Blackalicious "The Craft" REVIEW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackalicious "The Craft" REVIEW

Being a fan of Blackalicious ever since NIA dropped in 2000, I hold this group in high regards. Blackalicious is a group like no other. They never followed any trends, they just collaborate to put a pure sound that no one can duplicate. Chief Xcel is a fiend for blending sounds and samples that melt into a complex yet addictive flavor. Gift of Gab uses flows that are complex yet not forced and also has a calming baritone that soothes even the toughest thug. Sometimes when Gift rhymes I just think this dude is riding a wave when he spits because he just flows so smooth and rides the beat so well.
    So its 2005 and Gift and Chief come back for another journey into the minds of Blackalicious and this time they are at peak form.

Unlike their previous intros, this time on "World Of Vibrations", the beat comes on and Gift starts flowing. I remember seeing an interview with Chief where he said he made complex beats on this album but at the same time kept a certain melody. With an addictive rhythm with slices of a Rza like guitar(think Gza "Cold World" only thing I can compare it to)....Chief adds little unique sounds to keep the interest of the listener. Gift's flow is on point as usual and put a smile on my face to hear something so freshing. The chorus is dope with a Outkast sorta falsettos. "Supreme People" jumps on with a dope refrain from Gift saying "SU- PRME" spliced in with a little kid saying "supreme supreme" ending with scratches with Cheif and a sample of "people"......Gift talking about people who have to go by no means necessary to survive...kinda reminds me of peeps in New Orleans now.......love the transition to "Rhythm Sticks"....a classic joint with a unique flavor......love the drum pattern and Gift spelling of BLACKALICIOUS........now we go to "Powers"...one of my favorite joints on the album....Gift blesses us with 2 verses of his sultry singing and ends with a quick rap......song reminds me a little of Andre 3000....song talks about women with those POWWEERSSSS........this song might surprise non blackalicious fans...but not their cult following lol........Damnnn.... "Your Move".....love the drum pattern with the guitar whooaaaaaa.........Gift just shows off here....no need to explain more......"Lotus Flower"...a George Clinton inspired track.....love the chorus...nice harmony.....Gift's flow is incredibleeeeeeeee.....he switches flows on each track and this is my favorite flow......really unique....and the thing is he keeps it the whole track...not just 1 or 2 bars....shit is dope......"My Pen and Pad"...short track...love the complexity of the beat near the end.....Gift shows off again....oh wait...thats my time lol............"Side To Side"....beat is tight with a simple piano loop with trumpets coming in to make the groove thump....check how GIft comes in the 2nd verse and kicks the fuck out the beat......."Automatique"....my second favorite joint....love the female chorus and rap....beat is one my favorites on the album...real chill joint........"The Fall and Rise of Elliot Brown"....self explanatory.....this song hear is that typical WOW joint by Blackalicious...just doing their thing....switching up the tempo....love the switch up to the main beat with a dope piano and flaring drum pattern...Gift just amazes me on this track......"Black Diamonds and Pearls", first time I heard this I just feel in love with it...real chill joint....shittt by this time you should have pre ordered the album or downloaded it...shit is just so fresh......my third favorite track "Give it to you"....LOVE the chorus....unique harmony....love the lazy flow by Gift....."Ego Sonic Wardrums", this track is what you are expecting...some sonic blending mind fucking shit....vocals comes from all ends and speakers....hahah Gift was like Harry Potter....."The Craft"....damn what a beat on this track...I want to know what Chief sample on this shit....Gift talking about his gift and how he just fucks the mic everytime hes on.....beat is B-A-N-A-N-A-S...........

So after hearing the album about 10 times from front to back...I find something new and exciting everytime I play any track on the lp......Gift and Chief just put so much effort and time in their work and it shows....it took over 2 years for them to create this album and it just adds another consistent, innovative record to their discography......Blackalicious needs to be in the same limelight as any legendary producer/MC team........If you never heard of Blackalicious please download this album and listen to it from the beginning to end just to witness what Kanye wishes he could do on the beats and how he could rap....The Craft is 100x a musical masterpiece that critics say Late Registration is.......album of the year for me for now....until Torture Papers comes out anywayz lol
    Too much..I'm tired..In the company of...those that fear

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by swaraj7698, 03-07-2020, 06:12 AM
6 responses
0 likes
Last Post everest
by everest

Started by Petertrtrt, Today, 04:00 AM