HIP HOP LIFESTYLE

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory? (1995)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory? (1995)

1. Hello
    2. Roll With It
    3. Wonderwall
    4. Don't Look Back In Anger
    5. Hey Now!
    6. (Untitled 1)
    7. Some Might Say
    8. Cast No Shadow
    9. She's Electric
    10. Morning Glory
    11. (Untitled 2)
    12. Champagne Supernova

One of the best albums of the 90s, no matter what you think of them now

Post your thoughts niggas
    46.67%
    20.00%
    26.67%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    6.67%
    Originally posted by SteWonYou
    sometimes you have to do what you have to do, and that might involve sucking dick
    Originally posted by Temerity
    understood that you don't fuck with Swizz
    Originally posted by Nianco
    Swizz...*Sighs*..I really hate you so much. I just want you to know that.

1. Hello – Great way to start the album, teasing us with Wonderwall but instead beginning with one of the truest rock songs on the album, with some superb lyrics and great work from the band (I particularly love the drumming in this song). This song is melodically amazing, and the first time I listened to it, I knew I was going to love this band. A

2. Roll With It – Nice little song, it's pop in its purest form but it's so undeniably catchy that it's bound to get a strong reaction (whether it's love or hate is down to personal preference). It's one of the least substantial songs on the album, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be here. B+

3. Wonderwall – Obviously this is one of the most well-known Oasis tracks, and one of the best love songs of the 90s. This album was the band's lyrical height, and it's apparent from the effective simplicity at work here. It's melodically undeniable, lyrically pitch-perfect, and musically near perfection. Classic song. A

4. Don't Look Back in Anger – I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've listened to this song, particularly when I first got into Oasis. Once again, their lyrics here are superb (in particular when compared to their later work), but this song was like a revelation for me musically. I understand that the intro is eerily similar to Lennon's Imagine, but I'm particularly referring to Noel's perfect vocals, the balance found in production (not overdone, just right), and the soaring, stadium-ready chorus. One of my favorite songs of the 90s, without question. A+

5. Hey Now! – Upbeat and amiable, but nowhere near the heights on the rest of the album. It's catchy and has some strong lyrics, but it's overlong by a minute or so and doesn't quite reach the gold standard of the rest of the album. B

6. (Untitled 1) – Ok, whatever

7. Some Might Say – As I've hinted above, Oasis was at a melodic peak on this album that would be comparable to the Beatles (don’t cry sacrilege, I do not actually think they're as good as the Beatles). This is another song that's just so undeniable and immediate that it refuses to leave your head. The album is occasionally produced murkily, without the clarity I would have preferred, and this song falls victim to that problem. It's never serious enough to ruin the track though; this is yet another strong point on a uniformly strong album. A

8. Cast No Shadow – Fucking beautiful in its simplicity. Many songs here build a wall of sound (hence the minor complaint of some murky production) so that, whether you find it effective or ineffective, every band member’s presence is more than represented. Here is a song contrary to that trend, stripped down and straightforward in a manner that could be described as Lennonesque. Probably the most straight-faced and somber song thus far on the album, but the band pulls it off brilliantly. A

9. She's Electric – It's a straight-up pop track not unlike Roll With It near the album's start, but it's more in the vein of Digsy's Dinner from the band's debut album, Definitely Maybe. There isn't much substance here either, but luckily the lyrics are nowhere near as bad as Digsy's Dinner (something about coming to dinner for lasagna lolol). Much has been said about the band's fascination with the Beatles, and indeed, this isn't much different from a short and simple pop confection McCartney may have dropped in the middle of Revolver or The White Album. To make up for its utter lack of ambition, it achieves the goal it set out to achieve perfectly. A-

10. Morning Glory – And to think that this used to be one of my least favorite songs on here (*smacks self in nuts*) until I saw them live in early '06 and this one unexpectedly fucked me in the face. The song isn't as inviting as much of the other content on the album; it's more rock than anything else here, moreso than Hello and certainly moreso than any of the other tracks. It's busy and loud, and a good precursor for the band's follow-up, 1997’s Be Here Now (which boasts perhaps the busiest, loudest production I can think of). A

11. (Untitled 2) – Strange, and while it initially felt seemingly pointless, it does segue quite perfectly into the final song, so no complaints here.

