired. It was good for a Factotum or two, but I need more variety. The only people I can think of that can make a whole album about getting lifted and having it be good is the Leak Brothers.

Tommy Boy – Another good song begins with a great beat that is assisted by a well-placed soul sample. Lou and Jay drop good storytelling verses; their lyrics are very vivid and let you visualize the situations that they’re speaking of while the verse continues. Bravo to both of them.

Between Your Legs – My favorite part about this song is the production, which uses a subtle sample to really sound original and different from anything else on the album. Another good thing about this track is the chorus, which has good singing courtesy of Louis (I think). The bad thing about the song is the verses; they’re dull rehash of Coochie Coupe, with loads of euphemisms and innuendo, minus the creativity and humor.

Open The Mic - The mandatory posse cut of this album has an excellent beat that wouldn’t sound out of place on any 7L & Esoteric album. Jay starts off with his usual rap about how if they had pimp Olympics he would win the medal. Seriously. Celph Titled comes in next, and does his usual use of double entendres and clever punch lines to hide the fact that he has no flow at all and should stop rapping. Lou’s verse has pretty redundant content, but his rhyme scheme is at its best and he has a pretty good final line, which is the only thing that everybody remembers about from battle raps anyway. J Zone has the fourth verse; he showcases his excellence presence on the mic, but doesn’t flex much of his lyrical muscle. JJ Brown’s verse is horrible; he sounds like a weak member of the ROC.

Pimp Shit - This is the worst song yet. It’s yet another song about women, drinking, and drug use, and it’s despicable. It has all the components of a whack song: boring lyrics, boring production, and an annoying chorus. Not even Lou’s alright second verse can save this stinker.

Day I Was Born (Remix) – This track has a mediocre beat that sounds straight out of the G-Unit’s Beg For Mercy. Once again, the mischievous pair spit battle rhymes, but they actually do a pretty good job of it. Against all odds, this track gets a thumb up.

Simple Words – Two words: excellent beat. Really, this is probably the best-produced song on the album. J Love opens with a good battle rap verse, and then the track is knocked out of the ballpark by the great sampling of Shook Ones on the hook, DJ Premier style. Louis Logic has the humorous second verse, and he shares the third one with Jay once again. This set up is getting pretty repetitive, but I don’t care thanks to the beat.

Bully – Louis gets his solo track; he’s an excellent MC and J-Love is not holding him back, so this should be pure fire, right? Wrong. Lou’s verses are very disappointing, and some of his worst on this album. The chorus is absolutely terrible, with lyrics that sound like Bow Wow could have written them. The only saving grace is the beat, which sounds like a lesser Just Blaze produced it. For shame, Louis.

Too Much Heat – The biggest surprise of the album comes hot on the heels of the biggest disappointment. J-Love announces how “hungry” he is at the beginning of his solo track, and he manages to finally prove it. This track contains his finest verses on all of Alcohol/Ism; they're pure battle rhymes, like many of his others, except much better. His rhyme style on the second verse is kind of like a ’99 Slim Shady’s, with the entire sentences that rhyme and such. Despite the greatness, he still slips into an incredibly whack line; convincing me that it might be his idea of a gimmick or something. But no matter how bad that line is, it still can’t hurt this song. The beat is pretty simplistic, and it lets the verses shine; think Jadakiss’s Kiss of Death (the song, not the album). The chorus is, like Simple Words, a DJ cutting in phrases from other rap songs that service the track very well. At the end of the third verse, the beat goes away, leaving Jay rhyming acapella for a few seconds. By the time it’s over, you’ll be floored by how good Jay can be.

The Lounge – Unfortunately for the listener, after Too Much Heat, the album nosedives into mediocrity. The Lounge is the first of a trio of banally bland tracks. It’s beat sounds like background music to an episode of Spongebob Squarepants. The chorus and the verses are all boring, repetitive rewordings of anything that has been said before on the album.

Por Que – Here, whoever the producer is tries to sample a Spanish singer, but he proves that those types of samples should be left to Stoupe. Lou’s verse is a weak remake of Factotum, and Jay relapses into whackness. The hook annoys me by biting the concept to Jadakiss’s Why.

Day I Was Born – This track’s verses and hook are exactly the same as its remix; the only difference is that the beat is noticeably more annoying here. Why it was included on the album should be addressed on the chorus of the previous song.

The Odd Couple remind of the G Unit. They have one guy who’s really talented (Louis Logic/Lloyd Banks), but he keeps getting dragged down by his weak counterparts (J-Love/Tony Yayo-Young Buck-50 Cent). On Beg For Mercy, you had to skip through most of the verses to get to the rare good ones, as you do on Alcohol/Ism. I can only hope Louis Logic cuts off some of the dead weight before any more of his music is ruined.
    Last edited by Luis T.I.; 10-30-2004, 04:50 PM.
    NEPatriots 3x World Champions
    UNC Basketball 5x National Champions
    Charlotte Bobcats UHHHHHHH

Good review once again, I only listened to the album once so far, so may not be able to comment on it as well as you, but I think I was liking it a bit better than you. Wreckyalife was my least favorite track, I really couldn't stand it. I couldn't stand the beat on Bully either, even though you apparently did. That beat seriously pissed me off. Nice intelligent review again though, I always enjoy reading your reviews. I need to go listen to the album again.

