HIP HOP LIFESTYLE

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coldplay - Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends (2008)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coldplay - Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends (2008)

1. Life In Technicolor
    2. Cemeteries of London
    3. Lost!
    4. 42
    5. Lovers In Japan/Reign of Love
    6. Yes/Chinese Sleep Chant
    7. Viva La Vida
    8. Violet Hill
    9. Strawberry Swing
    10. Death and All His Friends/The Escapist

Critics' reviews:
    http://www.metacritic.com/music/arti...lay/vivalavida

Will post my own soon
    5.88%
    35.29%
    23.53%
    17.65%
    11.76%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    5.88%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    Originally posted by SteWonYou
    sometimes you have to do what you have to do, and that might involve sucking dick
    Originally posted by Temerity
    understood that you don't fuck with Swizz
    Originally posted by Nianco
    Swizz...*Sighs*..I really hate you so much. I just want you to know that.

6/10 after first listen...not voting until i give it couple more

Comment

yea, i still have to give it a full listen.. i cant judge it yet

Comment

good call not voting off first listen the album needs time

Comment

I'll do a track-by-track review again I guess. But yes, to all those above choosing NOT to judge it on first listen, you are correct. Give it at least 3 or 4. This is a record that WILL grow on you.

1. Life in Technicolor - What a way to open an album. It's apparent right from the start that the presence of producer Brian Eno will be an asset, as Life in Technicolor opens the album with a lush, driving instrumental that sets the tone for the rest of the album. My only complaint here is that it could've probably been a little longer and had an even more orgasmic climax. A

2. Cemeteries of London - Very strong track. It's my own fault for judging this song by its title and an early review, because I was expecting something a lot darker and more distinctive. This is still the type of track that will get stuck in your head quite easily, and the production once again stands out. B+

3. Lost! - I read somewhere that this is Lennonesque and I couldn't agree more. There's a nice acoustic bonus version as well, but I prefer the album version (possibly just because I heard it first). Still sounds sonically different from most of Coldplay's past work. A-

4. 42 - One of my favorites here. It opens up dark, somber, even morbid, not unlike something Radiohead may have made a few years ago. It then progresses, changing tone, pace, and melodies entirely, turning into something more upbeat but still undeniably catchy. One of the standouts here. A

5. Lovers in Japan/Reign of Love - Good or bad, the resemblance to U2 feels nearly uncanny with Lovers in Japan. The lyrics can occasionally be laughable ("Soldiers, you've got to soldier on" ), but then Coldplay have never been known for their lyrics. Reign of Love is a calm, quiet, nondescript ballad that might have fit better where The Escapist is, at the end of the album...but that would mean cutting The Escapist, which I wouldn't support. It's still quite effective where it is anyway. A-

6. Yes/Chinese Sleep Chant - Here's the one that some people say they can't get into, but I think it's one of the best things on the whole album. Both songs are somewhat daring, being that they sound like nothing Coldplay has ever done before. Yes finds singer Chris Martin's delivery at a low, throaty pitch, a far cry from the falsetto he became famous for, and the tone is decidedly dark. I'm not sure how you'd categorize Chinese Sleep Chant, but it's beautiful. No homo. A

7. Viva La Vida - I didn't quite get this impression when I first heard it, but I think this will go down as one of Coldplay's best songs. It's shocking how well they convey an underlying tone of sadness against the nearly euphoric musical bliss one might pick up on first listen. A

8. Violet Hill - Catchy beyond belief, and saved by its production. This easily could've been fashioned into a less dark, less driving, Speed of Sound-esque catchy first single, but Eno adds more menacing guitars, a Pink Floyd-esque intro, and some thumping drums to shake things up and make it a whole hell of a lot more interesting than it probably even deserves. A-

9. Strawberry Swing - Nice song. There's not much I can say about it on an artistic level (except to turn into a broken record and once again praise its production) because it's quite typical of Chris Martin on a lyrical level. And yet the good mood it manages to put me in is undeniable. Not a highlight by any means, but I'm glad they didn't cut it. B+

10. Death and All His Friends - Had to grow on me, but it's an excellent way to end the album. Lyrically it's probably the album's strongest point, and the transition to quiet and calm to urgent and energetic feels natural and real in a way you might not expect. The Escapist isn't a standalone thing; the only spot it would work is here at the very end, and it does its job as a great outro. A

So as you can see, I love this album. Near classic IMO, and probably the best thing Coldplay has never done. Final grade would be an A-, so a 9/10 is what I voted.
          sometimes you have to do what you have to do, and that might involve sucking dick

Comment

i love this album... it doesnt sound like typical Coldplay... it has a lot of NEW and crazy production that i never thought id hear from them, you know? i love the song Yes/Chinese Sleep Chant and so many others... like 42.. another great song ... i gave the album 2 solid listens and it's great! id vote an 8.5-9....

Comment

I'm glad Coldplay finally stepped away from their fucking awful piano recital style, shit was getting soooo tedious.

