Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some updates on Travis Barker & Mark Hoppus

Mark Hoppus update:

ey, how’s it going? yep, it’s been over a month since the last post on this here blog/website thing. what can i tell you? the new found glory record has been tracked in full, and in fact the first song got mixed today. i gotta say, this record album cd itunes download is going to be pretty gosh-darned nifty. the songs are really good. it’s kind of like they simultaneously went back to their roots, while at the same time pushed themselves into new ideas. the record is catchy, edgy, rock-y, and just generally awesome. it’s so good that if i don’t win producer of the year and we all get at least four other grammy’s for this album, there is no justice in the world. <—-(that little emoticon there indicates that the previous thought was meant as a joke. we should get FIVE grammys each…) did i oversell it there? nah.

here is the much-obligatory photo of us on the last day of tracking, standing in front of the sound board after a hard month of the guys recording, writing, singing, and playing their instruments while i sat around and told them to do it again. how’s THAT for a run-on sentence?

to be honest, i think every person in this photo deserves to be on youhavedumbface.com. we just all look really really terrible. wow. is that really what my hair looks like? anyway, i’ll post it on dumb face also.
    Travis Barker interview (+44 News,his new cd & blink-182)

Better known as the shirtless, heavily tattooed drummer of Blink-182, Travis Barker is nothing short of an extreme lifestyle mogul. From his Famous Stars and Straps clothing line-soon to celebrate its 10th year of outfitting the world in all things edgy streetwear-to his drum-heavy rock remixes of commercial pop fare, Barker has built an empire epitomizing hardcore. In anticipation of the X Games—an event he attends every year to cheer on FSAS-sponsored competitors—we chatted up Barker about his solo record, his favorite X Games events and what's holding up the Blink-182 reunion.

So you're a fan of the X Games?
    Absolutely. I'm taking my kids this year, so it'll be a lot of fun having them check it out. I love supporting skateboarding in any way, shape or form.

What are your favorites events?
    I love watching the street skateboarding, freestyle motocross, biggest-air and best-trick competitions. Those are the ones I tend to migrate to.

Any athletes you're a fan of?
    I mean, obviously, I'm biased to the athletes in the Famous Stars and Straps family because I love them and am proud of them. Jereme Rogers is going to compete this year, as well as Kurtis Colamonico, so I'm looking forward to seeing them dominate.

Tell me more about the FSAS family. Who's in it? What does it mean to be a part of it?
    Well, we sponsor an eclectic team of skateboarders, BMXers, DJs and ultimate fighters. I don't have a background in business, apparel or extreme sports, so I don't know how other people run their companies, but we're more like a family than anything else. We go to concerts, we get dinner, they go on tour with me, we all live relatively close to each other. We just support each other. I have a personal friendship with every one of our team members, so it's a different energy here than, say, at Billabong, where I doubt the owner of the company takes that kind of time out of his schedule. It's a different dynamic we have at FSAS. We're just a big family.

Do you have any extreme hobbies?
    I actually grew up skateboarding, but I wasn't very good at it. It took breaking my hand once and my foot twice to realize that I needed to stop because I was a way better drummer. When it happened, I was told I'd be lucky if I didn't limp or have a permanent handicap if I recovered, so I can't really do that kind of stuff anymore. I still love watching it all though, everything from boxing to mixed-martial-arts fighting.

Famous Stars and Straps is coming up on its 10th anniversary. Any big plans to celebrate?
    Next year we're going to be making a lot of throwback T-shirts from the beginning. We'll be throwing out our favorites and making them available again, as well as coming out with a short documentary film on the brand, its growth, what it stands for and what we have planned for the future.

How involved are you in the design process?
    I approve everything. Nothing is approved without me. I do have an amazing staff of artists that I work with, but I'm very involved. Not even a label on a T-shirt gets manufactured without my OK.

In terms of music, what are you up to these days?
    I'm working on my solo record right now, which will probably have eight original songs on it and then about six rock remixes of some stuff I've done over the last couple of years.

Your rock remix of Rihanna's "Umbrella" was hot. It sounds kind of like you're making a Santana-like album, where you drum on every track with different artists.
    Yeah, it's kind of the same thing. I'm collaborating with artists in really different genres like the Game, Swizz Beatz and Mickey Avalon. I'm hoping to work with Damian Marley and Willie Nelson. It's going to be really interesting.

Your music and fashion has always blurred the line between rock and hip-hop. Have you gotten any negative criticism for not staying within the confines of one specific genre?
    I've always listened to different kinds of music, from Buddy Rich to Buck Owens to Run-DMC to A Tribe Called Quest. I was never harassed about it, but people would always look disappointed when I would tell them what I was listening to and I didn't say NOFX or Nirvana.

How are things going with your band +44?
    We're going to be a lot more proactive about it after I get my record finished and Mark [Hoppus] finishes producing the two records he's doing this year. He's in the middle of producing the New Found Glory record.

Any chance of a Blink-182 reunion?
    I don't know. You know, to be honest with you, I haven't spoken to Tom [DeLonge] in five years. I speak to Mark [Hoppus] every day, he's one of my greatest friends, so...that's the status of that. I think everyone would have to be friends, and I think we'd all have to want to do it in order for it to happen.

official dope boys video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W85TPepF8Rg

lol, I wonder if he'll be rapping on his solo album. thanks for posting

Comment

Good read.
      =W=
      My other aliases:
      On The Shelf
      Masai
      justp1ayin
      TheMan

Comment