HIP HOP LIFESTYLE

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you feel about Common's interracial dating remarks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you feel about Common's interracial dating remarks?

In Britian during a magazine interview Common said that black men shouldn't date white women and that if a black man had dreads and was with a white woman he was being a bigot and going against what the hair stands for.

I had a black girlfriend with dreads, so I feel kind of like this effects me enough to bring it up. Obviously I'm all for interracial dating, marriage, and whatever else.

My questions are: What do you think of Common's remarks? Do you agree with him?

just thought I'd try to bring some discussion to the forum. Peace.

there was a thread about this in the general or news section with an actual article. He was my reply:

The dreadlocks lost almost all significance when they just became a global trend of cool hair do. I read the links provided and i see where common might be coming from, but you really can't justify the racists statements with a symbol that has been tarnished by 12 year old boys around the world.

If you would ask a random person who has dreadlocks on the street he probably wouldn't know what they stand for. With all that said i'm all for interracial dating as it is breaking the barriers that have been erected between the races. I think a stance of black pride where you refuse to date the white race is only throwing us back to an age of segregation.

Comment

Sorry, I hadn't realized this was on D12World, I read it on the Non-Prophets forum. In any case, the likelyhood of an intelligent discussion is much higher here because of the personal selection of coming to this sub forum in the first place.

Comment

Well I've been in 4 long term relationships and they've all been with women of a different race then mine. I was a bit surprised Common said something like that as it sounds like an ignorant thing to say. Him saying that is no worse then a KKK member saying his daughter can't date any minority or else she's disgracing the white sheets and what they stand for.
        Originally posted by Deon
        Can easily make threads with 1k+ views and 100+ comments

Comment

"Black men walking wit white girls on they arms
          I be mad at em as if I know they moms
          Told to go beyond the surface, a person's a person
          When we lessen our women our condition seems to worsen" Common
          Minnesota Vikings needs in the offseason

- QB

- Re-sign Sidney Rice

- Defensive Backs

Comment

In reaction to Common's recent comments disapproving of interracial dating, several heated UK rappers recorded a response track, where among other terms called the Chicago rapper "a racist beeyatch."

Common, an emcee known for his conscious image, recently revealed to Touch Magazine (The UK's leading urban music publication) that he objected to mixed race relations. He specifically said he opposed black men with dreadlocks dating white women because these men would be "going against what the dreadlocks purpose was."

After reading the interview rappers Rising Son, Yungun, and Doc Brown decided to address the comments rhyming over the beat for Common's "The Corner." All of the emcees come from mixed races and felt personally attacked.

On the track, titled "Dear Common (The Corner Dub)," Rising calls the Chicago emcee "a racist beeyatch." Yungun adds fuel to the fire spitting "I liked your words but it's hard to believe in 'em now/ and I'm a friendly type of guy I want peace to abound/ problem is though, if I ever see you around/ I'ma have to stop Rising from beating you down/ because he wants to slay ya/ show ya how you turn a concious rapper/ into a fully unconscious rapper." He continues saying. "I quote'sellout like a dred and a white girl,' shocking/ I thought that who you date is a personal option/ and who made you think you're the one that could stop them/ You said they sold out, well I guess you got something in common.

Furthermore Rising had this to say about the windy city representative, "he needs to be careful because no matter what his opinions are, he's still got a lot of white fans. He comes over here and does gigs here; most of his fan base here is white. I mean, who was that 'Electric Circus' album aimed at? That wasn't aimed at no one in no ghetto, that wasn't aimed at no black people, that wasn't a black album. If he keeps wanting to use the term sell out, what was that album all about?"

On HipHopGame.com, where the song is posted in its entirety, Hip-Hop heads have posted mixed reviews. One comment reads, "you may think he's being a hypocrite but I say he's being truthful and I can tell for a lot of people the truth hurts. "
            Code:
            http://rapidshare.de/files/4042766/rising_son_doc_brown_yungun_-_Dear_Common.mp3.html

THIS IS MY POST

Comment

Well, I no longer have any respect for him, simple as that.

And pardon my ignorance, but what DO dreads symbolize?
              Yeah I talk shit, I'm cocky with it
              It's hard for you to admit it but I'm one of the best in it

Comment

Originally posted by Mista Sinista
                Well, I no longer have any respect for him, simple as that.

And pardon my ignorance, but what DO dreads symbolize?
                I THINK it's supposed to symbolize the rebellion made by black people sometime in the mid 20th century when they chose to embrace their blackness, because before that many blacks were labouring to have their hair treated and died so it was thin. straight and blonde like white people. (Most) white people can't have dreads because you need thick kinked hair, so it was like them embracing and showing their pride in their race.

I support the idea in essense, no one should be ashamed of the skin/hair or whatever else that they were born with.

Comment

Fuck Common!!!!

I'll Kill Him!
                  ALLSORTSOFSHIT.BLOGSPOT.COM - Download Spot I Frequent
                  MYSPACE.COM/ONSOMEOTHERSHIT
                  - My Personal Spot

Comment

common fuck off

Comment

(**off topic** I think I saw Common in the "scary movie 3", I wasnt paying too much attention but I think he was in..and the other day he was on "girlfriends" too.. I didnt know he was into "acting")

About these statements..I think they're pretty ridiculous. Id like to hear a more justified statement bout this, although its pretty enough

Comment

Common is probably my favorite artist, but I think anyone who believes this is being ignorant. Just my two cents though.
                        Black master of any trade under the sun
                        Talk sharp like a razor blade under the tongue
                        clear my path and come get your captain hung

~One Luv

Comment

Originally posted by BoundlesS_MusiC
                          Common is probably my favorite artist, but I think anyone who believes this is being ignorant. Just my two cents though.
                          I don't see why you think anyone who believes this is ignorant. While it was published in a magazine and magazines are not the best sources in the world he has done nothing to deny this. On top of that a rap group in England has made a diss track to Common about the comments he made which he hasn't responded to either.
                          Originally posted by Deon
                          Can easily make threads with 1k+ views and 100+ comments

Comment

last time common came nice was Can I borrow a dollar

Comment

Originally posted by o2k
                              last time common came nice was Can I borrow a dollar
                              Thatt's a pretty hot cd taking into account that it's old and low budget. Common himself hates on that record though.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 10:00 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Deborahlanker  
                              Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 08:25 AM
                              0 responses