some Universal Acclaim mah niggles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some Universal Acclaim mah niggles

i check out MetaCritic a lot, as im sure a lot of you guys do... and im in the process of downloading a couple albums that i havent heard a word about and im just curious as to what some of you think... mind you, all of these albums were rated VERY highly on MetaCritic.. all are up in the highest of the high, Universal Acclaim...

Fleet Foxes- Fleet Foxes

and

The Hold Steady- Stay Positive

so yea.. these two albums were the ones the interested me the most.. im downloading them as i type and im curious what you guys think.. whoever has listened to them... post in here.. or, shit.. link me to a post in the reviews forum.. anything... i just want to know what some of your opinions are on these albums... thanks mah nigs!

Fleet Foxes are too soft for me.

i listened to "Lord Im Discouraged" from The Hold Steady, its pretty good, im getting a Wallflowers vibe from them.
    Last edited by NyKill; 07-23-2008, 06:01 PM.
    "Step into my dojo, mofo..."

Comment

Monk, if you like The Hold Steady you should listen to their 2006 album Boys and Girls in America first. It's a classic. I have no idea if their newest album is as good.

As for Fleet Foxes, my favorite review site gave them a glowing review: http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl...es-fleet-foxes

I think it's kind of boring but it is supposed to be brilliant so I'm going to give it another listen sometime soon.
      NEPatriots 3x World Champions
      UNC Basketball 5x National Champions
      Charlotte Bobcats UHHHHHHH

Comment

I listened to 2 or 3 songs off of Stay Positive and couldn't get into them
        Originally posted by SteWonYou
        sometimes you have to do what you have to do, and that might involve sucking dick
        Originally posted by Temerity
        understood that you don't fuck with Swizz
        Originally posted by Nianco
        Swizz...*Sighs*..I really hate you so much. I just want you to know that.

Comment

I absolutely love the Fleet Foxes album - just such a rich sound. It will, without a doubt ,rank amongst my top albums of the year, and may even clock in at the top if my enjoyment of it continues to grow with every listen in the way that it consistently has so far.

Haven't had a chance to listen to the new Hold Steady album yet (although, I am - like most - a big fan of their last two albums, Separation Sunday and Boys & Girls In America, and plan on checking it out soon)

Another universally acclaimed album that has only come to wider attention this year is Bon Iver's For Emma, Forever Ago (it's go an average score of 89!). If I'd listened to this as fully last year, when it recieved its initial independent release (rather than this year's high profile re-release via Jagjaguwar), I would have ranked it as one of my absolute favorites. One of the best folk records of the last few years (only really up against Joanna Newsom and The Bowerbirds)
          OZ HIP HOP.COM
          THE RAP CELLA

Comment

Wow, upon relisten I have discovered that Rondell Beene is absolutely right, Fleet Foxes is excellent. I have no idea how I didn't like it at first, now I'm hypnotized by the layered vocals.
            NEPatriots 3x World Champions
            UNC Basketball 5x National Champions
            Charlotte Bobcats UHHHHHHH

Comment

Fleet Foxes are excellent folk to the core, and heavily influenced by the likes of CSN&Y and Bob Dylan. He's barely 23 and only joined his first serious outfit in 2006, but frontman Robin Pecknold radiates the kind of raw talent and divine sense of purpose shown by musical icons twice his age. I own both Fleet Foxes and Sun Giant, and listening to the opening track of the former reminded me of my first time hearing the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds; Pecknold & Co.'s vocal harmonies are that good. Their soft sounds may not be everyone's cup of tea, but no one can doubt that they are a talented bunch of musicians and singers serious about their craft. They also give some of the best live performances I've seen:
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bJC330fBPM
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1tbX_NJn98
              Last edited by Polysemy; 03-19-2009, 11:39 AM.
              Originally posted by Derty JaSoN
              my spelling is HORRIBLE
              Originally posted by Sleep
              i lost my virginity at home listening to rock but i sodomized my 1st ass in college with rap

Comment

Fleet Foxes ftw!!! Listening right now, actually...Ragged Wood and White Winter Hymnal are fucking unbelievable. I hear they're trying to put out their sophomore album by the end of the year.
                Originally posted by SteWonYou
                sometimes you have to do what you have to do, and that might involve sucking dick
                Originally posted by Temerity
                understood that you don't fuck with Swizz
                Originally posted by Nianco
                Swizz...*Sighs*..I really hate you so much. I just want you to know that.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 12:39 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post Deborahlanker  
                Started by basketballeven, Today, 10:36 AM
                0 responses