Interesting Immortal Technique Anecdote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Immortal Technique Anecdote

Firstly I'll say that I am a fan of his music and that I don't think his "revolutionary" style is a gimmick, but this little anecdote will probably give those who think he's a gimmick more ammunition.

Anyway my sister attends Hunter High School, which is one of the top 5 High Schools in NYC. I was at my parents house today and she asked me if I knew him, I said that yeah that he's pretty cool. She said that one of her teachers went to school with Immortal Technique, which is the same school my sister goes to. Her teacher said that Immortal Technique always tried to act like he had street cred back in High School even though his parents were rich and lived on 5th ave (5th ave. is where the most expensive real estate is in Manhattan for those unfamiliar with NYC) and that he'd always get into fights to affirm his street cred.

I was always under the impression that he was brought up in Harlem, but I don't see why her teacher would make this up.

Anyway this begs the question do you think he's just a gimmick? I won't opine on this I don't know him personally and with the evidence presented I don't know what to believe, nor does it bother me I just enjoy his music.
    Originally posted by Deon
    Can easily make threads with 1k+ views and 100+ comments

Why would he rap about moving his mom out of the ghetto and growing up in Harlem just for the fuck of it? I don't really believe this teacher.

Comment

I always believed IT was poor. That said, I can't figure out why the teacher would lie. It's not like IT is big enough for the teacher to be jealous of or anything.

Whereismarshall: You are so dumb. Damn.

Comment

It's also interesting because he acts like he was ignorant in his youth. If he was there's no way he would have gotten into Hunter High School it's one of the hardest schools to get into in NYC, if not the hardest and theres no way my sister is lying because I never told her about him she just knows I listen to that political underground shit. So it's either the teacher that's lying or IT, if it's IT than thats pretty weak either way I still hope he makes some kind of difference with all the exposure and money he's getting.

Comment

Originally posted by F2theN
          I always believed IT was poor. That said, I can't figure out why the teacher would lie. It's not like IT is big enough for the teacher to be jealous of or anything.

Whereismarshall: You are so dumb. Damn.
          Shut the fuck up faggot. I'm dumb because we all know how well 9/11 conspiracy rapping mixed with politics sells sooooo well.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteGangsta
            It's also interesting because he acts like he was ignorant in his youth. If he was there's no way he would have gotten into Hunter High School it's one of the hardest schools to get into in NYC, if not the hardest and theres no way my sister is lying because I never told her about him she just knows I listen to that political underground shit. So it's either the teacher that's lying or IT, if it's IT than thats pretty weak either way I still hope he makes some kind of difference with all the exposure and money he's getting.
            Well that makes sense because IT seems like someone who would do very well in school. He sounds like the most 'educated' modern rapper (NOT meaning the smartest, although he is very smart)

Originally posted by whereismarshall
            Shut the fuck up faggot. I'm dumb because we all know how well 9/11 conspiracy rapping mixed with politics sells sooooo well.
            I don't get what you're trying to say here.

I was saying you were dumb because you asked why he'd rap about being 'ghetto' when it is a commonly known fact that lots of rappers to it for credibility in the street.

Comment

Originally posted by F2theN
              I don't get what you're trying to say here.
              I was saying you were dumb because you asked why he'd rap about being 'ghetto' when it is a commonly known fact that lots of rappers to it for credibility in the street.
              I'm saying that why would some rich suburban guy go into the ghetto and start rapping about how he's from the streets? If he grew up wealthy chances are he would never associate with people in the projects and shit. Also in terms of him rapping about the ghetto to sell, he also raps about conspiracies and shit, which doesn't sell, it would be pointless to fake something like that.

Comment

I'm saying that why would some rich suburban guy go into the ghetto and start rapping about how he's from the streets? If he grew up wealthy chances are he would never associate with people in the projects and shit. Also in terms of him rapping about the ghetto to sell, he also raps about conspiracies and shit, which doesn't sell, it would be pointless to fake something like that.
                I don't want to ruin WhiteGangsta's thread so I'm going to finish this here.