Edit - by the way, not only intelligent, but funny as well.

"The production here sounds like RZA in his 36 chamber days if he sucked" lmao. Just one example of the many funny lines in the review.
    Last edited by 2ndroundko; 10-30-2004, 03:52 PM.
    Oh its true, its true

Comment

LMAO at those lines man u made me laugh out loud like 8 or 9 times. good review, intelligent out of 10 overall wut would u give it?

I have heard it a few times I think I enjoyed it a bit more then you, but it was still kind of a dissapointment, still not a bad album...

Peace

keep up the good reviews and good humour!
      +ALL FATES HAVE CHANGED+ NOW UR IN A +POOL OF BLOOD+,
      JUST ASK +JUS ALLAH+ & +ALLAH JUSTICE+ THEY KNO Y I'M COVERED IN MUD!/

Comment

i don't like this review...you're hating too much and comparing it to G-unit which doesn't make sense

although the album isn't that great...its actually a pretty fun album to listen to

bottom line: don't take this album too seriously cause its not supposed to be serious

Comment

I enjoyed the album as i did your review

Comment

Originally posted by ZoG
            i don't like this review...you're hating too much and comparing it to G-unit which doesn't make sense

although the album isn't that great...its actually a pretty fun album to listen to

bottom line: don't take this album too seriously cause its not supposed to be serious
            True but this was a good interview cuz it was soo fuckin funni and he was right in a lot of points.
            +ALL FATES HAVE CHANGED+ NOW UR IN A +POOL OF BLOOD+,
            JUST ASK +JUS ALLAH+ & +ALLAH JUSTICE+ THEY KNO Y I'M COVERED IN MUD!/

Comment

or review rather than interview...

Comment

I explained why I compared it to G Unit, but I'm glad that you have your own opinion.

Thanks for the comments, and I would give this album a 6 out of 10.

Comment

Another honest and funny review by Luis T.
                  If you haven't lost your faith in all hip hop, make sure to drop another one some time.

As to the album... The first time I heard "Pimp Shit" and "Por Que", neither struck me as anything special. In fact, it was only when it was announced that Louis Logic & Jay Love were coming together for a full-length "Odd Couple" project, that I went back to properly listen to them.
                  At first I was kind of dissapointed... Jay Love is one of those emcees that rhymes his words well, but never says anything interesting or worth remembering; the assonance, and multisyllabic rhymes (etc.) just breeze by as if they weren't there at all. Louis Logic is noticably more talented, but he's not spitting at anywhere near the calibre that he did (or should I say, in regards to the oldness of these tracks "will later") on "Sin-A-Matic".

Then norvillerogers sent me "Double Fisted". I wasn't too impressed.
                  It seemed like Lou and Jay were putting so much effort into the "taking turns" approach, that neither had time to fit in a decent punch line.

That said, when I got this album finally, I enjoyed it a lot.
                  Most of the tracks on it are far better than the three previously mentioned.

I was heavily anticipating this album.
                  But after hearing it, and recognising that it wasn’t world-changing material, I realised that wasn't ever expecting that much of it.
                  All I wanted were some good J.J Brown beats, decent rhymes, the occasional concept, a bit of story telling, and some laughs.
                  Just like you’d expect out of one of Louis Logic’s bootleg albums.
                  And I think the album delivered.

In conclusion, I’m satisfied.
                  This album was better than a lot of the hip hop releases this year, but is not one of the best
                  I’m still waiting for this years “classic” hip hop release (MF Doom seems like the only hope left). And I’m still waiting to see whether Louis Logic can live up to the high standard he set for himself the day he dropped “Sin-A-Matic”, on his next solo full-length.
                  OZ HIP HOP.COM
                  THE RAP CELLA

Comment

I will definitely be doing reviews on Encore, Street's Disciple, and maybe I'll do one on Real Talk if I can find a damn working link.

By the way, do you think you could do a short review of American Idiot in the general section or in a PM, Mark? I'm very interested in what you thought of it...

Comment

^ Okay, when I hand in all my essays and do my exams (about a week and a half), I'll try and drop a review :D

Also, you should try and do a review on Blockhead's "Music By Cavelight". Or at least give me your thoughts. I'd be interested in seeing if you think it's better than Rjd2's "Since We Last Spoke".
                      It should be available on SoulSeek (at least, that's where I originally got it from).
                      And if you can't get the whole thing, make sure to get "Insomniac Olympics".
                      That song is one of my favourites of the year, and one of my favourite instrumental tracks of all time.
                      OZ HIP HOP.COM
                      THE RAP CELLA

Comment

Searching for it now...

Comment

^ If you tell me your SoulSeek name, you can download it direct from me now...
                          OZ HIP HOP.COM
                          THE RAP CELLA

Comment

luist88

Comment

i have to say funny review , but you probably just took some money out of there pocket cause i was going to buy this album but after reading the review it's probably not worth it, so ill just download it save me some cash. by the way anybody hear that louis logic mixtape( blame it on the hooch ) it has a bunch of lost tracks & shit, i saw it on hiphopsite.com ?
                              Last edited by psycho-logical; 11-01-2004, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by touhidfiverr, Today, 05:13 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post touhidfiverr  
                              Started by cbdoilcanzanauk, Today, 12:54 AM
                              0 responses