0.00%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    Originally posted by SteWonYou
    sometimes you have to do what you have to do, and that might involve sucking dick
    Originally posted by Temerity
    understood that you don't fuck with Swizz
    Originally posted by Nianco
    Swizz...*Sighs*..I really hate you so much. I just want you to know that.

This don't need a song by song review.

Phenomenal album.

10/10!!!!!!!

Comment

1. Taxman – Dryly satirical George Harrison-penned opener that is, of course, immensely catchy. Proves that Harrison was just as valuable a writer as Lennon and McCartney when he wanted to be. Not groundbreaking as social commentary goes, but not without substance either. Great way to start off the album. A

2. Eleanor Rigby – Absolutely classic, and one of the best songs Paul McCartney ever wrote. Utilizes an orchestration that was at the time revolutionary, and tells a story of unflinching sadness and poetry. This is one of the best Beatles songs ever, clearly. A+

3. I'm Only Sleeping – Omggggggg, this is why I love John Lennon. There's nothing to this song at all, really, pretty much a senseless batch of lyrics about liking to sleep. But every inch of it is melodically brilliant. This is one of those songs that no one really ever mentions (including myself), but I manage to fall in love with it again each time I play it. A

4. Love You To – As I mentioned in my review of Within You Without You from Sgt. Pepper, George Harrison's Indian influence is unquestionably an acquired taste. And this one isn't done quite as well as WYWY. But it's still great stuff (if this is your thing). B+

5. Here, There, and Everywhere – Fucking great little ballad…Beatles, I love you guys so much. A

6. Yellow Submarine – This is like the ugly inbred cousin of every song on this album, I feel like my IQ (and integrity) is wavering every time I witness it because of the artistic juxtaposition it creates, but it's sort of lovable anyway. I feel like I really should hate it, but I don't, not even close. Ringo for the motherfucking win. This song probably doesn’t deserve this grade but I'm going to give it anyway. A-

7. She Said She Said – This epitomizes the Beatles' strengths of the pre-Revolver era: perfecting the art of the pop song. There's nothing inherently clever or innovative about this song but they did such a good job at this type of shit. A-

8. Good Day Sunshine – …This too. Even better. It's just so fucking…HAPPY. This album is like a melodic gang-bang, I feel like every song is jam-packed with hodgepodges of the catchiest tunes I've ever heard. A

9. And Your Bird Can Sing – Continues the trend of perfect pop song after perfect pop song. Each one of these feels like it could've been a #1 hit, easily. Nothing feels innovative about these today, but it's easy to see how an album this consistent and forward-thinking (for its time) could've shaken the music world to its foundations like this one did. A

10. For No One – This is the type of track McCartney does brilliantly. It's sort of just fucking beautiful, it's so simple that I feel like I'm overreacting praising it, but I'm really not. It does what it wants to do absolutely perfectly. Great, great song. A

11. Doctor Robert – Lennon writing about a drug dealer, omfg I get it now!!!11 Seriously, when this feels like one of the weaker songs on an album you know you've got a muhfuggin masterpiece. The frantic, upbeat verses come to a perfect halt with the glorious organ-backed chorus. A-

12. I Want To Tell You – Awesomeness, not really one of the most immediate songs on the album but still pop in its best form. Great harmonizing, strong lyrics. A-

13. Got To Get You Into My Life – Opens with an orgasm of horns and then gives way to one of the catchiest songs on one of the catchiest albums of all time. In this genre (poppy, upbeat love song is what I would label it as, I guess), this is as good as it gets. A

14. Tomorrow Never Knows – Fucking genius. If you want to oversimplify it, this song single-handedly catapulted the Beatles from clever and talented to visionary and brilliant. Notable for being an early entry into the genre of psychedelic rock, and also for using such ahead-of-the-times technology as studio looping, vocal distorting, and other technological trickery, Tomorrow Never Knows is one of the greatest achievements in Lennon's career as a Beatle. A+

Clearly a 10/10, this is obviously one of the best Beatles albums
      sometimes you have to do what you have to do, and that might involve sucking dick

Comment

I have this album cover as a shirt btw guys, it's so sick

Really I'm just bumping this thread so it doesn't flop, true story though

Comment

One of, if not my favorite.

