April 28 - Proof Shooting Victim May Sue Slain Rapper's Estate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April 28 - Proof Shooting Victim May Sue Slain Rapper's Estate

A source exclusive to SOHH has revealed that the family of the second fatality in the shootout that resulted in the death of D12 member Proof are planning to take legal action against the slain rapper's estate and Shady Records.

As SOHH previously reported, Keith Bender and Proof got into a heated dispute at Detroit's C.C.C. nightclub (on April 11) leading to Proof both pistol-whipping and shooting Bender. Proof was then gunned down by Bender's cousin.

Proof was pronounced dead on arrival at St. John Conner Creek Village while Bender died a week later after being in critical condition at St. John Hospital and Medical Center.

"Geoffrey Feiger, the lawyer who represented the guy who Eminem assaulted with a gun for kissing his wife, will represent the Bender's family," the source told SOHH. "It could be as early as Friday or Monday."

At press time, representatives for Interscope Records, Shady Records' distributor, said they had not heard anything about the lawsuit.

Proof (born Deshaun Holton) was buried last week in Detroit, while Bender's funeral took place earlier today.

Mario Etheridge, Bender's cousin, was released on bail yesterday (April 26) after waiving his right to a preliminary hearing. He is charged with carrying a concealed weapon and discharging a firearm in a building, but not with Proof's death.

According to SOHH's source, Detroit's rap community is not reacting well to Etheridge's release.

"Everyone is waiting for him to turn up dead, honestly," explained the source. "Trust me; other bodies will be dropping soon."

Randall Upshaw, Etheridge's lawyer, told reports after his client's release that extra security measures were being taken to ensure his safety.

Etheridge is to be arraigned in Wayne County Circuit Court on May 3.

While fans and friends continue to hail Proof as a kind and generous person who helped bring Detroit's rap scene to the forefront, important political figures view him otherwise.

"A prominent reverend from Sharpton's National Action Network chastised Detroit for showing up at Proof's funeral, and Eminem and D12 spending $40K on Proof's casket but the Bender's had to struggle to come up with $4K to bury him," added the source. "He called Proof a felon, criminal, and thug, as is the media. The establishment has taken sides against Proof."

Even where Proof was buried seems to have ruffled some feathers. The 32-year-old rapper's body was entombed near civil rights icon Rosa Parks at Woodlawn Cemetery in Detroit.

"I don't see the appropriateness of someone like this young rapper being buried with Rosa Parks," William McCauley, Parks' nephew told The Detroit News. "She was a person of nonviolence. And obviously this young rapper had a different creed when it comes to resolving issues."

SOURCE
    Originally posted by midwestwitch
    If I were to find out it was you would be responsible for a teenage boy losing every ounce of a social life, cell phone, gaming consoles etc until he graduated high school and left for college.

Fucked up shit.
    Bless it
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Respect isnt something that is given, you have to earn it.

Comment

Hundreds mourn vet killed in Proof shootout

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...604280354/1003
      If I were to find out it was you would be responsible for a teenage boy losing every ounce of a social life, cell phone, gaming consoles etc until he graduated high school and left for college.

Comment

wow.... he got shot.... and they still talking shit... wtf?
        look at my avy, does it look like i give a fuck?

Comment

let em go to court...they longer they keep running their mouths...the more truth to the story comes out.

Comment

why the fuck is the reverend bitching about how much money they spend on Proof's casket. It's not theyre fault that Benders family is broke
            Que Sera Sera

Comment

Originally posted by Pukin Dawgs
              let em go to court...they longer they keep running their mouths...the more truth to the story comes out.
              Thats a good point there. The more often they have to tell the story, the more mistakes can slip in.
              Bless it
              -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Respect isnt something that is given, you have to earn it.

Comment

Originally posted by Manuel
                Hundreds mourn vet killed in Proof shootout
                http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...604280354/1003

Damm after reading that article i realize this dude led a productive lifestyle while Proof slept with groupies, drank liquor and did drugs. This totally changes what i think about this entire situation. When you compare the two guys and the story thats come out about what happened and who shot first. Its really easy to believe that story to be the truth.
                Chicago Bears = NFC champions 2006

Comment

Starring at the world through my rearview

Comment

Originally posted by Tweek
                    while Proof slept with groupies, drank liquor and did drugs. This totally changes what i think about this entire situation. When you compare the two guys and the story thats come out about what happened and who shot first. Its really easy to believe that story to be the truth.
                    I can't believe you said that shit, lol ..

If Proof's mom, one of his kids or a D12-member comes out with stories about Proof, would that change your mind too? If someone writes a biography on him, and mentions all the positive things, would that change your mind?

Comment

I said the article you posted changed my mind you idiot. Everyone knew what Proof was up to. I just thought the other guy was a degenerate hating on a rapper cus he got money, But the article shows thats clearly not the case.

Do me a favor next time and think before you try to sound clever.
                      Chicago Bears = NFC champions 2006

Comment

wow shocker.. i'm surprised it took them this long... ya had to know this was coming...

Comment

^*2 guy above u* but u did make it seem like thats all proof did, which is why he reacted that way

P did a lot for his community that we don't even fuckin hear about, so this dude did shit 4 ppl, well so did proof, their 2 different ppl, they work in different ways and have different ways of doing the same thing. giving back to ppl.

never fuckin act as if proof only got drunk, did drugs and fucked groupies
                          Mystery
                          Another Fallen Soldier
                          ~Rest In Piece Marvin, Mark, Leona, Proof & Kasey J~

Comment

lol its not proof fault that bender was broke

Comment

^Haha yeah it sucks to be poor though man, I'm probably gonna just hit the dirt minus a coffin if I stay as broke as I am now.
                              I'm pre-disastrous, I fuck shit up before it happens
                              Like blown engines of Airplanes with snorin' captains

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by kafi87o, 05-28-2021, 07:37 AM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Vic Romano  
                              Started by Cokiger, Today, 06:16 AM
                              0 responses