This album gets a 9/10 from me, will review more if anyone cares to read what I think...no wiseass comments Monk!!!
              NEPatriots 3x World Champions
              UNC Basketball 5x National Champions
              Charlotte Bobcats UHHHHHHH

Comment

Do it !!!!!111

And yes Monk...you named two of the best tracks on the whole album, clearly

Comment

Here you go Swizz:

Life In Technicolor - Definitely opens a complete Radiohead vibe, but when the guitar/mandolin/whatever the fuck it is comes in, you know that niggga Eno is in the house. A complete atmospheric triumph, the type of shit I did not think Coldplay capable of because they didn't have to turn to a big swooping chorus to sound big and swooping. 5/5

Cemeteries of London - The "la la la" chorus I think is a bit cheap, but the actual verse melodies are much stronger. The way the percussions drop in at 0:46 shows how drummer Will Champion lives up to his fucking baller name. The music on this track definitely outshines the vocal performance, the Edge-ish guitar is a great mood-setter and the drums are just outstanding. 4.5/5

Lost! - Another great rhythm by Champion kicks off one of the album's catchiest tracks. "Just because I'm losing doesn't mean I'm lost" kicks off Chris Martin's terrible horrible lyrics, but fuck it the man can write a melody so I'll pardon this niggga, no Nixon. The "every door I ever tried was locked" melody on the chorus is great, but the "I'm just waiting til the light goes off" part of the melody is fan-fucking-tastic, containing the absolute perfect amount of melancholy without being cheesy. Congratulations to Martin for this masterful performance. 5/5

42 - Opens on some X&Y shit but the singing is well delivered and Martin finally pens a solid lyric. Then the band comes in a few minutes later and pulls the rug out from under him, and just when you think he's gone he comes in with his "you thought you might be a ghost" melody that is just perfect. The dynamic between singer and band is extraordinary. Another classic. 5/5 (So far the album is consistently solid so I'm expecting for a let down sooner or later)

Lovers In Japan/Reign of Love - The keyboard/production at the beginning of this track sounds absolutely incredible. I was so wary of the let down that I fell for the music even harder than I normally would. The bouncy vibe paired with the guitar won't let me pay attention to Martin's once again horrible lyrics. When Martin sings "See what I'm ALL about," his voice is surprisingly strong; although less memorable than the last couple of songs, the first portion of this track is still excellent. Reign of Love, however, is very dull and should have been cut out because it just lulls the album when it had a great rhythm going. 4/5

Yes - I don't know how I feel about the intro guitar on this one. I think it's pretty standard fare, but Buck is no Page so whatever. Martin tries out a deeper singing voice like he wants to sound more soulful/blue - it doesn't quite work but it's not a failure. The strings really bail this song out, giving it a very Indian-influenced twang that was both welcome and unexpected. When Martin readopts his louder singing voice, it's definitely a relief but the song works fine. The second half of this track, with the fuzzy shoegaze style guitars and Martin's simple but poignant "ooooo" melody is fucking brilliant. Completely absolutely unexpected given the context of this record, it sounds straight out of the early 90's. The guitar on it is wonderful, and Martin knows how to subdue himself so he doesn't clash with the instruments. Great stuff. 4.5/5

Viva La Vida - When I heard this sheeyit on the Apple commercials the first thing that struck me was how godawful Martin's lyrics were - "I used to rule the world...but that was when I ruled the world" lololololol LMFAOOOOO at that lyricism. Fuck it. The strings, the explosion of sound for the chorus, the catchy melody...I can't help but love this song. Brownie points on the subtle "whooo-aoo-oos" at the beginning of the chorus, make everything much more epic without being heavy-handed. 5/5

Violet Hill - Fuck the chorus on this song. If not for Fix You, this would definitely be the worst melody Martin has ever put out as a single. The melody/chorus is so simplistic and annoying, which is a huge deal to me because Martin's strength is that he knows how to write one hell of a chorus. Upon repeated listens, the verses become catchy enough to make me overlook the terrible terrible "If you love me, won't you let me know," plus the guitar and drum clashes give the track a surprisingly aggressive tone. Still the worst song on the album, easily. 3.5/5

Strawberry Swing - Really nice guitar and hand claps on the intro make this track sound every bit as ebullient and cheerful as the title suggests. Then Martin comes in sounding reminiscent and kind of kills the vibe: he does a great job making things sound happy in a past-tense way, which in turn makes the present sound like it's sad. I don't know if that makes sense, but he definitely knocks it out of the park. I love the acoustic guitar's inclusion on this song, which could have easily been corny but works great, probably thanks to Eno's excellent ear. The "without you it's a waste of time" melody is beautiful. 5/5

Death and All His Friends - Quiet intro makes way for the electric guitar and the drum drop: ho hum, but since the rest of the album is hardly conventional I kind of like the normal-ness of this track. The high-pitched guitar solo combined with the gang-chorus is excellently delivered, plus the lyrics are good for once! The album fades away with the second half of this track, which is definitely on some Radiohead shit instrumentally. It's a good, calm, soothing closer to an album much more vigorous and exciting than anything I ever expected from a band that released Clocks AND Speed of Sound.