This was the first Beatles album I ever listened to. I love em all.
          Jesus is risen, it's no surprise. Even he would martyr his mama to ride to hell between those thighs
          Come down
          Get off your fuckin' cross
          We need the fuckin' space to nail the next fool martyr

Comment

I love it but I can't give it a ten.

9.5/10

Taxman and Doctor Robert are great songs no doubt but those are the two songs I'm not always feelin.

Comment

Yeah Swizz, I can honestly say your review was pretty on point in what my opinions are. I'm Only Sleeping's one of my favorites and is almost the story of my life on a day to day basis. I also love how you used the word "juxtaposition". I was like, wtf is that shit?? haha. Swizz droppin' knowledge. I always like learning new words.

Originally posted by Swizz View Post
              I have this album cover as a shirt btw guys, it's so sick
              lol, that's cool. I need to get me a fucking Beatles shirt already. I've been looking, but haven't really found any nice simple ones.

Originally posted by Swizz View Post
              Really I'm just bumping this thread so it doesn't flop, true story though
              It looks like it is. Damn.

Revolver FTW!

Comment

WTF @ this thread flopping, but anyway yeah Jasko, the shirt is badass, you should get one. I also have an Abbey Road one and a Let It Be one (those two are black). I was gonna get a cool one last week but decided I already have enough Beatles shirts

Comment

Confession time...

..Ive never gotten into the Beatles. Never sat down to a full album. I will start now, I promise.

(When youre 15 and have only really been listening to music for 5+ years [and good music for about three] its hard to cover everything. Ive tried to cover as much as possible in hip hop, but my other genres always suffer.)

Comment

^Do it niggga, start with Abbey Road or Sgt. Pepper

Comment

Ok Ill start looking.

Its gonna be kinda exciting getting into new stuff. Like although Im far from hearing every hip hop album, its pretty rare that one I listen to jumps close to the top of my list. With rock, Im basically gonna be totally indulgent and start out with masterpieces loi. Today I plan on getting some Beatles stuff, Ok Computer, and idk what else

Comment

WPG I got into music EXACTLY the way you're doing right now.
                        NEPatriots 3x World Champions
                        UNC Basketball 5x National Champions
                        Charlotte Bobcats UHHHHHHH

Comment

Don't know if you'd like them, WPG. Some people who are solely hip-hop heads cannot break out of that gangster appeal... but I'm glad that you're going to give it a chance. I hope you do like them.

I feel bad for people who only limit themselves to rap.

Comment

To be fair, I was the same way as WPG. I listened ONLY to rap in middle school, and then around '04 started branching out to a few individual rock songs. Then Encore dropped, probably jaded me, made me realize that relying solely on rap isn't the way to go. Then what I like to think of as my personal musical renaissance (rofl) happened in '05 when Oasis, the White Stripes, and Coldplay all dropped albums and I got into each band and became obsessed with rock.

So yeah, I rambled a bit there. But the point is, if you're willing to branch out, it can often prove quite rewarding; now I listen to about 20% rap and about 80% other stuff

Comment

Jasko I think youre not quite getting where Im coming from. I think about hip hop pretty much 24/7, but there is no "gangster" appeal to me; I listen to mostly backpack/conscious/alternative stuff, which probably makes me more open to all kinds of music than if I was listening to the Chronic on a daily basis.

And as of right now I dont have any plans to say "oh Im going to listen to 50% rock music." Theres too much rap that I love and not enough time in the day. But I definitely want to become educated on the classics and gain a better understanding.

(Although as I type this Im listening to Tonedeff haha)

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 11:58 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Deborahlanker  
                              Started by Sivkounzana, Today, 11:22 AM
                              0 responses