You're asking why IT hangs out in the ghetto? Does he even? I don't know. I'm not even from New York so I don't understand what social economic grid it's built on. The fact is that lots of rappers were once middle class but loved the music so they did what IT may have done according to WG's thread.

Comment

I'm saying that why would some rich suburban guy go into the ghetto and start rapping about how he's from the streets?
                  5th ave is not suburban that's a metropolitan area and depending on what street he lived on he wouldnt be more than 10-20 minutes away from Harlem by train. If he lived around 80th or 90th street he'd be but 10 minutes away walking distance so that sort of proximity could have had an influence on him. It's not entirely out of the question. Plus he was into hip-hop as a youth so Harlem would have had an influence on him especiallty if he thought he was "hard", plus the teacher said he would always try to act like a thug. This all speculation though to have a definitive answer first it would have to be confirmed that he did go to Hunter High School. If someone goes to one of his concerts it'd be interesting if you could ask him that.

Comment

Other graduates from the last two decades include rappers Dujeous, Immortal Technique, one half of the duo MasterMinds, and Young MC, broadcaster Max Kellerman, TV writer/producers Adam Horowitz and Eric Kaplan, TV and political speechwriter Eli Attie, cartoonist Kyle Baker, MAD writer Desmond Devlin, science fiction writer Michael A. Burstein, novelists Thisbe Nissen and Amy Sohn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_College_High_School

Comment

Other graduates from the last two decades include rappers Dujeous, Immortal Technique, one half of the duo MasterMinds, and Young MC, broadcaster Max Kellerman, TV writer/producers Adam Horowitz and Eric Kaplan, TV and political speechwriter Eli Attie, cartoonist Kyle Baker, MAD writer Desmond Devlin, science fiction writer Michael A. Burstein, novelists Thisbe Nissen and Amy Sohn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_College_High_School
                      Thanks I didn't even think to look there.

This certainly gives the teacher some credibility. It's also worth noting the school is 10 minute walking distance from Harlem. This also proves he wasn't ignorant as a kid it is an extremely hard school to get into. But maybe he never really claimed he was an ignorant youth though and I was wrong I just got the idea that he was from "You Never Know" which although fictitious it does have some grain of truth to it. That he attended this school doesn't prove he was rich or lived on 5th ave though. My sister attends that school and we are far from opulent, so I still believe he could have lived in Harlem. Also who knows maybe this teacher was someone that got beat down by Tech and he's just hating.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteGangsta
                        Thanks I didn't even think to look there.
                        This certainly gives the teacher some credibility. It's also worth noting the school is 10 minute walking distance from Harlem. This also proves he wasn't ignorant as a kid it is an extremely hard school to get into. But maybe he never really claimed he was an ignorant youth though and I was wrong I just got the idea that he was from "You Never Know" which although fictitious it does have some grain of truth to it. That he attended this school doesn't prove he was rich or lived on 5th ave though. My sister attends that school and we are far from opulent, so I still believe he could have lived in Harlem. Also who knows maybe this teacher was someone that got beat down by Tech and he's just hating.
                        I also read that admission to the school started in 7th grade, the process I think to get admitted, he might've gotten accepted just because he was from harlem and maybe he had good scores on tests and stuff.

Comment

he also raps about conspiracies and shit, which doesn't sell.
                          I actually think conspiracies are very trendy and popular nowadays.
                          Build Big Muscles Fast

Foods That Will Kill Your Appetite

Comment

Originally posted by Chatalean
                            I actually think conspiracies are very trendy and popular nowadays.
                            No. To an extremely small group of underground listeners it is though.

Comment

Kimani Rogers is from MasterMinds and he's a smart rapper.

Political/Conspiracy shit is trendy in the subculture. He found a niche. Notice his old material isn't political? He may not appeal to as big an audience with that content but a lot of his audience will buy his all CDs and go to his shows because they get erections when they day dream about being a revolutionary.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by nordicsk5, Today, 04:21 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post nordicsk5  
                              Started by nordicsk5, Today, 04:17 AM