12. Champagne Supernova – This song is epic to the highest degree; like they did earlier on the album with Wonderwall and Don't Look Back in Anger, Oasis have crafted an absolute masterwork, a song of earnest and profound lyricism, building instrumentation, and endless ambition. Clocking in at 7 and a half minutes but never wearing out its welcome, Champagne Supernova will forever be known as one of the greatest Oasis songs no matter what sort of comeback they're able to achieve. Not to mention, it will always be one of my favorite closing songs to any album. I love everything about this. A+
    sometimes you have to do what you have to do, and that might involve sucking dick

Comment

Someone post in here regarding this classic album before I go on a bad-repping spree

Comment

Lmfao at this of all threads flopping, I thought EVERYONE loved this album? Anyway, Some Might Say melody = best melody on the album in my opinion, it's incredible. You'll probably disagree with this but fuck it: Don't Look Back In Anger >>>> Champagne Supernova
        NEPatriots 3x World Champions
        UNC Basketball 5x National Champions
        Charlotte Bobcats UHHHHHHH

Comment

10, easily

^I also love don't look back in anger, and i love Champange Supernova but some of it is just like "Wtf?"

"Slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball"

Whatever, still a great song, and an amazing cd

Comment

Originally posted by r.i.p. shady View Post
            i love Champange Supernova but some of it is just like "Wtf?"
            LMFAO Word.
            NEPatriots 3x World Champions
            UNC Basketball 5x National Champions
            Charlotte Bobcats UHHHHHHH

Comment

easy 10...though I wouldn't give some of the A's that you gave to some songs...

Comment

Originally posted by Luis T.I. View Post
                Lmfao at this of all threads flopping, I thought EVERYONE loved this album? Anyway, Some Might Say melody = best melody on the album in my opinion, it's incredible. You'll probably disagree with this but fuck it: Don't Look Back In Anger >>>> Champagne Supernova
                Yeah Some Might Say is great. And idk, I go back and forth, but overall I actually think I agree with you about DLBIA being better than Champagne Supernova. Both are masterpieces but DLBIA was an obsession for a very long time, and still is one of my favorite songs. Can you imagine if Whatever had been on this album too?

Originally posted by r.i.p. shady View Post
                10, easily
                ^I also love don't look back in anger, and i love Champange Supernova but some of it is just like "Wtf?"
                Whatever, still a great song, and an amazing cd
                I always thought that was intentional, but I could be wrong

Originally posted by 514balla View Post
                easy 10...though I wouldn't give some of the A's that you gave to some songs...
                See I don't really get that...if you think it's a 10, shouldn't you think most of the songs are A-worthy? I'm curious to hear which ones you didn't think were up to par

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39NS7...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by Swizz View Post
                    See I don't really get that...if you think it's a 10, shouldn't you think most of the songs are A-worthy? I'm curious to hear which ones you didn't think were up to par
                    It's not that the other songs aren't great, they are, but they don't deserve to have the same letter grades as songs like wonderwall, don't look back in anger and champagne supernova do because these songs are just that much better...

P.S: watching that YT video, makes me wonder what it would have been like if Boone and Charlie switched characters?...Boone does look a lot like the gallaghers doesn't he?

Comment

Fair enough

And good point about Boone

Comment

9/10

A fucking excellent album. It's a pity that the Gallaghers are assholes.
                        Twitter

Comment

6/10.

I dont know why but I could just never get into this album as a whole, I like Definitely Maybe better.
                          National Champion North Carolina Tarheels

Comment

Which is why I plan on killing you in your sleep

Comment

*ups thread*

Listened to this album today, such a classiccccc

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by cbdgumiesreview, Yesterday, 07:57 AM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Allanmathew  
                              Started by buykarascbd, Today, 05:16 AM
                              0 responses