Final thoughts: I've seen this album getting panned by critics, which is completely beyond me. I think it's instrumentally perfect and melodically perfect (except for the chorus on Violet Hill). The lyrical flaws aren't nearly enough to make me overlook the first two positives. It's experimental, but not Kid A. It's catchy, but not X & Y. People will look back years later and wonder why they treated Coldplay with so much contempt, because Viva La Vida will be remembered as one of the best British albums not by Radiohead in the 2000s.

Comment

Great review Luis, and as you can see from my thoughts above, I agree with the vast majority of it. You should post in my Raconteurs thread too.

Comment

I've got coldplay live @ bbc want me to upload?

Comment

Life in Technicolor - A guitar driven instrumental that is masterfully rendered and brilliantly layered on top of Brian Eno's unmistakable synth ambiance. This is a strong piece to start the album.

Cemeteries of London - Chris Martin lets in a darkness not overly present on his past material, resulting in work even more appropriate for a moody soundtrack than an album.

Lost! - Enchanting, to say the least. The slowly evolving and uplifting chorus is a powerful statement. The percussion taps into the nostalgic vein of Queen's "We Will Rock You." The music feels as though it's washing over you, similarly to The Speed of Sound. Excellent mix.

42 - I would argue this is far more Lennonesque than the previous song, especially with respect to the morbid lyrics. The string arrangement is an obvious nod to The Beatles' Across The Universe, and the heavier section of the song shares characteristics with the Fab Four's late 60's work. It's a schizophrenic composition; the rhythmic mood changes frequently. A highlight.

Lovers in Japan - A mixture of U2 and Bruce Springsteen. Chris Martin's vocals are almost identical to Bono's soulful wailing, but it's excusable as Brian Eno's work is breathtaking.

Reign Of Love - A lullaby of sorts. It doesn't really go anywhere, but it works within the album's sonic parameters.

Yes - The exotic, eastern flavored strings are an elegant touch, but this song is not particularly memorable.

Chinese Sleep Chant - Emblematic of the album's overindulgent (but effective) concept. It's extremely ambient and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Viva La Vida - Pop traditionalism and distinctly modern approach finds lush flower here. The charging surge of music functions both as a fine introduction and its own stirring, quietly powerful anthem, a good sign for the rest of the album. Brilliant.

Violet Hill - Composed of an aggressive instrumental, the song flows quite well into the chorus. No new territory explored, but the juggernaut bridge is monstrous and chill-inducing.

Strawberry Swing - Fusing dream-pop elements with Martin's ever-present melancholy, Coldplay manage to craft a beautiful song that is boldly reminiscent of their earlier material. This song has a cloud-like, almost drug-induced vibe to it. Soulful chants are set to the uplifting instrumental, and the subtle flare and nuances take the band into a powerful, celebratory climax.

Death And All His Friends - The band has always been gifted at crafting soaring anthemic music driven by pivotal vocal melodies, pounding drums, a haze of guitars and electronica blips. This song is no exception.

The Escapist - An ambient conclusion; the band softly taps Radiohead on the cheek as if to say, "Yes, we're good too."

While not capturing the lyrical depths of Parachutes, Coldplay take a giant step forward in terms of their musicianship. This is an album that should be listened to in its entirely, rather than for its individual numbers. Viva La Vida is a breath of fresh air and a brilliant return to form by the talented Brian Eno. 8/10

"Living is easy with eyes closed.."

Comment

Swizz.. you got this forum made... i fucking expect you to keep this place active! dont make me delete it or something because it's dead as fuck!!!!11

OHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
                          BTW!!!! i want someone (Swizz... or anyone with good taste... and Luis ) to review the recent Guns n Roses shit ASAP! i wanna know what mah nigz here think! DO IT Swizz!! or someone else... like i said, even Luis (who hates everything that exists) would have a welcome review

Originally posted by Luis T.I. View Post
                          no wiseass comments Monk!!!
                          lolz.. what are you talking about? i love Coldplay

Originally posted by Swizz View Post
                          You should post in my Raconteurs thread too.
                          he should.. The Raconteurs album is amazing... definitely better than Coldplay's album.. but then again, i shouldnt compare the two... they're really different bands.

Comment

Monk, I meant no wiseass "I don't want to read anything by Luis!!!" comments rofl.

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                              Swizz.. you got this forum made... i fucking expect you to keep this place active! dont make me delete it or something because it's dead as fuck!!!!11
                              Monk, I've been busy but I'm trying...stfu or I'll ban you from my section

Originally posted by Monk View Post

OHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
                              BTW!!!! i want someone (Swizz... or anyone with good taste... and Luis ) to review the recent Guns n Roses shit ASAP! i wanna know what mah nigz here think! DO IT Swizz!! or someone else... like i said, even Luis (who hates everything that exists) would have a welcome review
                              I haven't listened to that shit because there's no indication that it's the retail album...at least as far as I know...but I guess I'll give it a whirl

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Deborahlanker, 03-14-2021, 09:03 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Heridan
                              by Heridan

Started by Deborahlanker, 02-13-2021, 08:19 AM